Wednesday, April 27, 2022

A Conversation with LEA SALONGA, who will appear in concert at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts on May 5

Lea Salonga

by Gil Benbrook

When she was just 18, Lea Salonga had already won the Tony and Olivier Awards for her performance as Kim in Miss Saigon. She was the first Asian woman to win a Tony.

Over the next thirty years, Salonga would gain a huge fan base from other musicals and films she appeared in, including playing both Eponine and Fantine in Les Misérables, the Broadway revivals of Flower Drum Song and Once On This Island, the new musical Allegiance, and singing for two Disney princesses in the films Aladdin and Mulan.

Salonga has appeared continually in concerts around the world, both with her band and with symphony orchestras, and has released several solo albums.

After being sidelined for close to two years due to the pandemic, Salonga is currently back on the road on her "Dream Again" tour and will be in Scottsdale on May 5th at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts. 

Lea took a brief break between her concert dates to talk about the impact of the COVID shut down on her live appearances, what she learned from being stuck at home, along with her thoughts on other projects she tackled since I last spoke to her when she was coming to town, including playing Mrs. Lovett in a production of Sweeney Todd.

Lea, your "Dream Again" tour recently went back on the road, and it's been two years since your last live concert. What can you tell us about that experience of your first concert being back in front of a live audience again?

Lea Salonga: "We had ourselves a 'Christmas miracle' for my first show back after lockdowns! I received an invitation to sing at the Dubai Expo on December 25. I’ll admit, I was nervous and uncertain since it had been two years since I last performed in front of an audience. Turns out I didn’t have to worry, my body remembered what to do and we all had a fantastic time. It was exciting and so much fun! So for the tour, it felt like old hat when we opened in Winnipeg. "

2020 and most of 2021 were especially rough on artists and performers, since everything was shut down. What has the last two years been like for you due to the pandemic?

"Way too quiet. I had gotten accustomed to a life with tours during the spring and summer, corporate gigs, concerts and whatever else. All of that was taken away. I was still fortunate though as I was able to do fundraisers and things from my living room, but it’s something I’d rather not live through again. The level of uncertainty was very uncomfortable. "

Many people found new hobbies during the time they spent home due to the pandemic, were there any new ones that you found? 

"I learned how to bake sourdough and make sauerkraut. Turns out the top of my fridge is some sort of magical fermentation station! I also did a little bit of crocheting and knitting to pass the time. Nothing to write home about though. "

Any books you read or TV series you binged during the pandemic that you've been recommending?

"No, not really. I did finish Drag Race but not much else. I felt largely unmotivated to start something new. "

Anything else you did to keep busy in the early months of the shut down?

"I found BTS. And that kept me very busy! Those guys are the gift that keep on giving!"

Was there anything you learned about yourself during that time?

"That I’m far more resilient and self-reliant than I think. "

The last time you were in Scottsdale was three years ago, right after you resumed your tour after taking some time off due to your skiing accident. Have you had any lasting side effects from that accident?

"Thankfully no. I’m back to walking normally again and standing in high heels. The pandemic and the ensuing sedentary lifestyle probably did more than the accident did. "

When you were in town last, I had the pleasure of asking you some questions about the various stage and screen roles you've played, so I won't ask you about those again, However, since then you've worked on several other projects, including appearing as Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd in Manila and Singapore, and being featured in an independent film with Eva Noblezada, Yellow Rose. What was it like tackling a role like Mrs. Lovett?

"That might’ve been the most fun I had working on a show. Getting to play a villain is far more of a trip than the ingenue, to be honest! Not to mention Stephen Sondheim’s music and lyrics… it was difficult learning everything, but once I got it, it felt amazing to do. "

Eva was recently in concert at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts and in my interview with her she spoke highly about you and the friendship the two of you have. What was it like appearing in Yellow Rose with her, not only since she played Kim in the West End and Broadway revivals of Miss Saigon, but because the film was one of the first Filipino-American films to be released by a major Hollywood studio?

"That woman is a star. Great head on her shoulders, outspoken, well-spoken, smart and hella talented. Working with her on Yellow Rose was so lovely, but because my time on the film was so short I didn’t feel like I got to spend enough time with her. "

In the last few years, there has been an incredible boom of biopic musicals, Tina, MJ, Beautiful, etc. What Asian musician, singer, or figure would you like to see a musical created about?

"Oh my, I don’t know! Ask me again in a few years. "

You recently filmed a recurring role in the HBO series, Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin. What was that experience like?

"Okay, off the bat I’m not a watcher of the horror slasher genre because I have a vivid imagination and can’t sleep well at night for days after seeing something scary. Working on Pretty Little Liars was such a fantastic experience because it helped to demystify a lot of what I’m scared of, like seeing how magicians do tricks. Plus the young women that star in the show - the new generation of liars - are so talented and gorgeous. I can’t wait for folks to watch this."

Your concerts always feature a wide range of material - not just songs from shows or the films you've been in but also pop hits and other songs. Are there any new songs or musicals you've discovered in the last few years that you've added to your concert lineup?

"You’ll just have to watch and see. I’m not giving anything away. "

What do you hope audiences will take away from your concert at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts?

"Hopefully audiences leave feeling joyful and optimistic that in some way, we’re all finding ways to move forward. That we’ve all been able to hold on to some amount of joy. "

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.