Wednesday, February 14, 2018

A conversation with KINKY BOOTS' Lance Bordelon

by Gil Benbrook
Lance Bordelon
photo by Matthew Murphy

The musical Kinky Boots took Broadway by storm in 2013, winning six Tony Awards, including Best Musical. The show is about to celebrate its 5th anniversary on Broadway, the West End production just celebrated its 1000th performance, and the show has been presented in cities around the world, as well as on tour. 

The national tour of the show comes to the Orpheum Theatre this week and we got a chance to ask one of the two stars of the musical, Lance Bordelon, a few questions about the show.

In the show you play Charlie, what can you tell us about him?

"Charlie is the son of a shoe factory owner in a small, factory town of Northampton, England. After the sudden passing of his father, he inherits the family business and is quickly faced with saving the factory from closing—all while balancing his own personal challenges of finding peace in himself and the life he sees for himself. Charlie is a real human, a flawed and passionate person. He is constantly trying to move the needle forward and even though he fails, he is growing and learning through every interaction he shares with the people in his life. I think this “imperfect hero” is a very refreshing character to see on stage and one that I feel so lucky to be challenged by and dive into every night. I love that “what you see is what you get” with Charlie. He hides very little of his emotions and thoughts from the audience or his peers, and we see him as transparent as he can be at various times in the show. I think this honesty, even when it may hurt him or those in his life, is very refreshing to see in a character on stage. And this honesty is critical in helping him heal some of his own personal wounds and ultimately lead to growth, forgiveness, and acceptance."

Lance Bordelon
photo by Matthew Murphy
Charlie is both the "straight man" of the musical, and also slightly the antagonist to Lola in the second act when he is faced with a crisis. But, fortunately, he learns from his mistakes. What is it like playing that range in the part and how do you keep it fresh night after night?

"That is a great question! I have definitely increased my physical fitness routines and yoga/meditation to keep a clear mind and endurance to play this role 8 times a week, often in multiple cities a week. But I also remind myself daily when I enter the factory and meet Lola each night, that the shared words, emotions, moments, reactions, etc... this is all new information to me. I try to come into the show without judgments or expectations or anticipations of what WILL happen each night, and just BE. As someone who identifies personally with so many aspects of this story, from the familial relationships to being a member of the LGBT community myself, I remind myself each day of two things that help me stay truly present and “in the room” each night...First, that I have never heard these words before, this is all new information. And second, be honest and tell this story from your heart. More than preparing pre-production, I challenge myself daily with these preparations while out here on the road to stay fresh."

Those sound like excellent rules that would benefit every performer. While the show is a serious musical, there is a lot of humor in the show, including that every character ends up in heels, even you as the straight-laced Charlie. How difficult was it to get comfortable in the high ones you wear at the end of the show?

"Luckily, the boots in the show are all custom made to each of us, so I am very grateful for that! They are slightly smaller than my actual foot, so they are snug and I can really grip the stage a bit. But it definitely took some practice to get the hang of things. Spoiler Alert: I can also say that when I “hit the dust”...some nights it doesn’t take too much effort to make my stumbling look realistic. But on a serious note, I have tremendous respect for Jos N. Banks, who plays Lola, and the Angels that rehearsed for eight hours a day, and have performed eight shows a week since September, in those heels!"

Jos N. Banks and Lance Bordelon
photo by Matthew Murphy
What's your favorite moment in the show?

"I’d have to say my favorite moment in the show is and has always been the duet my character shares with Lola, near the end of the first Act. Up to that moment, the audience sees our stories unfolding and almost paralleling each other, and this moment shows just how much these two people actually have in common. And that’s what I feel Kinky Boots really shows us all, that we as humans have so much more in common than what makes us different or even divides us."

I also love that duet as it really brings the two characters together and provides a great connection not only between them but also with them and the audience. Since the show opened on Broadway the political climate has changed considerably. How do you think the show works in the current climate and what do you think it is about this show that has made it so endearing and enduring to theatregoers?

"I love that there is this central, core message of acceptance of people that are simply different from you. This message isn’t bound by race, gender, creed, politics, background....but transcends all social boundaries and simply reminds us that while we don’t all have to agree with each other, this show challenges us to accept each other with respect, always. I think Kinky Boots is successful for many reasons, but I am most proud of the impact of this show because, much like in the spirit of Lola, this show is an open door, open arms, an open heart, and an open conversation about our shared human experiences. And it’s wrapped up in an incredibly witty book by Harvey, and driven with powerful music by Cyndi. It will entertain just as much as it will make you think."

Kinky Boots has a beautiful message about acceptance, being true to yourself and how when people are presented with a situation that is outside of their comfort zone it has the power to change their mind for the better. What do you hope the audience takes away from the show?

"I couldn’t agree more! When I first saw Kinky Boots on Broadway a few years ago, I had just moved to NYC full-time and was already filled with many mixed emotions in my own personal life. I will admit that I had uncontrollable “ugly tears” throughout the show. I was inspired, entertained, proud, and knew instantly that this piece of art is packed with purpose. It means so much to so many people and I see the impact every single night after the show when talking to audience members at the Stage Door. I became an actor to tell great stories, with honesty and an open heart, that challenge us, make us think, and see the world—maybe even ourselves—in new or different ways. As I said before, the heart of the show isn’t bound by race, gender, creed, politics, backgrounds....but transcends all social boundaries and simply reminds us that while we don’t all have to agree with each other, this show challenges us to accept each other with respect, always."

CLICK HERE for more information on Kinky Boots, which plays the Orpheum Theatre from February 16th to 18th

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.