Thursday, April 30, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: Trisha Ditsworth

Trisha Ditsworth 
photo by Reg Madison Photography
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of interviews with individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community continues today with a conversation with Trisha Ditsworth, who has appeared in dozens of shows in town, including playing leads and supporting roles in many musicals at The Phoenix Theatre Company and Arizona Broadway Theatre. Ditsworth also just made her professional directorial debut directing Nice Work if You Can Get It at Ariona Regional Theatre.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started? 

Ditsworth - "Yes, my husband (Matravius Avent) and I were in rehearsals for Something Rotten at The Phoenix Theatre Company. We will be back with the show at some point!"

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation? 

"Oh my goodness, what a difficult question. It has been incredibly challenging on so many levels. I have to remind myself to be grateful for what we do have, and not worry things I cannot control."

How has your daily routine changed? 

"Lately we have been waking up really early to work on a mural in our backyard. I love having extra time to paint, but I miss my friends and family so much. I miss being on stage, telling a story. I really miss my Something Rotten cast, they are AMAZING!"

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts? 

"I think a night at the theatre will mean more. We won’t take as much for granted. We will appreciate the simple joys of life!"

When do you think that’ll happen? 

"When it’s safe to do so. I sure hope it is sooner rather than later!"

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time? 

"I’ve participated in several online cabarets and interviews. I’ve been teaching as many lessons as I can over Zoom or Facetime, (acting and voice). I’m painting SO MUCH, which I absolutely love, but is very time consuming. I just finished a painting for a dear friend, and I think it took a total of 15 hours over several days."

Trisha Ditsworth in The Sound of Music at The Phoenix Theatre Company
photo by Reg Madison Photography
Any binge tv shows you’ve watched? 

"We’ve been watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and it is amazing what kind of lengths the show creators go to! So amazed by that show, and it’s perfect for two musical theatre lovers in our household."

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on? 

"I’m newly obsessed with cactus and succulents, so I’ve been planting a lot. Potting plants, learning how to propogate plants…it’s exciting! I love my plant babies. And of course, I have been painting/repurposing pots to put the plants in. Because, why not? I’ve got the time!"

How has this experience changed you? 

"It’s teaching me that I’m a bit impatient when it comes to life. Hopefully I am learning to slow down. Be more accepting of the unknown. Acknowledging and accepting my feelings even if they aren’t the best parts of me. I am learning to take deep breaths."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to when the stay at home order is lifted? 

"First, I need to hug my family and friends about 80 times. THEN...Performing in Something Rotten! It is one of the most hilarious shows I’ve ever been a part of, and I cannot wait to get back to the magic of theatre."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.