Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Talking to mother and son Stephanie Likes and Casey Likes about playing a mother and son in NEXT TO NORMAL at Scottsdale Community Players

Stephanie Likes and Casey Likes
photo by Laura Durant

by Gil Benbrook

Stephanie Likes and her son Casey first appeared on stage together when they played Mrs. Cratchit and Tiny Tim in A Christmas Carol at Actor's Theatre from 2005-2010, beginning when Casey was just three years old.  They are back together again playing mother and son Diana and Gabe in the Pulizer and Tony winning musical Next to Normal, which Scottsdale Community Players presents with performances from January 15-January 23 

Stephanie appeared as Eponine and Cosette in the Broadway production and National Tour of Les Miserables, and also appeared in dozens of shows in Phoenix, and is currently the theatre
teacher/director at Chandler High School's award winning theatre program.  Casey was a 2019 finalist for the "Jimmy" Awards (The High School Musical Theatre Awards), and in addition to appearing in numerous shows in town, scored the male lead in the pre-Broadway production of Almost Famous The Musical in California, which is currently being workshopped for a Broadway run.  He will also be seen as Gene Simmons in the upcoming film Spinning Gold, and in the leading role of the movie Dark Harvest. 

In a break between rehearsals for the show, Stephanie and Casey sat down to answer some questions about this award winning musical and what it's like playing mother and son in the show.

Next to Normal is a Pulitzer Prize and Tony winning musical, but for someone who's never seen this show, or heard of it, what would you tell them it's about?

Stephanie: "I would say that the show is about a family who, like so many families, is dealing with a family member who suffers with mental illness triggered by tremendous loss and how this affects the whole family. The story is told in such a beautiful way due to Tom Kitt's tremendous score."

Casey: "I think the show is a really deep and emotional dive into what mental illness is and all of the people who are affected by it, told through the story of one specific family, a couple of doctors, and a boyfriend." 

Stephanie Likes and Casey Likes (center)
in A Christmas Carol - Actor's Theatre
How did the chance to appear in this show together come to be?

Stephanie: "Casey and I have talked for many years about wanting to do this show together once he was the right age since it is centered around a mother-son relationship. After speaking to Maureen about it she found a way to make it happen with Scottsdale Community Players."

Casey: "To piggyback on that, Maureen Dias Watson, creative director of SCP and Greasepaint, and I have always been talking about new opportunities and new ways we can use the Stagebrush Theater space. She’s a very generous theatre maker as she has offered the space to me and other young creatives several times over the years to make art we were excited about, but my thing was always making sure it felt right. My last show at that theater, and in Arizona as a whole, was almost three years ago in Newsies. And that felt like a good end of that chapter to me for at least the next few years. But the first show I did ever was with my mom, and we have been talking about performing together again for years, specifically in this show; a show that Tom Kitt, composer of the musical Next to Normal and Almost Famous, has encouraged me to do. So one day we met with Maureen for dinner, and we said 'What if we did this?' and I felt like she was going to blast off into space from excitement. It all just felt right."

Casey Likes in Almost Famous the Musical at the Old Globe Theatre
photo by Neal Preston

What can you tell us about the character you play?

Stephanie: "I play Diana who is a wife, mother, and has been diagnosed with multiple mental illnesses including bipolar disorder and depression."

Casey: "I play Gabe, the golden child of Dan and Diana, and a playful sibling to Natalie. That’s about it. That’s pretty much all I can say so just come see the show."

Why did you want to play this part?

Stephanie: "The first thing that drew me to this show is the music and then the story. It's such a compelling story that everyone can relate to on some level. Life isn't easy, and most of us walk around trying to hide our baggage and challenges. This musical allows people the opportunity to speak about those challenges and bring awareness to the things so many people deal with every day."

Casey: "If you ask any actor what they look for in a great role, they will answer with qualities that are all present in every single role in Next to Normal. We all get to explore some really complex and interpretive characters and get to play every emotional beat known to man."

This show focuses on the impact that mental illness and grief has on a family. What type of research did you do in order to relate to the material in the show?

Stephanie: "I have already been a wife and mom, so those two aspects I have lived. I have also dealt with my own mental challenges, and have known people close to me who have, as well. In addition, I have been watching documentaries and reading about the different types of mental illnesses Diana specifically is living with. My research has shown me not only how these illnesses affect the person who has them, but also how they affect their loved ones."

Casey: "Learning things about mental health is not very hard to do when you’re a theater kid in the 21st century. Long story short, I’ve lived with it, I’ve met it, I’ve dated it, I’ve been and am friends with it, and it’s a very topical and important story to me and I’m very glad we get to tell it."

Stephine Likes as Cosette, with Rich Affannato, in Les Misérables

I have to imagine that being an actual mother and son and playing those roles in this show has made it completely natural to ensure that relationship is depicted realistically, but is there anything you've encountered that has been difficult in portraying this familial relationship on stage?

Stephanie: "I can't fully answer this question without giving too much away, but I will say this: the reality of their relationship is difficult in and of itself. You'll have to see the show to understand my answer, I guess."

Casey: "This specific show aside, my mother and I are used to working with each other, considering my first professional theater job was at three with her playing my mother. She was also my high school theater teacher, and obviously we’ve also lived together…So, I get her and she gets me. But everyone says to not mix family with work. Especially when the work you do is very emotionally vulnerable. So it presents the challenges you would expect of course, but we’ve never known any different. It’s what we have always done together. It’s a complicated and odd dynamic like any family would be, but it’s so worth it because we get the chance to present something real. That’s a real mother and son, telling a story about a mother and son. When does that happen? And she’s really freakin talented. So of course at times the whole thing can be difficult, but what it really is, is a privilege."

What things have you learned in the rehearsal process that have changed the way you view your character?

Stephanie: "When we first started the process I had such empathy for my character as an outsider looking in. However, as I begin to walk in her shoes I've realized how much I can relate to the daily struggles of just being in survival mode to keep 'the plates all spinning' and appear to be OK even when you're not. I also wonder a lot about what Diana is doing when the audience doesn't see her."

Casey: "I really enjoy other peoples thoughts on material and more specifically, my role. Not just in Next to Normal but in general in acting. The director could have one idea, the writer could have another idea, the previous actors who played the role could have another, and I could have another idea. But after talking with each of those people, you're able to assemble something new, and create, and that’s what’s really exciting. I really needed to talk to people about this one because sometimes, nay, all the time, you gotta admit you’re not the smartest in the room, and after lots of discussions I think we’ve come up with something I’m excited about. I love Gabe."



What's your favorite moment in the show?

Stephanie: "My favorite moment is the one song in the show that Casey and I are on stage together - no one else. It's a very moving scene."

Casey: "I have a few but I don’t want to spoil them all. The one my mom mentioned is powerful, and A song called 'I Am the One' is one of my favorites. I get to sing a really incredible song into and with the faces of my Mom and Caleb Reese who plays my dad who, fun fact, in real life held me when I was just a baby."

What do you hope audiences will take away from seeing this production?

Stephanie: "I hope it helps to continue the discussion about mental illness and that it helps destigmatize the label of a mental illness diagnosis."

Casey: "For one I hope people are reminded of the power of theater after this pandemic, and I also hope (know) they will remember the music, and the hundreds of different strong and powerful messages the show presents. And I know it's cliche, but empathy."

Why should people go and see Next to Normal at Scottsdale Community Players in January?

Stephanie: "The cast, the music, the direction are all superb! Some of the best AZ theatre has to offer has contributed to this production and is on stage. If you are a theatre-goer you will not want to miss this one!"

Casey: "The show itself is one of the best I’ve ever done. The writing and music is unlike anything you’ve seen before. And the production itself is just purely so beautiful, and I’m really thankful to be a small part of it. The cast is one of the best I’ve seen and worked with, the direction is gorgeous, we got a full band with strings, like we really went for it with this one and it’s all so worth it. I can personally
promise you that seeing it…is worth it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.