Monday, October 31, 2022

Former ASU quarterback, Gus Farwell, stars in new musical performance at ASU Gammage, “Gridiron to ASU Gammage” on November 4



By Emily Mai
ASU Gammage

When Gus Farwell was a theater major at ASU as well as the quarterback for Arizona State’s famous Rose Bowl team, he had a dream to one day perform on stage at ASU Gammage. Now, 26 years later, that dream is coming true.

“At some point, I remember sneaking into ASU Gammage, standing on the stage only lit by a ghost light and looking up at the empty seats thinking, ‘Well, one day I'm going to sing here and I’m going to perform onstage in front of so many people.’” said Farwell, who is debuting his new performance show, “Gridiron to ASU Gammage”.

“Gridiron to ASU Gammage” is a musical performance that celebrates Sun Devil spirit and finally being together again. Farwell will perform songs from a wide discography including music from popular pop artists, Broadway musicals and classic opera. It will also include collaboration with the ASU Symphony Orchestra, Gospel Choir, Sun Devil Marching Band as well as faculty performers. The event also has a pre-show tailgate with food, games and fun activities. "Gridiron to ASU Gammage" premieres Friday, Nov. 4, at ASU Gammage. Tickets are on free but registration is required at asugammage.com/gridirontogammage.

“It's not really about me, it’s a celebration of all things ASU. I just want to give everybody a night to come out and enjoy themselves, enjoy the university and just really feel some Sun Devil pride. This whole idea was born through a lockdown and the pandemic, so this is a chance for us to all get together to feel that energy and really just celebrate life again and being there for one another,” Farwell said.
Farwell has always had a passion for performing. His love for theater started young and followed him through high school and college, at the same time his love and involvement in playing football remained too. Farwell balanced going to theater rehearsals with football practices for a long time but was determined to see both loves of his through to the end even though doing both put a serious strain on his time, energy and relationships.

“I felt when I was at ASU that I loved going back and forth between the two worlds. I think people think they see doing the two as opposite ends of the spectrum, but I don’t necessarily see it that way. I actually think performing onstage and music have so much in common with football. I see both as types of performances and no matter what you have to work hard for long periods of time to be any good,” said Farwell.

During this same period of time, Farwell discovered his love for opera music. During a high school party, he accidentally came upon a CD of Luciano Pavarotti’s Greatest Hits and with no background in singing opera music, he was hooked. This would eventually lead him to become the iconic voice of the “Go Devils Go!” that’s played at the beginning of every Sun Devil football game.

“I truly just fell in love with the melodies and the music. I asked to borrow the CD and I just drove around through the rest of my senior year of high school and throughout all my time at ASU just singing along even though I didn’t really know the words, composers or even what was going on in the story,” Farwell said.

Farwell performed opera singing for the first time publicly during a talent show at Universal Studios the week before the 1996 Rose Bowl game. His performance was televised and in front of a panel of celebrity judges and teams from Arizona State and Ohio State.

“I think they thought that I was just joking at first and then they all realized as I kept going that I was serious. It was at this point that they all went dead silent and got a standing ovation at the end. But that was really my first time and I just didn't really know what to do with it afterward,” Farwell said.
Farwell’s opera journey took him across Europe but has not always been a smooth one. Between academic burnout, personal tragedy, rejection and a global pandemic Farwell was all but ready to stop pursuing music entirely. That all changed when one video of him singing on his balcony in Spain went viral online.

During the lockdown in Spain, every night people would go out onto their balconies and applaud the frontline workers and medical professionals. It was shortly after the applause ended one night that Farwell decided in the spur of the moment to sing a couple of notes before returning inside. Encouraged by his wife and two daughters, this became a regular event. One that would carry on for 65 days in a row.

He became a source of joy and entertainment for the people in Spain and across the globe. The pressure was on him every night to provide that experience for everyone at a time when people had so little to look forward to. Soon he was receiving letters and messages from people around the world thanking him for what he was doing and encouraging him to keep doing it.

“Anytime I felt unsure if I wanted to go out there again, I always told myself, ‘You get to do this.’ Then I’d go out there and that interaction with the audience would completely lift me up,” Farwell said.
It was through this new fame and stardom that Farwell would find his way back at ASU. The creation of this show started from a conversation Farwell had with ASU Gammage Executive Director Colleen Jennings-Roggensack. In an interview during the pandemic, Farwell mentioned that it has always been his dream to one day perform at ASU Gammage to which she told him that she’d be more than happy to make his dream come true.

“I wasn’t completely sure that she really meant it, you know?  Now knowing Colleen better, I know that she doesn’t say something unless she really means it and there are so many people behind the scenes supporting us that have helped make all of this possible, and I couldn't have done any of this without them," Farwell said.
 

1 comment:

  1. The most wonderful evening last night! we did not want it to end…Thanku Gus and ASU! We are forever grateful….

    ReplyDelete

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.