Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: JAMES D. GISH

James D. Gish (right) with Kennedy Caughell in Beautiful, the Carole King Musical
photo by Joan Marcus

by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to the impact of COVID and our stay at home mandate, continues today with a conversation with Arizona native, actor James D. Gish. 

Gish has played numerous lead roles at theatres in town, including as Jack in Newsies, Tony in West Side Story and as Bob Gaudio in Jersey Boys at the Phoenix Theatre Company, and is currently appearing as Gerry Goffin in the national tour of Beautful, the Carole King Musical.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Please note that this interview happened in late May before the protests and the recent large increase in COVID cases in Arizona.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

"I remember joking with the cast of Beautiful the night before to drink it all in in case we got cancelled the next day. Turns out we got the news in Texas the next day. We were bussing into a hotel when one of us had a friend who’s ticket got cancelled for that evening. That’s how we learned our venues were dropping like flies on March 13th, and within a few hours they were already arranging our flights home."

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

"It’s strange to lose your entire industry in addition to your job. It’s strange to be sitting at home when I was acclimated to traveling 3 times a week, but I’m finding ways to stay busy."

How has your daily routine changed?

"I’m enjoying more regularity day by day than I have in a long time. It’s been a while since the last time I was able to wake up and make a cup of coffee before starting my day!"

James D. Gish and the cast of Newsies
The Phoenix Theatre Company
photo by Reg Madison Photography

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"Small shows will inherit Broadway. Less cast, less crew, smaller productions with shorter runs that operate under cheaper tickets from smaller audiences. I think tours will get back to normal much sooner, but I anticipate lots of half-empty theatres and strict backstage rules for a long time. Shows will be restaged so there’s less physical contact between actors."

When do you think that’ll happen?

"The million dollar question! The theatre websites say September, but the grapevine says January or March for New York theatre. Here’s hoping some change allows it to happen sooner, but this is going to be a drawn out and arduous process."

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"I consider myself lucky that I have a passion for writing in addition to performing. I’ve written a couple of young adult fantasy novels that I’m starting to market and pitch to agencies and such, and that’s been very exciting in its own right."

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"Aside from Tiger King, really only That 70s Show with my girlfriend Jessie Jo. We don’t watch a ton of tv- can’t seem to sit still long enough!"

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"I’ve been helping revamp my parents’ bar during the shutdown, so I suppose you could say I’m an amateur painter and even more amateur carpenter these days."

How has this experience changed you?

"It’s taught the harsh but necessarily lesson that nothing is permanent or guaranteed. I find myself relishing in the small joys in life recently because with everything we’ve lost, we still have so much to be thankful for and you never know if the world could be upended again."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to now that Arizona and most states have lifted the stay at home order?

"To be frank, I’ll be staying home and being careful as much as I can, but I’m looking forward to small businesses being able to make money again. I’ll continue to do lots of takeout and roadside product pick ups to support them over the coming months!"

James D. Gish and Jessie Jo Pauley perform "Love is an Open Door":

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.