Thursday, May 14, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: JANIS WEBB

Janis Webb
photo by Laura Durant Photography

by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to our current stay at home mandate, continues today with a conversation with local actor and director Janis Webb.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

Webb: "We had just finished the first weekend of the show I was currently directing (Jake’s Women at Desert Stages) when the stay at home order was mandated. At the time we were hoping to be able to pick up the show in mid-April (ha!) and then maybe May (double ha!) Now our fingers are crossed for August. The cast continues to run lines on Sunday afternoons via Zoom. I am really hoping they get a chance to finish the run…they are all amazing! "

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

"Since I am retired, I did not have to worry about my job like so many others. My husband works in an ‘essential’ field, so he goes in to his mainly empty office building daily. Since he only works 2 miles away, he comes home for lunch everyday which breaks up the day for me! I really cannot complain about the isolation and boredom when so many others are struggling to feed their families or are working in hospitals around the clock. "

How has your daily routine changed?

"Actually, not a lot. Except for working in theatre and lunches/happy hours with friends and lord knows I miss my massages and pedicures (and a haircut as I am starting to look like Cousin It) I try to stick to my routines like walking my dog daily (although she really misses the dog park and her ‘friends’ ) "

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"I’m just not sure how theaters will practice social distancing…but one thing I am sure of…NO MORE MEET AND GREETS POST SHOW!! Hallelujah! "

When do you think that’ll happen?

"I seriously think we may be looking at January 2021. I know that sounds depressing and I pray it will be sooner of course. My main worry is how will the theatre community survive financially? Most theaters are existing on a shoestring. Paying rent and salaries etc. for months without income… Also, in all honesty, our audiences are mainly the elderly population. When will they be comfortable to join in group activities? "

Janis Webb in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof at Scottsdale Desert Stages Theatre
photo by Wade Moran


What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"Well, currently I have been cast in a show that opens the end of July. So far I have not heard if we are postponing, so I work my lines and score my script daily. "

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"We are big sports fans and subscribe to sports channels and packages (which of course are currently useless) so we FINALLY subscribed to Netflix. It has helped, but we so miss the Dbacks and of course ASU basketball. So, we have watched The Crown, Mindhunter and Grace and Frankie. Currently we are binging Ozark. "

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"A friend sent me a Tarot deck and guide awhile back and I have been examining that. It is fascinating to me. I don’t do puzzles, they give me a headache, but I admire those who so. And I read….a lot. I usually read play scripts in the summer, but my heart just hasn’t been able to do that. "

How has this experience changed you?

"I think I am so much more grateful for what I have…and of course so very happy to be able to have someone to share the time with. I worry about those who are alone/single. I try to check on them often. "

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to when the stay at home order is lifted?

"The first thing I will do is work out a way to hug my kids. They are in California so it has been hard not seeing them. And I am really looking forward to martini lunches and wine dinners with friends! "

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.