Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: RANDALL THORN

Randall Thorn

by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate, continues today with a conversation with Randall Thorn, who teaches Drama, Tech Theater, Musical Theater, Voice and show choir at
Learning Foundation and Performing Arts Charter School, Gilbert Campus.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?  

Thorn: "Being that we are a 7 thru 12 grade performing arts charter high school, we are always in production for something. We were about half way through rehearsals of 42nd Street when the crisis began which involved both my Junior High musical theatre and Senior High classes combined of about 125 students. Obviously it was devastating for them as well as my Seniors who missed their final show. my show choir also lost a big trip we do every few years to Disney World in Florida where they would have competed and performed publicly. Again, a big disappointment for them but I stay in touch with them regularly through technology and keep them hopeful and engaged in the arts."

How has your daily routine changed?

"I try to get up and go to bed the same time as if school was in session for my mental health. I often go in to school to send out various tasks and assignments to my classes. it does give me free time to plan and prepare for next years productions and shows. We produced three major full musicals, 2 cabaret style shows, as well as several plays, concerts and dance performances."

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts? 

"I'm sure that everyone is realizing that for a time at least, we probably may be suggested to hold back on attendance and even seating people with numerous seats apart. I know for now at least, many of my colleagues throughout the valley are doing very interesting and creative ways of keeping theater alive and engaging online. However, that can only do so much for the art of theatre. At some point we have to reengage with  a live audience."

When do you think that’ll happen? 

"I'm hoping first from an educational standpoint that schools will reopen this fall with some limitations but allowing us to at least engage with our young actors and performers. Professionally, well that is a bit more complicated. I've been reading sources for example that even doubt if our Broadway shows in New York will reboot this fall. it could be longer but I hope not. I think common sense and good precautions could allow for some live performing."

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time? 

"I read...ALOT! I am  constantly digesting literature that will allow me to grow as a director and producer and educator of musical theatre, theatre and music. I also have been practicing what I have been sending to my students and taking advantage of streaming shows on various platforms. I finally was able to enjoy Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom sequel, Love Never Dies, that was available for free. I believe there are two important parts to being creative in any way..... doing it and also seeing it...lots of it."

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched? 

"I am a bit of a Netflix addict at times. Ozark was amazing and now I'm finishing up WACO. I find shows that are based upon real events or real situations very alluring. Then there's Tiger King....."

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on? 

"I have been teaching and directing, acting and producing for almost 30 years now but most people don't know that I am an avid Motorcyclist and Jeeper. So, I have been spending time on the transformation of my wrangler into an authentic Jurassic Jeep, lol. Jeeps take time and money!"

How has this experience changed you? 

"I definitely have a deeper appreciation of life and what it has to offer because of the quarantine. I love to observe and what I notice is beautiful. People are kinder, families are outside together biking, hiking, and the environment is thriving again on a healthy level. I hope we can continue this after its over. It also has stressed to me how life should be lived well every moment of every day because tomorrow is never promised."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to not that the stay at home order has been lifted and some businesses have started to reopen?

"Seeing my students again and creating great musical theater again."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.