Sunday, May 17, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: TIM FISCUS

Tim Fiscus
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate, continues today with a conversation with local actor, musician and healthcare provider at Kindred/Dignity Hospitals, Tim Fiscus.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

"I had just wrapped up a delightfully fun run of Nice Work If You Can Get It at ART playing Keyboards in the orchestra, and was only a few days from attending a callback at Hale Centre Theatre (my most frequent haunt) when everything came to a sudden halt.  The show I was called back for will be coming back next season, so I’m very excited for that!"

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

"I have the somewhat unusual combination of actor and healthcare worker - When I’m not on stage, I work in a hospital as a therapist - and this has been a difficult period of time with lots of changes, challenges for the sick and their families.  The good news is that this means I have kept my employment and paychecks coming in, unlike many of my friends in the arts.   I had to modify my schedule to work on weekends, but since the theaters have gone dark this hasn’t been a problem.   I’m also the dad of two young girls, and finding diapers and wipes has been hit and miss!   In general, I’m one of the lucky ones.  I have a family member who barely made it through COVID-19 alive but thankfully is in rehab now and is expected to mostly have a full recovery.  "

How has your daily routine changed?

"The biggest change is that instead of going for pho and rehearsal after work (my normal theater M.O.), I’m going home and stripping off my dirty scrubs at the door and showering before I can hug my girls.   I have enjoyed all the time with my family.  I also run a board game podcast, and I’ve been able to produce almost double my normal number of episodes!  "

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"I truly think that we will have a bit of a renaissance of live theater after the lights come back on.   We will have an audience reenergized to engage in live entertainment, families who can’t wait to get out on the town and take in a show.   We will have actors more appreciative than ever to have the amazing privilege to be the ones who provide that entertainment.   I can’t wait!   Receiving lines might be a glove and mask affair?   Hah! "

When do you think that’ll happen?

"I would hope Fall/Winter of 2020, but wouldn’t be surprised if that didn’t happen.  I have seen literature from the ACDA estimating 1-2 years before choirs can start performing safely again!  I have been performing as Bob Cratchit in Hale’s Christmas Carol for 4 years and it would be a sad day if I couldn’t go on again in 2020 in that role. "

Tim Fiscus in A Christmas Carol - Hale Centre Theatre 2019
photo by Nick Woodward-Shaw

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"I have a board game podcast and I’ve been pumping out new episodes!   My wife and I put out a quarantine karaoke video, which was good fun.  My days are busy at the hospital, so that’s about all the time I have.   "

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"With the singular exception of Game of Thrones the last 8 years, I haven’t watched a single TV show.   I don’t ever watch TV.  "

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"Just a deeper dive into my board gaming hobby - this is a good time to be a board gamer- we are stay-at-home types anyway.   I’ve also been doing some continuing education for my medical license, though that’s about as boring a hobby as anyone could have.   I almost fell asleep during that sentence. "

How has this experience changed you?

"I’m less likely to read social media other than theater goings-on and watching my amazing friends perform.   I’m more appreciative of the little things in life it’s easy to take for granted.   I appreciate my career in healthcare more, and have been driven to help my very sick patients be able to communicate with their families in their hospital isolation. "

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to now that the stay at home order is starting to be lifted?

"As obvious as it sounds, I’m most looking forward to getting back to auditions, doing the character work and getting back on stage to do what I love best!  

As an added thank you - I want to thank PHXStages.com and you Gil for the amazing glue to help hold our community together when we are all separated!  Kudos!  "

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.