Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Talking to Jazmin Moehring who plays the Narrator in JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT at Arizona Broadway Theatre

Jazmin Moehring (center) and the cast of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat 
at Arizona Broadway Theatre
photo courtesy Arizona Broadway Theatre

by Gil Benbrook

For the second part of our series of interviews with the two leads of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at Arizona Broadway Theatre, we present our exclusive conversation with Jazmin Moehring, who plays the role of the Narrator in this production.

Moehring is no stranger to Arizona Broadway Theatre, having appeared in productions there of The SpongeBob Musical, Little Shop of Horrors and Urinetown, as well as in other shows across the Valley, including Dreamgirls and The Color Purple at The Phoenix Theatre Company.

She's also a recent graduate of ASU, where she played the Witch in their spring production of Into The Woods.

During a break between performances, Moehring sat down to answer some questions about this show, her character, and how she managed to juggle appearing in shows and going to ASU.

Jazmin Moehring 

For someone who has never heard of this show, what would you tell them it’s about?

Moehring: "I would describe the show Joseph as a parable about patience and resilience. Nobody believed in Joseph, he was made fun of, disregarded and betrayed, yet he rose to the top and still forgave those who wronged him. Your time will come to shine, and when it does, repay that opportunity with kindness. "


Have you ever been in a production of Joseph before and if you have what part did you play and what was the experience like?  If you haven’t, how familiar with the show were you?

"I have never been in a production of Joseph before and was not very familiar at all. I had only heard the iconic song “Close Every Door” which our Joseph (Andrew) sings beautifully. But once I was offered the narrator I made sure to become very familiar with it very fast, considering the beast of a show it is. "

You’ve been in several shows at ABT. What is it about ABT that you enjoy that keeps bringing you back?

"It’s funny because I ask myself the opposite - what is it about me that ABT keeps bringing me back! 
I am lucky enough to keep being asked to return and being trusted with these amazing roles and opportunities. I feel very grateful to be believed in and supported by the ABT family and I hope that never changes. "

Jazmin Moehring and the cast of The SpongeBob Musical
Arizona Broadway Theatre
Photo by Timeless Present Photos



Tell us about your favorite scene or musical number in the production and why it's special to you.

"I think anytime I interact with the children’s choir on or off stage is most important to me. It’s a reminder of why I pursued performing in the first place- to make people feel valued, seen, inspired, or changed, especially those young minds. It’s almost a way to heal my inner child as well, I don’t take my time with them for granted. "

How long did it take you to remember all of the lyrics that list out the colors in Joseph’s dream coat, and do you know how many colors there are in that song (and in his coat)?

"I do not know how many colors are in the song but I suppose sometime I should count! As for memorization, it took a lot of repetition: listening to the song and writing them down over and over. "

The Narrator plays a pivotal role in guiding the audience through the story. How do you approach the responsibility of being the storyteller in Joseph?

"When approaching the narrator, Ken and I both felt like we didn’t want her to be boring. There is always the opportunity to read from a book in the corner of the stage, but I thought that would be anticlimactic for both me and the audience. I wanted my narrator to have opinions, to empathize, to be involved, to be silly and sneaky but also not take things too seriously because she of course knows how the story ends (and why she chose to tell it). Adding to that her ability to summon these characters and set pieces, there’s a magic to her. I took inspiration from Robin Williams as the genie, mixed with myself just having fun telling a good story. Having the kids on stage also elevates the storytelling because we never talk to kids emotionless or monotone - our pitch goes higher, we make funny faces, we exaggerate etc., it’s a blast. "

Jazmin Moehring in Into the Woods
ASU Music Theatre and Opera
photo by Reg Madison

You graduated from ASU a few months ago. While going to school you were also in numerous shows in town, including several at ABT. What did you do to effectively manage being in numerous performances a week while also attending classes?

"I love a challenge. I have convinced myself that there’s nothing I can’t do, if I try hard enough (which may or may not hold merit). With that being said, performing, attending classes and graduating a year early wasn’t necessarily easy, and I thank a lot of my professors for being so accessible and supportive. What helped me the most is that I’m a big list maker and multi-tasker. I’d have a list of goals or to-dos for the month, for the week, or for the day. It kept me organized and focused. I was very selective about what deserved my time, and didn’t make myself feel guilty for prioritizing certain things over others. Also, lean on those around you, a good support system will get you through anything. "

Joseph is a very fun show, but also has some lessons within the story. What do you think is the most important message of the show?

"The message from Joseph that resonates the most with me is that being different is a gift. It can feel isolating at times and some people might criticize you for it, but your individuality is your strength. There’s a Bette Midler quote hung up in my room that reads “Cherish forever what makes you unique, ‘cuz you’re really a yawn if it goes.”"

Joseph is a timeless story with universal themes of family, forgiveness, and self-discovery. How do you think it resonates with modern audiences?

"I think the brilliance behind the construction of Joseph is that it’s never the same. The story may stay the same, the lyrics of course, but the costumes, the backstory, the bits, the focus, the setting, etc. can be different production to production. I think this makes it really easy to adjust to an ever-changing audience. We’ll have to thank Andrew Lloyd Webber for that. "

What do you hope audience members will take away from seeing Joseph at ABT?

"I think with this version of Joseph, especially with Ken’s brilliant concept and execution, there are so many opportunities to take away something more than cool effects and pretty lights (though that’s also fun). Because of this, I hope people take away exactly what they need from it, whether it be: a reminder to be kind, an assurance of divine timing, a love for live theatre, a nudge to call a loved one, an encouragement to stand out, or even just a good laugh. "

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.