Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: JON GENTRY

Jon Gentry
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of interviews that focuses on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to our current stay at home mandate continues today with a conversation with Childsplay Associate Artist Jon Gentry.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

"I was very fortunate, both the Childsplay Production of Elephant and Piggie and the New Plays Reading of The Truth About Winnie Ruth Judd closed just as the stay at home orders were put in place."

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

"As with everyone else, restricted interaction with friends and family, I've never been one to go out on the town, but specifically being asked to stay home messes with your head a bit. I am fortunate enough to live near a mountain so am able to go for some solitary hikes. I am also still working so again very fortunate."

How has your daily routine changed?

"I've worked to keep up my basic routine-- at 5:30, coffee , my computer time, to check in on friends, the news, trolling the internet for interesting unique folks out there - and then just hunker down with tv, video (actually that's what I normally do in the evening). I've never been an overly social person, but that being said I miss just being able to get up and go when the mood strikes me."


Jon Gentry and Dwayne Hartford in A Year with Frog and Toad at Childsplay
photo by Tim Trumble

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"The interpersonal safety measures, that I think will be imperative, it will be interesting to see if patrons are hungry to go back, I'll be interested to see if the format and choice of plays will alter to also insure the safety of the artists - I'm not sure we rush into the status quo season wise."

When do you think that’ll happen?

"One would hope for in the Fall  in some capacity. But I think that's a 'flexible' Fall.."

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"We have been creating online content at Childsplay not only for student classes but also just for out reach to stay connected with our community. I've started teaching online two weeks ago- which I'm really enjoying, and also have been involved with virtual reading of new works and the recording of some as well"

Jon Gentry
with Yolanda London, Bob Sorenson, Mark Anders, and Kyle Sorrell
in Around the World in 80 Days at Arizona Theatre Company

photo by Tim Fuller


Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"Poirot Mysteries, Mr Novack, The Closer. I tend to also binge the Broadway shows that DO NOT have bootlegs on line.  Also, I've become a Podcast binge guy:  Mobituaries, Life is Short (Justin Longs), Murder made Me Famous, Showmance"

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"I was never a hobby guy to begin with - well ok I've started to bake a bit.."

How has this experience changed you?

"I find I'm appreciating seeing all of the talents of people all over the country. I become very appreciative or all the amazing talent out there."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to when the stay at home order is lifted?
 
"Seeing friends of course, but I will welcome my Starbucks mornings-- my version of sitting on the patio and reading the paper over coffee." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.