Thursday, October 28, 2021

Talking to CARRIE director Chris R. Chávez

Director Chris R. Chávez and choreographer Tina Khalil
photo by JT Turner / Jack Sprat Consulting

by Gil Benbrook 

Valley actor and director Chris R. Chávez has appeared in numerous shows in town and also directed both plays and musicals at several theatres, including Scottsdale Desert Stages, Mesa Encore Theatre and Arizona Regional Theatre.  Chávez is back at Desert Stages, where he also directed A Christmas Story-The Play and Chicago: High School Edition, to direct their production of Carrie, the Musical.

For a long time fan of both horror and musical theatre, Chávez is right at home with this show, which was based on the popular Stephen King novel about the sheltered teenage girl who discovers she has special abilities. 

Chávez sat down to answer some questions about the musical and this production, which opened last weekend and runs through Halloween.

How much did you know about the musical version of King's novel before you were hired to direct this production?

"I am part of the cult following of Carrie: The Musical.  I first heard of the musical around 2005 when I picked up a book called "Not Since Carrie: Forty Years of Broadway Musical Flops" by Ken Mandelbaum.  The book talked about a number of shows that flopped up the date of publication of the novel, including Carrie.  I just hope one day we can get a sequel to the book or in the least, an update.  Some of the shows in the book definitely need to be produced.  

Why did you want to direct this musical?

"I am a huge horror fan and, of course, a musical theatre fan.  This show was a perfect amalgamation of two of my loves.  Additionally, knowing the history of Carrie, I wanted to take a stab (no pun intended) at my own interpretation."

What type of research did you do before rehearsals started?

"I don't know if you would call it research, really, being that I have been a fan of almost every incarnation of the piece.  I picked up the novel again this Summer. It has been about twenty-five years since I had read it, but I wanted to revisit it to gain a new perspective.  This really helped me in the area of character work.  I also watched the original Brian De Palma movie (the superior of the three movies and one sequel) which is one of my favorite classic horror films.  Lastly, I listened to a podcast called "Out For Blood" which detailed the problematic history of the show up to the 2012 Off-Broadway production and gave me a lot of perspective into the original intent of the show"

What have you discovered about the show during the rehearsal process?

"The biggest thing I have figured out, it is NOT easy. This has honestly been one of the most difficult shows I have ever directed.  The technical aspects alone are quite a feat, but finding actors that could completely carry these roles without being a facsimile of other productions, was also a bear.  That being said, I think audiences will be pleasantly surprised with what we have brought to this thrilling show. "

Do you have a favorite scene or song in the show, and why is it your favorite?

"One of the standouts for me is "When There's No One' sung by the character Margaret, portrayed by the fantabulous Kathleen Berger.  This was a difficult scene/song for us to stage as the song itself is very simple.  With that, we collaborated on something that is so raw and real.  It is probably a scene I could watch every night.  This song was originally written for Barbara Cook in one of the early versions of the musical, but I can say with the utmost confidence that Kathleen makes this song her very own."

Why do you think this story is still relevant today?

"Teens get bullied every day and now with social media, there is much more access and ability to do so.  Carrie may be a horror story, but at the end of the day, it is about humanity and the things that people do, whether subconsciously or not, that can drive a person to the brink.  "

What do you hope audiences will take away from seeing Carrie at Desert Stages?

"With Carrie: The Musical, I hope audiences walk away with something fresh and new, even if they are familiar with the movies, the novel, and the musical.  Additionally, I hope this show will inspire parents who see it to have conversations with their teenagers.  Bullying is still a very real aspect of high school and teenage life.  Teens are often afraid to speak about it for fear of being further tormented.  This needs to stop.  We need to allow those being bullied to speak up and address their concerns.  After all, as it is stated in Carrie, 'What does it cost to be kind?' "


No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.