Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: Matthew R. Harris

Matthew R. Harris in Guys and Dolls at Hale Centre Theatre
photo by Nick Woodward-Shaw
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate, continues today with a conversation with actor Matthew R. Harris .

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started? 

Harris: "I was performing as Nathan Detroit in Guys and Dolls at Hale Centre Theatre in Gilbert. We had just completed our 4th week out of a 7 week run. I was also in rehearsals for Brigadoon, which was to open at Hale the week after we closed out the run of Guys and Dolls."

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation? 

"I was laid off from my job with Event Network due to closure the day after I found out about the theatre temporarily closing. I applied for Unemployment when my limited sick time ran out, I was denied Unemployment, and am having to reapply, and I am still at this moment in time waiting on my stimulus check."

How has your daily routine changed? 

"It has changed a lot, unfortunately. I don't get up as I did when I was employed. I find that my all around schedule is way off, at times I don't realize what day it is. I'm up all night into the late morning and I sleep through the entire day and wake up after the sun has set, most times I don't want to even get out of bed. I eat alot, more than normal I would say, I binge watch shows and films, and play videos games. I mostly lounge around in the same clothes from the day before and the day before that. I am someone who deals with depression at times, like so many, so the self isolation is not great for me."

Matthew R Harris in The Producers
Scottsdale Desert Stages Theatre
photo by Dana Butcher

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts? 

"My hope is that it remains a popular outlet for performers and that audiences get out and continue to support the arts. I feel truly alive when I'm on the stage, and I know that is how many artists feel. We just want to get back to our happy place."

When do you think that’ll happen? 

"I think it will happen later, rather than sooner. I believe it is important to stay safe and make sure we are completely in the clear before everything gets back to normal.We don't want to rush out in a craze and then have to take a step backward."

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time? 

"I have been participating in a virtual readthru group on Facebook. I have taken part in readings of And Then There Were None, Sunday in the Park with George, August: Osage County, The Chekhov Dreams, The Diviners and The Boys in the Band. I have Bandstand, and The Prom coming up soon

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched? 

"Carnival Row, Veronica Mars, Special, and currently restarting Charmed."

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on? 

"Do Carbs count as a hobby?"

How has this experience changed you? 

"It has made me appreciate all the things we sometimes took for granted. Grabbing a bite with a friend, going out to dinner or a movie with your castmates after a show, date nights, trips to the mall, getting a haircut, just to name a few."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to now that the stay at home order has been lifted and some businesses are starting to reopen? 

"Getting together for some fun times with good friends."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.