The Black Theatre Troupe celebrates Black women playwrights in its new series MY VOICE IS MY POWER beginning October 2015 and concluding in February 2016. Submissions are currently being accepted!
Our goal is to “give voice” to this underserved and underrepresented segment of the arts community. Celebration will be held at Black Theatre Troupe, in downtown Phoenix, AZ. We hope that this series will illuminate the work of new talent to broader audiences and serve as a showcase for this dynamic group of playwrights.
- Scripts must be original works for the stage that have not been published or produced.
- Works should not be adaptations or obvious first drafts.
- Musicals will not be accepted n this round. However plays with original music will be accepted on a limited basis providing the submission is accompanied by a high quality recording.
- Works that have had workshop analysis and evaluation are eligible.
- Only submissions by female playwrights of color will be accepted.
- The strongest finalists will be works that illuminate issues that concern or impact women of color.
- This project is open to ALL female playwrights of color. However submissions from playwrights in our preferred region of the immediate Southwest (which includes Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas and Utah) are strongly encouraged.
- Playwrights may submit up to two (2) 10-MINUTE PLAYS no longer than 10 pages NOT including the synopsis, title and character pages AND two (2) ONE ACT PLAYS between 20 and 45 minutes in length.
- Playwrights may submit only ONE FULL LENGTH PLAY between 90 and 180 minutes
- Scripts must use the 12 point size in Arial, Courier New or Times New Roman fonts.
- A separate page must include:
GENRE (COMEDY, DRAMA OR PLAY WITH MUSIC)
- ALL PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION MUST BE ON A SEPARATE PAGE
- Plays will be read, adjudicated and scored by a panel of producers and directors from several organizations in our target region. Those receiving the highest scores be included in our reading series October 29 through November 1, 2015 at The Helen K. Mason Performing Arts Center (home of the Black Theatre Troupe in Downtown Phoenix, AZ).
- New works for our Staged Reading Series February 25 through 28, 2016 will be selected from the winning group of works in our October/November Reading Series. These staged readings will be directed and performed by regional professionals and will allow the playwright to continue to work on and develop her play between the initial fall reading and the start of rehearsals for the February Staged Reading Series
SUBMITTING YOUR PLAY
The playwrights email submission package must include the following attachments:
- Personal Submission information (attach a Word or PDF document)
- Playwrights Name
- Complete Address
- Preferred email address
- Preferred Telephone number
- Title of play and Category
- A synopsis of the work (NO MORE THAN 500 WORDS)
- A brief development history of the play (NO MORE THAN 500 WORDS)
- Script – PDF or Word document
- Email to: email@example.com. The subject line of the email submission must include: Last Name - Title of Play and Celebration Submission
- If submitting more than one script, please submit each in a SEPARATE EMAIL with the exact same information.
- Incomplete submission packages will not be accepted.