Friday, October 13, 2023

Talking to Andrew Ruggieri who plays Joseph in JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT at Arizona Broadway Theatre

Andrew Natale Ruggieri
photo courtesy Arizona Broadway Theatre

by Gil Benbrook

The beloved musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is on stage at Arizona Broadway Theatre through November 4 and we had the chance to ask Andrew Natale Ruggieri, who plays the title role, some questions about the show, his experiences at ABT, and why the part of Joseph and this musical still resonates today.

For someone who has never heard of this show, what would you tell them it’s about?

Ruggieri - "Joseph is a story about a family where Joseph is the favorite son which causes jealousy amongst his 11 brothers. Joseph’s father gives him a colorful coat as a symbol of him being the favorite son. The brothers plot to kill Joseph but end up selling him to an Egyptian millionaire. Joseph interprets dreams but you’ll have to come see the show unfolds. "

Have you ever been in a production of Joseph before and if you have what part did you play and what was the experience like?  If you haven’t, how familiar with the show were you?

"I have never been in a production of Joseph and I was not very familiar with the musical before taking on the role. "

You’ve been in several shows at ABT. What is it about ABT that you enjoy that keeps bringing you back?

"I love ABT! To me, this theatre is family. Every time I get an offer to be apart of a show at ABT it feels like I’m coming home. The audiences are so welcoming and the staff and crew are lovely to work with. The camaraderie is superior among the actors at ABT. Honestly I can’t say enough about this theatre. It truly is the best! "

Tell us about your favorite scene or musical number in the production and why it's special to you.

"I really love 'Close Every Door'. I didn’t know much about the show before taking the role, but a friend had told me to listen to this song, and it was honestly the reason I took the role. In the musical, Joseph is accused of a crime he didn’t commit and locked away in prison. The words are very deep and dark and actually were shocking and uncomfortable for me, which drew me more to this role. I wanted to dive in and find how I could relate to Joseph. I am not like Joseph and he was hard to find. However, for a lot of the rehearsal process I felt like I could not find the character and I was lost. One night while doing this scene I got so upset with myself that I slammed my hands on the ground during the song. I realized that in that moment I had found him. I then realized Joseph’s frustration and was able to find what I had been missing. It has since become one of my favorite moments in the show. "

How long did it take you to remember all of the lyrics that list out the colors in Joseph’s dream coat, and do you know how many colors there are in that song (and in his coat)? 

"Honestly I thought I was never going to get the colors but I actually think it only took a week. There are 29 colors in the song and I probably will never forget them now. "

Joseph undergoes significant character development throughout the show. Can you describe the journey your character goes through and how you convey these changes to the audience?

"Joseph goes through many different things in this 80 minute show. He starts the show very hopeful and full of life, and then as the show progresses is sold, abused and imprisoned. While imprisoned he becomes the Pharaoh’s favored one, and by the end of the show finds forgiveness for his brothers. Joseph’s journey is a difficult one to convey especially since the show is completely sung through.  However, I try to convey his lightheartedness, his frustration, his hopefulness and the ultimate forgiveness he has at the end of the show. "

Andrew Ruggieri and Rebecca Shulla in An American in Paris at Arizona Broadway Theatre
Photo by Scott Samplin

You’ve played a wide range of roles in your career – including two major leading roles at ABT: Jerry in An American in Paris and Sam in Ghost. Like Jerry and Sam, Joseph is a character known for his optimism and resilience. How do you approach portraying these qualities on stage?

"I can relate to the optimism and resilience that all three of these characters encompass. In my own life I always try to be optimistic, dedicated and determined to always do my best. All three of these roles are special to me for different reasons and in different ways, and I’m so thankful to have gotten to play them on the ABT stage. "

Joseph is a very fun show, but also has some lessons within the story. What do you think is the most important message of the show?

"I think forgiveness is the biggest lesson in this show. I feel like this can really resonate to a lot of people. Forgiveness can be difficult sometimes, but I am a person who believes that everyone deserves a second chance.  I always try to see the good in everyone and I think this is the same message that is given at the end of the show. "

Joseph is a timeless story with universal themes of family, forgiveness, and self-discovery. How do you think it resonates with modern audiences?

"I think that modern audiences can relate to the same message of families having difficulties yet finding forgiveness in their hearts for one another. "

What do you hope audience members will take away from seeing Joseph at ABT?

"I would love the audience to leave with joy and hope that even in difficult times there is light at the end of the rainbow. "


No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.