Thursday, January 13, 2022

A Q/A with Tony Nominee and Broadway Star EVA NOBLEZADA, appearing with Seth Rudetsky at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts on January 21st


by Gil Benbrook

In 2013, when Eva Noblezada was just a high school student in Charlotte, NC, she participated in the The High School Musical Theatre Awards (The "Jimmy" Awards) in New York City where she was discovered by famous casting director Tara Rubin. That discovery led to her being cast as the lead role of Kim in producer Cameron Mackintosh and director Laurence Connor's London revival of Miss Saigon. A role that earned her the WhatsOnStage award for Best Actress in a Musical. 

Noblezada would go on to perform in the Broadway revival of the musical, earning a 2017 Tony nomination for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical and winning the Theatre World Award for Outstanding Broadway or Off-Broadway Debut Performance. It was her Broadway debut and she was just 21.

She also created the role of Eurydice in the Tony winning Best Musical Hadestown on Broadway and at the National Theatre in London, a role that also earned her a Tony nomination for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical and which she is currently performing on Broadway. She also played Eponine in the West End revival of the Les Misérables and appeared in the indepent film Yellow Rose.

Noblezada comes to Scottsdale on Friday, January 21st for a concert with Sirius XM "On Broadway" host Seth Rudetsky where she'll perform songs from shows she loves and, between songs, sit down in informal interview segments to answer questions from Rudetsky about her past and the musical roles she's performed.

But before she comes to town, and in between performances of Hadestown on Broadway, I asked Noblezada to sit down to answer some questions of my own.

Before we talk about your Broadway roles or your upcoming concert at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts, let's go back to your high school days. What was your theatre experience like growing up in Charlotte, NC? And what was the most important thing that you learned while there?

Noblezada: "Theatre in Charlotte was special because of the school that I went to. Northwest School of the Arts did everything in its power to encourage students to stretch into their best artistic selves. While attending that school I also learned something that to me, has remained invaluable. I learned that no amount of training or classes or lessons could get me to where I wanted to be! If I didn’t take care of Eva, I was never going to become the actor, the performer I needed to be. If I treated Eva like she was never going to succeed, then I wasn’t able to approach a job, or a role with everything I had learned. And more importantly with space to learn and listen more." 

That sounds like a really great lesson. While in Charlotte, you were selected to participate in the National High School Musical Theatre Awards (The Jimmys) - what was that experience like?

"It was incredible!! What an amazing thing to make your Broadway Stage Debut with a bunch of other young people who are just as passionate about theatre as you! And to work with Broadway legends and professionals. Such an incredible experience! "

It was during that time that you were "discovered" by NY Casting agents and landed the role of Kim in the West End revival of Miss Saigon. Can you tell us what that audition process was like for that production and what it felt like when you were told you got the part?

"Yes! So after the Jimmy’s, Tara Rubin approached me and asked if I had auditioned for Miss Saigon. Crazily enough, Tara is long time friends with my Theater teacher at NWSA. So they were able to connect and Tara set me up with an audition. I had two auditions in NYC and one workshop, where Lawrence and I had time to really talk about the scenes we’d be doing in front of the people who were going to cast me. My second audition was on the Majestic Theatre stage. I sang "Sun and Moon." And then the team had me sit in the stalls and asked me if I wanted to move to London. It was surreal. It didn’t truly hit me until I was in London, haha."  

Eva Noblezada with Alistair Brammer in the London revival of Miss Saigon
photo by Luke MacGregor 

Since landing that role, you've formed a bond with Lea Salonga, who played Kim in the original London and Broadway productions of the show. In fact, the last time Salonga was in town, also at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts, she spoke about how wonderful she thought you were in the role. What was the most important piece of advice that she gave you?

"I love Lea! She is a true legend. On stage and off. The most important piece of advice she gave me wasn’t in a sentence, but more how she is and how she advises young people to live their lives in the performing world. To know that it is a roller coaster. But so is life. I love how she’s a boss…who uses her experiences and accomplishments as something to decorate her life, not her ego. "

Did you have any fear in playing a role that has been so closely associated with Salonga?

"Why? We’re two different actors, haha. If anyone expects anyone to be just like someone else? That’s a disappointing way to perceive humankind. Especially when it comes to an acting performance. "

After Miss Saigon, you went on to appear in Hadestown in London and on Broadway, a role that you also received a Tony nomination for. What was it like going from re-creating a role from a classic musical to now creating a role in a brand new show?

"I would say there was equal responsibility and equal pressure. But a lot more creative license with a new show. There’s a lot more ‘white space to color’ if that makes sense with a role that hasn’t been settled yet. I really enjoyed and was challenged by the Hadestown process. It’s an even bigger joy to be able to play Eurydice every night. "

Eva Noblezada with the Broadway cast of Hadestown
photo by Matthew Murphy

You are only 25 years old but you've already appeared in two hit Broadway productions, made your film debut with Lea Salonga in Yellow Rose and won a Grammy for the Hadestown cast recording. Are there any dream roles in classic musicals you’re hoping to play one day? 

"I wish I had more dream roles. It seems to really satisfy people, haha. But I don’t. My only dream right now as a 25 year old is to be able to live my life the way I want to. Have the freedom to write music, create what I want when I want. I am so grateful for having had long term contracts in musicals. I’m just a little anxious to know what it’s like away from eight shows a week! I have dreams of my own to make and do things that I couldn’t with this schedule. So just being as grateful as I can with the incredible job that I have now. "

What can audiences in Scottsdale look forward to hearing you sing in your concert here? Any songs that you make sure to always include in your concerts, or any new ones you’ve just discovered that have quickly become a favorite? 

"I normally don’t sing a lot of musical theatre in my own personal shows, BUT this one is absolutely packed with musical theatre songs. In fact I think there’s only one or two pop songs, which is really crazy and fun for me! I love to sing Amy Winehouse in my concerts. She’s one of my favorite artists so I always love giving ode to those that inspired me."

What do you hope Scottsdale audiences take away from your concert on January 21st?

Nothing! Just a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.