Sunday, June 30, 2024

10 Questions with BACK TO THE FUTURE and Chandler native Casey Likes, who is in town this week in RENT

Casey Likes in Back to the Future
Photo by Matthew Murphy and Evan Zimmerman

By Gil Benbrook


21 year old Chandler native Casey Likes appeared in dozens of shows at Chandler High School and in theatres across town, winning Best Lead Male at the 2019 ASU Gammage High School Musical Theatre Awards (the Jimmy Awards) that would take him to New York City to represent the Valley at this annual awards program for high school students.  

While Likes didn’t win at the Jimmy’s he did get the attention of casting agents and would go on to create the role of William Miller in the stage musical adaptation of the popular film Almost Famous in 2019 at the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego. Covid delayed the Broadway transfer of that show but Likes would make a splash headlining that stage production and another film to stage musical adaptation on Broadway within a nine month period. Almost Famous opened in the fall of 2022, and Likes followed that playing Marty McFly in Back to the Future in June of 2023.

One of the theatres Likes appeared in productions at in town several times was Greasepaint Youth Theatre and he comes back to the valley, on his week off from Back to the Future, to co-direct, produce, and star in a semi staged concert version at Greasepaint of the iconic musical Rent

In between performing on Broadway, and preparing for Rent, Likes sat down to answer some questions. 




What inspired you to take on the dual role of producing and starring in a concert version of Rent here in Phoenix while performing in Back to the Future on Broadway? 


Casey Likes: “And directing! What is wrong with me?! I don't know! I have never done all of that before. However from a very young age I have loved bringing the right people together for a common goal and a great product. Even if it's just a great night out for dinner. And what a great night of dinner this will be.”


How do you balance the demands of starring in a hit Broadway show with the responsibilities of preparing for Rent?


“I've been calling into rehearsals via facetime, listening in while I'm in rehearsals or meetings out here in New York. Also I've been email planning and working with Maureen Dias Watson, our co director, on the concept and design of it all with our great design team and our brilliant music director Alan Plado for months. I am in this phase of life where I'm doing anything that brings me joy. If it doesn't bring me joy then why put the little time I have free into it? But a powerful story, a perfect role, my friends, my family, my hometown, this is worth the time I have left.”


What made you decide to select Rent as the musical you wanted to produce and perform on your vacation from Back to the Future?


“Well it had to align with a LOT of criteria I set for myself. It had to include most of the cast of Next to Normal from a couple years ago which I produced, as well as many other performers I know that I wanted to work with and show off, for example this is the first time I will be on stage with my mom AND sister at the same time. Secondly it had to be something that felt important and exciting for the community and for me. Theatre has lacked community since the pandemic, and I think an event like that has been crafted and cared for is a great way to get everyone back in the same place again. On a break from performing I'm performing so trust me when I say If i didn't think Rent was the ONE, I wouldn't have done it. “




When Rent first premiered you weren't even born yet. At the time it was an incredibly timely show that addressed the AIDS crisis and its impact on performers in New York City while today it's more of a snapshot of that moment, since there are medications helping those dealing with AIDS and the disease is no longer a death sentence.  How do you see the themes of the musical still resonating today?


“I love this question. I always told myself that if I ever did a production of Rent in any capacity there would need to be two things; a "Why" and a "Mimi". I don't usually agree with the word "Why" when it comes to art. Usually I think "why not". However I think there are actually "why nots" for RENT. Moodern audiences don't understand the references, and the story without context turns into a stellar song cycle with universal themes that are absolutely still powerful, but are even more powerful with context. So with this production and my research I found there is no way to "Modernize" RENT, you just have to treat it like a period piece, and educate the audience via direction. We have some creative ways we are doing that, and there is a short Documentary I am showing with Tony Winner Roger Bart about his friendship with Jonathan Larson will be the ignition for the flame of the whole night.”


What challenges have you encountered while transitioning between the high-energy performances of Back to the Future and the emotionally charged numbers in Rent


“In a post Dear Evan Hansen world, much of the work I did was emotionally charged with Almost Famous on broadway, The Outsiders workshops, and a film I did called Dark Harvest. Back to the Future has been allowing me to explore the opposite end of that spectrum with comedy. And with that education I've found how much comedy you can find in drama, and vice versa. I'm excited to explore that more. In terms of challenges, I rather think of it as just fun”


Casey Likes (right) in Disney’s Newsies- Greasepaint Youth Theatre 2019
Photo by Laura Durant



Give us some information on the co-stars you’ve lined up for this special event. 


“Like any production I produce, I try to assemble the absolute best group of people for the jobs, we have done that here. You've either seen them before on TV, Off Broadway, or Film and that's why they are here, such as Ethan Drew and Brita Filter, who is in drag in this show, which they are famous for doing on Ru Paul’s Drag Race. Or there are names you might not have seen before that are here because you will soon and they are some of my absolute favorite performers out there. One of which being our “Mimi” Christian Johannsen,  who, like I said, finding was necessary to do this production.”


What specific moments or songs in Rent resonate with you?


“So many, but of course Rogers song “One Song Glory” is extremely special. Not just because I understand that song as a writer and performer but also because the songs lyrics speak to basically the theme of our entire night from the Roger and John documentary on through the end of the show. Jonathan Larson felt like he was running out of time to capture this moment and his friends in a work of art.”


What unique elements are you bringing to this concert version of Rent that fans can look forward to?


“We have a chance to see everything from the perspective of a new cast, a new decade, a new performance space etc. Our vision all springs from those things that are unique to our Production. Other than of course the very special beginning documentary, the stage itself is a vibe of a small recording studio, like the place the original demos Jonathan Larson were recorded for. “


How do you think the themes of time travel and transformation in Back to the Future compare to the themes of love, loss, and survival in Rent


“Well it’s a bit of a stretch, as they are vastly different shows, but what they share in common is that it is easiest to understand people better by getting to know them, and getting to know their circumstance that has led them to their victories and hardships. Whether the hardships be bullying, time travel, racial discrimination, or specifically in RENT’s case disease, the hardships we attempt to overcome make us into the person we are.”


What message do you hope audiences take away from seeing you perform in both Back to the Future on Broadway and the concert version of Rent?


“Love baby! The power of love! The seasons of love! Goodbye Love! All of the love!”


While the run of Rent at Greasepaint is currently sold out, there is a wait list and a handful of additional seats will be available on July 2nd at 8am at greasepaint.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.