Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: SAM PRIMACK

Sam Primack
photo by Allyson Ochs
by Gil Benbrook

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. There is also an uncertainty  as to when theatres can reopen since it's unclear how current social distancing guidelines will work in an industry that is known for having audiences seated close to each other while engaged in live performances on stages sometimes within an arms distance away.

Today we launch a series of interviews that focus on individuals from the Phoenix area who work on stage and behind the scenes with the questions centered around what they've been doing during the last six weeks, how they've been staying creative and what they're looking forward to once things get back to normal.

We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

Primack: "I was the Evan Hansen alternate on the North American tour of Dear Evan Hansen!"

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

"Since the mandated quarantine has begun, along with all of the other shows, we have been sent home waiting for the show to begin again."

How has your daily routine changed?

"My daily routine has changed mostly in the fact that I don’t really have a daily routine anymore. Since I’m currently not in school, my days consist of a lot of workouts and trying to keep myself occupied. "

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"I’m interested in the amount of people who will want to come back to the theatre, considering how close everyone sits together and what types of shows people will be interested in seeing again. After months of depressing news and horrible death counts, will there be any desire to sit through a tragedy again, or will people find an outlet in theatre to relive their sadness?"

When do you think that’ll happen?

"Hopefully no later than August or September, but that’s thinking positively. Some people have rumored we will be out until January, so we will just have to wait and see. "

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"During the quarantine, I’ve been trying to stay creative by being a part of several online virtual cabarets, while also creating new shows, one particularly that is coming soon that I’m very excited about!, and singing as much as I can. "

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"I have been watching so many movies during this time, mostly old Disney movies that I haven’t seen since I was little."

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"I started playing video games again, as well as several new fun board games that my family all plays. We probably play a game of Settlers of Catan almost every day, and the competitions are always ruthless. "

How has this experience changed you?

"Personally, this has been an amazing time to reflect and take some time for myself and also getting to spend this time with my family has been amazing."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to when the stay at home order is lifted?

"I cannot wait to be able to see my friends and family that I haven’t been able to see since this started and excited for the coming months and to see whats in store."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.