Saturday, May 16, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: CONNOR KLEIN

Connor Klein
photo by Stephanie Yampolsky
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to our current stay at home mandate, continues today with a conversation with youth actor Connor Klein.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

Connor: "Yes, at the time of the stay at home order I had just been cast as Bobby in A Chorus Line at Desert Stages Theatre."

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

"I was actually in New York City for the first time seeing shows when Broadway shut down, so our trip got cut short. Once we got back home I was informed that Chorus Line would be postponed until further notice, but we have started the rehearsal process over Zoom."

How has your daily routine changed?

"I've gotten a lot of extra time to sleep in and play video games, but I also haven't been able to see friends and be onstage."

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"I think we will have to take a lot more precautions and make sure that we are as safe as possible before we can open theatres back up."

When do you think that’ll happen?

"I really don't know, I would love to resume rehearsals as soon as possible, but I also know that we have to listen to the professionals and make sure that it is safe as possible before bringing everyone back together."

Connor Klein as Davey, with the cast of Newsies at Scottsdale Desert Stages Theatre
photo by Jen Wilbur

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"I have continued to work on my performance skills and work audition pieces to be ready when things open up again and filming videos for my theatre class of me performing, as well as performing a few times on Cabaret for Change's live streams that raise money for some of my favorite youth theatres"

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"I binged both seasons of All American on Netflix in about 4 days."

How has this experience changed you?

"It has really made me appreciate all aspects of everyday life, like the ability to go to school and rehearsals. "

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to now that the stay at home order is starting to get lifted?

"I am looking forward to hugging all my friends and then jumping back up onstage and getting to work."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.