Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Talking to "Fearless" Broadway star Mandy Gonzalez about HAMILTON, IN THE HEIGHTS, and her upcoming concert with Javier Muñoz, "Hitting New Heights," at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts

Mandy Gonzalez

by Gil Benbrook

Mandy Gonzalez has appeared in lead roles in some of the biggest Broadway musicals of the last decade, including Wicked, In the Heights, and Hamilton, where she currently stars in that Pulitzer Prize and Tony winning smash show as Angelica Schuyler.

She made her Broadway leading lady debut twenty years ago in the campy flop musical Dance of the Vampires, co-starring with Tony winner Michael Crawford, before her breakout role as Nina Rosario in the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical In The Heights which netted her a Drama Desk Award. Gonzalez has also appeared in films and TV shows and is also a writer of the young adult novel series, "Fearless."

Gonzalez and Javier Muñoz, who co-starred with Gonzalez in In the Heights and who was the original alternate Alexander Hamilton in Hamilton, will appear together in a concert entitled "Hitting New Heights" at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts on Saturday, September 24th.

Gonzalez sat down to answer some questions about her Broadway career and the roles she's played, as well as how her 2019 breast cancer diagnosis made her realize she wanted to use that experience to raise awareness so that no one feels isolated who is in a similar situation, and how her involvement with Hamilton set her on a quest for positive change, which resulted in the social media movement for inclusiveness and positivity, #FearlessSquad.  

Mandy Gonzalez and Michael Crawford
in Dance of the Vampires
Photo by Paul Kolnik
While Broadway audiences mainly know you from your starring roles in Hamilton, In the Heights and Wicked, I want to start off by going back almost exactly 20 years ago. Your first lead role on Broadway was in the Fall of 2002 as Sarah in Dance of the Vampires. What was it like when you found out you'd be starring opposite the legendary Michael Crawford in that production?

Mandy Gonzalez: "It was my Original Broadway show debut!  Michael asked them to write 'introducing Mandy Gonzalez' on the poster. When I got the call that I got the job I was beyond excited!  I knew Michael’s work from Phantom and Hello Dolly was one of my favorite movies. He was so kind at my audition and was a thrill to sing with!"
 
I saw Dance of the Vampires and while it was a campy, comical show I also thought it was a lot of fun and a big and bold Broadway show. You also delivered some powerhouse vocals in it. But, it closed shortly after opening. Why do you think it didn't run longer and what did you take away from that experience?

"Oh my goodness!  I can’t believe you saw it!! Thank you for your kind words. You know, having worked in the business for more than 20 years, I’ve learned that some shows make it, and some don’t.  There’s no rhyme or reason, but the work remains the same.  No matter how the show is doing at the box office, you still give 110%!"
 
Also on Broadway, you took over as Amneris in Aida, co-starred in the short lived musical Lennon, and also played Elphaba in Wicked. What are some of your memories of those Broadway appearances? 

"It was wonderful to play all of those characters.  The thing I take away the most is the music and the incredible company I worked with.  That’s the thing about working in theater.  Seeing someone from one of these shows while walking down 8th Ave, 20 years can go by, it’s like no time has passed."
 
Mandy Gonzalez in In the Heights

While you received an Obie Award for your Off Broadway performance in Eli's Comin' and a Broadway.com award for your portrayal of Elphaba, it was your performance as Nina Rosario in the original Off Broadway, and then Broadway, cast of In the Heights that cemented you as a modern leading lady of the musical theatre. How did you first become involved with In the Heights, and did you even know who the then virtually unknown Lin-Manuel Miranda was at that time?
 
"I was performing in Lennon on Broadway when I got a call that there was going to be a reading of a new musical. I was told it was written by a Latino and they wanted an all Latin cast, and would I be interested in meeting with the creative team at the Drama Bookshop.  I knew where the Drama Bookshop was, every actor does, and the project sounded intriguing, so I said yes. When I walked in, I was introduced to Lin-Manuel Miranda, Thomas Kail, Bill Sherman, and Alex Lacamoire.  I sang for them, and the rest is history."

Nina is such a strong young woman, but also one with realistic flaws. How did the character change in the development of that show and how much of you do you see in Nina? 

"When I did that first reading Nina was more of a supporting role.  She had a brother, Lincoln (played by Wilson Cruz at that reading) who was a songwriter and we were getting into the family dynamic. As things progressed Nina’s voice started to come through and it was an honor to portray her.  To this day, one of the things I love, when I go to the stage door is others stories and how they can relate to Nina.  They tell me they are the first in their family to go to college and that listening to Breathe really helped them get  through."

Mandy Gonzalez (center) with Lexi Lawson (left) and Jasmine Cephas Jones
in Hamilton
photo by Joan Marcus

You've been appearing as Angelica Schuyler in Hamilton on Broadway for several years now. What was the experience like joining that company of that groundbreaking show and what is your favorite moment in the show?

"I think my favorite moment is 'Schuyler Sisters.' The stage is filled with excitement and getting to be on stage with the company in that feeling is quite thrilling."  

Toward the end of 2019, you were diagnosed with breast cancer, I know that you turned that experience into something powerful and impactful by launching the "Broadway’s Best for Breast Cancer" discussion series in the summer of 2020. How are you doing now and how has that experience changed you?

"I think anyone touched by cancer can honestly say that there was life before cancer, and then life after.  I am grateful for the after.  I knew I wanted to use my voice to create awareness, so that no one feels alone in their experience.  My work continues by being a board member at BCRF and 5under40.  Going through treatment during the height of the pandemic was truly isolating, but it was the people that reached to me, with their wisdom and hope that helped get me through."


You are also the author of the "Fearless" series of Young Adult books, and your solo cd is also called "Fearless."  How did the idea to write the book series come about, and what can you tell us about #FearlessSquad?

"In 2017, while starting in Hamilton, a lot  of young people reached out to me on social media, writing about not having a place to belong and feeling alone.

I decided to use my platform to create #fearlesssquad, a place of inclusion and connection. I had no idea it would connect with so many people around the world but I’m glad it did.  My hope is that people take #fearlesssquad with them to build stronger communities.

Growing up, one of my favorite places to go was the library.  It was a place to dream.  I have loved creating books for young people, so that they can see themselves in the theater.  To learn about all the secrets I love about broadway while been taken on an adventure.

My first book of the Fearless series follows Monica Garcia.  A talented 12 year old from Northern California.  She loves to sing and she dreams of a life on broadway.  When a casting director watches her self tape audition for a new broadway show.  Along with her Abuelita, they travel to NYC to start her broadway adventure.  Along the way she meets her squad, they discover a ghost in the theater, and end up having to save the show.  Because, as always, the show must go on!!"
 
COVID and the shuttering of Broadway and live theatre productions around the world in March 2020 clearly impacted everyone who is a performer. What was that experience like for you, especially since it was shortly after your breast cancer diagnosis, and besides your book series launching and the "Broadway’s Best for Breast Cancer" discussion series, what else did you do to occupy your time when you weren't able to perform? Did you learn any new hobbies or take on any new occupations to pass the time?

"The shutdown was incredibly hard for all of us. We had to pivot and figure out other ways to make a living. Luckily the tv/film industry was back up and running first, so I was able to start working. I was cast as Silvia Mora in Only Murders in the Building.

Other than that, I was doing concerts from home and getting to spend so much time with my beautiful family."
Mandy Gonzalez and Javier Muñoz
You've appeared at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts in the past with other well-known Broadway performers, Adam Pascal, Robin de Jesus, and Marcus Paul James, and you're coming back next week with Javier Muñoz, who also appeared in In the Heights and Hamilton. What can Scottsdale audiences look forward to at this concert?

"Javier and I have shared the stage together in In The Heights and Hamilton.  He really is one of my favorite performers and dearest friends. Before the pandemic hit, we had put this show together, so we have been eagerly awaiting to get back to it!

Songs from Hamilton, In The Heights, Wicked, etc and stories  will fill the Scottsdale Center!  Our band, led by the incomparable Jame Sampliner, will make you want to get up and dance!

Can’t wait to see you there!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.