Monday, October 31, 2022

Talking to Amie Bjorklund about directing GREASE at Mesa Encore Theatre

Amie Bjorklund

by Gil Benbrook

California Native Amie Bjorklund has directed and acted at many theatres, including at theatres in California, New York, England and Arizona. Her local credits include directing at Mesa Encore Theatre, Flagstaff Shakespeare Festival, and Southwest Shakespeare Company and she's appeared in shows at the Phoenix Theatre Company, Flagstaff Shakespeare, The Bridge Initiative, Southwest Shakespeare, Nearly Naked, and Hale Centre Theatre. She also teaches acting at ASU and film studies at Chandler Gilbert College.

Bjorklund previously directed Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike at Mesa Encore Theatre and she's back to direct their production of Grease, which opens this Friday, November 4.

Bjorklund sat down during final rehearsals to answer some questions about the challenges of directing a big, beloved show like Grease, the importance for diversity in the cast, and how community theatres are important as a way for people to be challenged and grow.

What brought you back to MET?

"I loved working with MET when I directed Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike in 2019. The group of people who put the time in to support the show were welcoming and hardworking. After the pandemic I was eager to get back into live theater, no longer in front of a screen, and MET is one of the theaters working to make that return happen safely. I also am glad to work with a company who wants to make theater for the community which is reflective of where we are going and the people we entertain."


Why did you choose Grease?

"Well I didn't choose Grease. The season was already decided when I reached out to MET asking if they had a need for a director. Thankfully it fits into my calendar and my wheelhouse of experience. I'm glad MET decided to do it. It's an adventurous undertaking and not a small production. It's a challenge on many levels. I like the idea of a challenge. This script and the sheer size of the production offers me that. Thankfully Sarah Wiechman, my dear friend and choreographer, agreed to come on this adventure with me. Add to the mix Michael Snyder, our musical director, and I was confident we'd be successful.

Plus there's a lot of positive things to say about working with an energetic cast filled with young talent who are eager to be in front of an audience."

What does Grease say to you that other musicals don't?
      
"The biggest lesson Grease teaches us is that strong friendships usually means a good life. The friendships at Rydell High, and the world it inhabits, are very strong. They may be forged in proximity, as most high school friendships are, however they grow from that and become something real. These kids mock each other and give each other a hard time while still loving each other and looking out for each other. Even Rizzo and Sandy, with their different backgrounds and goals, protect each other at various times in the show. Grease shows us that life can be short or long and the people we choose to spend our time with is the best decision we can make."

For a show that premiered over 50 years ago, why do you think Grease is still such a popular show, and why do you think it still resonates today?

"I believe Grease is a popular show because the songs are so catchy. They get into your head and just will not leave. The dancing is fun to watch and be a part of. Audiences usually like watching shows which make them smile and this show, especially our production, will give them that. I believe the show resonates still because we like to think high school was this fun. We like to imagine we were part of these friendships and falling in love. It's nice to imagine. And it's an easy show to enjoy. It also resonates because ultimately it's about relationships, and everyone can relate to that. Those relationships are what keep us going and empower us to keep changing and growing."

What is something important to you about this production?
      
"The diversity of the cast is something I find incredibly important. The call for Grease went out across the valley and we had over 40 people audition. That's amazing and I was so excited to be able to use everyone who wanted to be a part of this. With every show I direct my goal is to create a full welcoming cast - gender, race, sexuality, everything. Everyone is welcome at the table as long as you come ready to work. The cast we have is diverse on so many levels and that diversity is allowed to shine with this script. For this show it doesn't matter what you look like or what your offstage life contains. It matters that you show up and you tell the story with all of us.
      
Everyone on that stage is important and it's important to me that the actors feel utilized. I have a strong musical theater background and firmly believe that the stronger the ensemble, the stronger the show. Sarah, our choreographer, has the same vision. We work with everyone in the cast to make sure we are all telling the same story, are in the same show, and have the same goals. I love that each of them would be able to tell you their character's backstory or objective at any point in the storyline."

What's next for you and MET?

"I hope there will be more directing opportunities for me at MET. I have watched the theater undergo a lot of changes in the past year and I can see them actively working to be a place where all theater creators can feel welcome and artistically challenged. I hope to be a part of that as we move into the next year and beyond."

What do you hope to see in the Valley Theater Community? How do you want to be a part of that?

"Our theater community is one which is constantly changing. I'd like to see those positive changes continue and have a community which evolves and grows. I'd love more money put into the theaters, especially those which are struggling. I'd love more time given from people in the community, if money can't be donated. I'd love more people to show up and support the arts, in any capacity they can. You'd be surprised how many theaters need help painting, organizing, cleaning, and administrative work. There is so much happening and the more people who can help, the better. It means a lot to our entire community when we have an active theater life. I want to be a part of this active life for as long as possible. Currently that's as an actress and a director. In the future it might look like being the Artistic Director or Board President. I don't foresee myself ever being stagnant in the Valley theater scene."
               
How does MET fit into the Valley Theater Community and what might the future hold for MET?

"MET is vital to the Valley Theater Community. As a Community theater we offer opportunities other theaters might not offer. I have done years and years of community theater, each production teaching me a new skill I took with me to other jobs. Community theater should be the place where we learn and we teach. It's the place where we can try new things and develop skill sets we can use in life. It's where we can challenge ourselves because it's a safe place to try. Ever wanted to try your hand at running a sound board for a musical? Or designing costumes? Or playing the villain? Or running the fly rail? Community theater is the place to take those risks and find out what happens. Possibly find a new passion you didn't even know you loved. As long as MET continues developing talent and keeping their doors open to anyone who wants to work hard and try, I believe there are at least another 100 years available to them."

What do you hope audiences take away from seeing a performance of Grease at Mesa Encore Theatre?

"As cheesy as it sounds, I want our audiences to walk away with a smile. I want everyone to walk out of the theater feeling a bit lighter than before, a bit happier. I believe theater is vital to this world and can be a powerful voice for change and social advancement. It is also meant to be a haven from the world, a place we can go and just enjoy being happy. Grease can be that place. It is a happy piece of theater with catchy songs and wonderful dance numbers. I want people to be proud of what they just saw and know they supported a great team of artists who work hard to entertain them."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.