Monday, August 10, 2015

The 2015 AriZoni Nominees react to being nominated

by Gil Benbrook

PHX Stages reached out to dozens of 2015 Zoni nominees, shortly after they learned that they were nominated for the Valley's biggest theatre award, to find out where they were when they heard the news about being nominated and their reaction to what the nomination means to them.  The 2015 AriZoni Awards ceremony is Monday September 21st - click here for more information.

Shari Watts on Brett Aiken's Zoni nominated set in Follies
Theater Works
Photo: Wade Moran
Brett Aiken
Scenic Design - Non-Contracted Theatre & Property Design - Non-Contracted Theatre: Theater Works  Follies 

"I was at home with my wife when I heard of my two nominations this year for Follies.  I would have been at the readings, but we were in the process of moving into our new home at the time! I feel honored as the two this year now bring me up to 10 AriZoni nominations, including ones for my acting, producing, directing and technical skills.  I've won four, all in different categories including Best Overall Production for Oklahoma as I was the producer for that production. I think Follies was my best scenic work to date.  I put an extreme amount of detail into the design.  It is an honor to be recognized for it!"

Matravius Avent
Actor in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Musical: Desert Foothills Theater  Dreamgirls
Choreography - Non-Contracted Theatre:
Fountain Hills Theater  The Soul of Broadway: Act II 

"I was in music rehearsal for The Wiz (Mesa Encore Theatre, Sept 11th-20th at The Mesa Arts Center) when I heard about being nominated. A few friends tagged me in posts and sent texts congratulating me on the nomination(s). Then a few cast members started congratulating me as well. I had to wait until break to realize what I was nominated for. These are my first nominations. Being nominated for Dreamgirls is very exciting. But being nominated with so many people from that beautiful production is what makes me rejoice. Everyone worked so hard to bring this show to life. So seeing the recognition is very special.  I was completely shocked by the Soul of Broadway nomination. And for choreography, you say? I'd forgotten that we were even adjudicated!  Soul of Broadway is very dear to me. It's been wonderful to see this opportunity we've created grow over the years.  I know every one of us are thankful for the positive reception and recognition we've received. It's always nice to be recognized for your hard work. Win or lose, I'm looking forward to celebrating on Zoni night with the wonderful community we have!"

Danny Karapetian and Stephen Serna in
Lend Me a Tenor - Hale Centre Theatre
photo: Nick Woodward-Shaw
Alaina Beauloye
Director - Non-Contracted Play: Hale Centre Theatre  Lend Me a Tenor

"I was at our first rehearsal for Heaven Can Wait, which I'm directing for the Hale Theatre, when Stephen Serna whispered to me in the middle of blocking a scene, that we were nominated for Lend Me A Tenor. I thought he was joking around because he was still in character. I started laughing and said 'stop it!'  But soon I realized he was serious and I was very thankful and proud. I had the perfect cast for my first time directing. We all worked very hard and I feel so grateful for the nomination."

Kathleen Berger
Actress in a Supporting Role - Non-Contracted Musical: Theater Works  How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying  

"I was sitting at my computer, surfing around Twitter and Facebook in the hope that someone would live-tweet the nominations, when I got simultaneous notifications from Paul Pedersen and Brenda Goodenberger that I'd been nominated! This is my first time being nominated - in fact, it's the first time I've been nominated for ANYTHING since I was in college (really and truly), and I'm so thrilled and honored and delighted. Miss Jones in H2$ was a dream role, one of the first times I've ever been able to totally step out of myself and become a totally different person (who isn't really all that much like me!), and Toby Yatso, Steve Hilderbrand and Kat Bailes made me feel like a REAL actress, singer, and even dancer-ish, instead of just "that tall chick with the high notes" (yes, I know, people don't actually think of me that way). Plus, both my brother, Jesse Berger, and my dad, Marty Berger, have been nominated for and received ariZoni awards in the past, so it's now a true family affair. And I did a happy dance with the cats, of course!"

Damon J. Bolling
Director - Non-Contracted Musical; Desert Foothills Theater  Dreamgirls
Guest Actor - Non-Contracted Theater (Plays and Musicals Combined): Stray Cat Theatre  The Brothers Size  

"I was at the reading of the nomination ceremony. I was absolutely thrilled and honored. While I've previously won three Zoni awards, I am most humbled by my debut as a director to receive a nomination for best director.  I have had the incredible opportunity to participate in two projects this past theatre season that have meant more to me than anyone will ever know: The Brothers Size and Dreamgirls. I am overwhelmed with humility and graciousness with the VISIBLE recognition of artists and pieces featuring actors of color. The two productions have been recognized for a cumulative 17 AriZoni award nominations this season. Thank you Ron May and Meribeth Reeves for taking risks in Phoenix Arizona, hiring LOCAL ACTORS OF COLOR (and not outsourcing) and continuously striving to be better to make art HERE."

Addison Alicia Bowman in 13, the Musical - Theater Works
photo: Julie Waters
Addison Alicia Bowman
Actress in a Supporting Role - Youth Musical: Theater Works, YouthWorks  13

"The time the AriZoni nominees were announced, I was at a location where I was unable to check my phone, because of poor service. I was unfortunately not able to attend the ceremony, but definitely was aware that the nominees were being read. I always get a little nervous for these sorts of things, because I like to stay positive, but not set my hopes too high. When I got home, and my phone started working, I saw that a couple of friends had texted me 'congratulations.' At first it didn't click what it was for. I had a slight blonde moment, and got a little confused, but it quickly sank in that I must have been nominated! It was such a great feeling to be recognized for my role of Lucy. I have been involved in Musical Theater since the age of 9, and have always strived to be noticed  for my performances. This is my first time being nominated and for me personally being recognized by the AriZoni Awards, makes me want to work harder so that I can experience the feeling of being a Zoni nominee again in the future!"

Portia Beacham, Susan St. John an Cole Brackney
Valhalla - Nearly Naked Theatre
photo: Laura Durant
Cole Brackney
Actor in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Play
Nearly Naked Theatre  Valhalla

"I was having dinner in my apartment with my boyfriend and some friends and a friend texted me saying 'Congrats on your Zoni nom!' and I just said to them 'wait, for what??' And they replied 'for your role as James Avery in Valhalla.' Granted it was an amazing experience and my first production with a big theatre company in the Valley, but I wasn't expecting a nomination for it. Then I told the friends at the table it was my first time ever being nominated. It was rather exciting."

Zoni nominees Matravius Avent and Chanel Bragg
in Dreamgirls - Desert Foothills Theatre
photo: Tiffany Bollock
Chanel Brag
Actress in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Musical: Desert Foothills Theater  Dreamgirls & Fountain Hills Theater  The Soul of Broadway: Act II  
Director - Non-Contracted Musical: Fountain Hills Theater  The Soul of Broadway: Act II (with Mitchell Vantrease)

"I am currently in Montana performing as Kala in Tarzan with Fort Peck Theatre, and Brooke Unverferth from Stray Cat, ( Love her so much by the way) texted congratulations on the nominations. I wasn't aware to even look until her message. I was immediately inundated with calls, texts, IM's, and emails from this beautiful and supportive theater community, ready to congratulate me on the 3 nominations received. Although I guess I should've been over the moon about my personal nominations, I was more ecstatic to learn of the nominations of my comrads! ( Not to take away from the previous Zoni awards I have received, but these nominations mean more to me on a deeper and personal level.)  This year, I witnessed people I love and admire being recognized for their hard work in nominations that were long overdue, and then it clicked... OH MY GOD, I counted the number of zoni nominations of people of color, and my heart just exploded. HARD DISCLAIMER:::: This is not with intent to take away from anyone, nor make it a "race" thing. Personally,  I have had enough of the back and forth insensitivity during the whole "tenor gate" issue, and I would hate for my enthusiasm of the diversity in nominations to be twisted to mean something else. The hard fact is, there has never been this many African Americans nominated, and I am so proud and incredibly honored to sit among such talented individuals for such a prestigious honor. I must also share that I am forever indebted to Desert Foothills Theater and Meribeth Reeves for taking the risk on Dreamgirls. DFT's courage to produce a show that many theaters locally would have felt it was too hard to take on, should be applauded. We all know that African American shows are not often produced here in Arizona. That reason alone is why Soul of Broadway was born back in 2009. My brother Mitchell Vantrease and I were fed up with there not being enough representation from diverse backgrounds on our Phoenix Stages. We created Soul of Broadway to give opportunity to showcase amazing material, and with intent to create social change within our theater community, while doing so in a positive way. I am so incredibly proud of the members of Soul of Broadway and with the Zoni Nominations received this year. I feel we have finally quantified a goal we created so long ago, and that was to bring Diversity to the stage. Now, within our communities, there are shows with diversity popping up all over our state, and if we had anything to do with that, we consider it a win! I must also take a moment to thank additionally Fountain Hills for allowing  our show Soul Of Broadway Act II, to be on their season and eligible for adjudication. Peter Hill and Fountain Hills Theatre has been a long time supporter of Soul of Broadway for many years, and we are incredibly grateful!"

Heidi Carpenter
Actress in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Play: Fountain Hills Theater Same Time, Next Year

"I was at Fountain Hills Theatre at a music rehearsal for South Pacific.  Patricia Tonzi, had been at the reading of the nominations and stopped by the theatre afterwards.  She congratulated me and I said "For what?"  I had not heard anything and being at rehearsal had not been able to check my phone except on breaks. Patricia was happy she was the one to tell me as she was one of the first people I met at Fountain Hills Theatre back in 2009 and has been so helpful to me over the years. This is my first nomination! I'm thrilled for many reasons. First of all, yes, I agree that one should not become an actress (or performer of any kind) For the awards or to win awards; but I am also not one of those people who says "They don't matter."  I admit I enjoy recognition because I love what I do and it means a lot to know I am reaching, entertaining and, hopefully, moving people!  I think all live theatre (not just the highly dramatic or the experimental) but all well-written plays and musicals bring something to audiences and that is why I am an actress.  To, again hopefully, make people laugh, cry, muse, think and sometimes just to plain entertain them and give them a great night out.  All good plays illuminate something about the human condition and that is why theatre is so important and necessary.  Also, an awards night is another great way to bring attention to a live theatre community!  I am proud to be recognized, to be nominated. I had the honor of playing Doris in Same Time, Next Year.   That is not only on the dream role list it is in the single digits! The audiences at FHT are amazing!  My leading man Chad Campbell - could not have asked for a better partner onstage to take this journey with.  Our staff and crew - fabulous.  Lastly, and I'm going to have trouble finding the words on this one.  I consider myself a "director's actress" I don't tend to struggle against directors, I love being directed.  I have, in my life so far (including here in AZ) the great good fortune to work with Fabulous directors; all of whom I will happily work with again.  That being said, every once in a while you find a really exceptional collaborative/creative working relationship with a director and that is how I feel about working with Peter Hill.  I would pretty much be directed by him in anything, anywhere, anytime."

Dyana Carroll in Lombardi -
Desert Stages Theatre
photo: Heather Butcher
Dyana Carroll
Actress in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Play: Fountain Hills Theater Always a Bridesmaid
and Scottsdale Desert Stages Theatre Lombardi

"I was rehearsing for Sylvia at Fountain Hills Theater when I got the news. There were several people at the theater also rehearsing for South Pacific when the news started to circulate throughout the theater. Some friends came up to me as I was leaving the theater and said, 'congratulations' I said, 'for what?'  That is how I found out. I was honestly shocked, thrilled and a little embarrassed all at the same time. I rushed home to share the news with my kids and woke up my husband. I then quickly got online to see who else was nominated.  I realize there were a lot of amazing people who didn’t get recognized including fellow cast members that I shared the stage with. As grateful as I am for being nominated I share this recognition with my cast mates and directors who helped me to relate, stretch, grow and shine. I also would like to share my nomination for Lombardi with Diane Senffner & Tim Pittman. They know the standing ovations they received nightly is award enough, but I still would like to use this platform to recognize them. The last time I was nominated for a Zoni was in I believe in 2012-2013 for Lend Me a Tenor. I didn’t win but the evening was a blast and I look forward to this year’s celebration. Congratulations to this year’s nominees and everyone who participated in a show both on and off stage!"

Hector Coris in The Man Who Came to Dinner -
Hale Centre Theatre
photo: Nick Woodward-Shaw
Hector Coris
Actor in a Supporting Role - Non-Contracted Play: Hale Centre Theatre The Man who Came to Dinner

"I was at home trying to finish the 2nd season of Bates Motel on Netflix when a friend who was following the nominations texted to congratulate me. Of course, I was thrilled. My previous (acting) nomination was for playing Aldolpho in Drowsy Chaperone at MCC my first year in Arizona, after moving here from New York. Talk about a shock - being a total unknown here and  recognized solely for the work on the stage. I didn't win, but the nomination was plenty award enough. Since I didn't really know anyone in town, I only found out by reading the list of nominations and seeing my name there. No one texted or told me. Rob Stuart beat me out for that one, I believe, but I can't think of anyone better to lose to! Later, I directed Rob in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels at Hale Centre Theatre which actually won me a Directing Zoni, so I guess Rob paid me back with his talent. The show also won Hale its only 'Overall Production' Award that year as well, so I'm very proud of that production, cast and crew. Playing 'Banjo' in The Man Who Came to Dinner at Hale Centre Theatre was such a thrill - mainly because I had no idea the role would be so much fun and so far outside my comfort zone. So it was a blast to get to play that and stretch myself as an actor. Plus, I had a really sweet wig, too."

Rhea Courtney
Costume Design - Youth Theatre: Musical Theatre of Anthem  The Diary of Anne Frank

"We were actually at the reading and were not paying much attention since we didn’t think we would get anything.  Especially after the adult productions were read and we were excluded. So it was a pleasant surprise when our names were read for The Diary of Anne Frank. It was our first production at Musical Theatre of Anthem.  It was a great experience and are extremely proud that our work was recognized for that show.  This is our 2nd nomination and we are relatively new to the award process so it’s still a thrill to hear your name amongst your peers.  Even if we don’t win, I’m hoping for a fun night with the theatre community."

Jamie Sandomire, Kaleena Newman and Osiris Cuen
(back) Kate Haas in Girls Who Wear Glasses
Childsplay
Photo: Tim Trumble
Osiris Cuen
Actress in a Supporting Role - Contracted Play: Childsplay  Girls Who Wear Glasses 

"I was sitting at home watching TV. I was casually scrolling through Facebook when I started seeing Stray Cat Posting their nominations. Then Paul Pederson was tagging people in " congratulations " statuses. I started getting a little bummed out because I thought "I haven't been nominated yet... I feel like I did some good work this year..." And then, in the middle of my doubt, a little notification pops up that says "Paul Pederson tagged you in a status" I got really excited and I looked and there it was, my congrats on a Zoni nom. It's my first nomination. I'm very glad that we have something to award our efforts. Being an actor is difficult, it's inconsistent, it doesn't pay well, but I love it. Awards may mean nothing to a lot of artist but I am still very excited to have been nominated."

Trisha Ditsworth and Toby Yatso in Mary Poppins
Phoenix Theatre
photo: Erin Evangeline Photography 
Trisha Ditsworth
Actress in a Major Role - Contracted Musical: Phoenix Theatre  Anything Goes & Phoenix Theatre  Mary Poppins

"I was teaching a voice lesson when a friend texted me about it, so I didn't even know what I was nominated for. It's such an honor. I was nominated for my roles in Pippin and La Cage Aux Folles the last two Zoni Awards, and I am thrilled to be nominated this year. Arizona is full of talent and I feel so lucky to be a part of this amazing theatre community. Congrats to all of the fabulous nominees! And thank you so much to Phoenix Theatre and Michael and Robbie for believing in me."

Tyler J. Gasper
Actor in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Musical
ASU Lyric Opera Theatre  Reefer Madness 
Actor in a Supporting Role - Non-Contracted Musical
ASU Lyric Opera Theatre  Children of Eden

"I was actually at the Phoenix Center for the Arts listening to the nominations being read! I go every year because I love having the chance to see the community get together and visit with everyone from all over town. Hearing your name is such an unexpected feeling. As the names are read off, i always imagine who they are talking about, and when they called my name, i remember thinking in the back of my head, "Huh..that name sounds so oddly familiar", and it wasn't until a few seconds later when my mother started shaking my leg that I realized it was for my show! It's such a wonderful feeling when you get recognized for your work. I couldn't feel more honored that someone in those audiences felt that i deserved these nominations. Even a few days later it feels surreal! I could not be more thankful for it. I can't believe that I've now been nominated for 8 zoni awards, winning my first in 2012 for Sweeney Todd."

Brenda Goodenberger
Director - Youth Play: Spotlight Youth Theatre  Ramona Quimby

"I was there at the reading of the ariZoni nominations with my hubby (who was also recognized!) when they announced my name. I was thrilled of course to be nominated for my hard work as a Director, but to be honest, I almost missed it because I was so busy texting and Facebook messaging all of my theater babies, and friends, and my daughter(!) to tell them about their nominations! And though I greatly appreciate that I have been nominated numerous times over the years, I have to admit that my favorite part of the ariZoni awards, is the fellowship of our AZ theater community. Friends and family, coming together to celebrate the arts and each other's talents. When we support each other, we are all winners!"

Carly Grossman in Rent
Spotlight Youth Theatre
Photo: Robert Waller
Carly Nicole Grossman
Actress in a Supporting Role - Youth Musical: Spotlight Youth Theatre  Rent

"When I first heard about the nominations I was at home cooking with my mama. Two years ago I won a Zoni with Lynzee 4man for choreography for Once On This Island and I really enjoyed sharing that moment with her, because she is like my soul sister. Creating art and telling a story to an audience is a wonderful wonderful thing that we get to do, so I think it is very nice to be recognized for that."

Chris Hamby
Director of a Youth Play: Theater Works, YouthWorks  The Tales from the Arabian Nights
Director of a Youth Musical: Desert Foothills Youth Theater  Hairspray and Theater Works, YouthWorks  A Year with Frog and Toad
Sound Design: Youth Theatre Theater Works, YouthWorks  The Tales from the Arabian Nights.

"I was at the Phoenix Center for the Arts at the nomination reading. It is always a nice feeling to know that others have recognized your hard work. While all of my nominations were exciting and an honor I am very proud to be recognized with a directing nomination for Hairspray at Desert Foothills Theatre. That was a show that was very much out of my comfort zone to direct and challenged me as a director. I was proud of it but it was also nice to be recognized for it."

Steve Hilderbrand
Music Direction - Non-Contracted Theatre: Theater Works  Follies 
Original Script - Adult - Play or Musical: Theater Works  I Get a Kick out of Cole (with Gary Gallner)

I was in Dallas, Texas on assignment for my “day job.” Some friends informed me via text message.  Due to the two-hour time difference the text notifications woke me up. Actually it was a wake-up “call” I was happy to receive.  I’ve had the honor of being nominated before (seven times in various categories). Another, oft-nominated, friend and I joke about being the Susan Luccis of the Zonis!
But in all seriousness, it is always gratifying to be nominated for creating “theatre” – which by its very nature is subjective. My real reward comes from the rehearsal process; the creation, the trial and error, the mentoring, gaining trust, helping people grow. Once the curtain goes up, we’re evaluated on the product of that process.  This season I’m nominated in two categories: Music Direction, Non-Contracted (for Follies, a “bucket-list” project) and Original Script, Adult, Play or Musical (for I Get a Kick Out of Cole – which was lovely, since is was a collaboration with my husband, Gary Gallner).

Kelli James in Theater Works' Follies
photo: Alastair Gamble

Kelli James
Guest Actor - Non-Contracted Theater (Plays and Musicals Combined): Theater Works  Follies 

"I was walking down the street in NYC when a friend called me with the news. Being recognized is one thing but feeling that you have made a connection with your work is another. I was nominated 10 years ago for my role in Beauty And The Beast as Mrs. Potts. My role in Follies was a gift, as is every day I get to spend working as an actor."

Alanna Kalbfleisch
Actress in a Supporting Role - Non-Contracted Musical: Mesa Encore Theatre Carousel &
Theater Works  I Get a Kick out of Cole 

"I was sitting at the Hale theater in Gilbert at rehearsal for Heaven Can Wait (we open September 14th, tell your friends) when my phone began to blow up. The sheer number of text messages overwhelmed me at first. I thought, "this is what BeyoncĂ© must feel like on a daily basis."  Here's a small sampling of the messages one receives when nominated for prestigious awards in the theatre arts: "Omg u talented bitch!" "Yaaaas Queen!!!" "Alanna, this is your mother, call me." That last one wasn't because I was nominated; she wanted to tell me about a coffee table she thought I'd like.  It's such a thrill to be nominated. Seeing your name on any list feels good, as all actors know. Not to mention, those two productions meant, and still do mean so much to me. I couldn't think of a sweeter ending to an amazing season. This is my first time ever being nominated for an AriZoni, and I'm so ecstatic to be included in this category with so many dedicated, smart, passionate women. As far as I'm concerned, I'm honestly just one lucky broad."

Jesse James Kamps
Actor in a Supporting Role - Contracted Play: Southwest Shakespeare Company  King Lear

"I was shopping at Safeway for gumbo fixings when I received a Facebook message from a good friend who was attending the reading of the nominations. At first, I had no idea what he was talking about when he mentioned it. I had forgotten that the nominations were to be read that evening - I was completely focused on the Creole feast I was prepping to make the next day! I immediately felt very honored, especially considering the other fine actors also nominated for actor in a supporting role. It is a privilege just to be mentioned alongside of them. I also felt proud to be able to represent  Southwest Shakespeare Company, my artistic home here in The Valley - a company that has meant the world to me over the past six years. This is my third nomination and it is always a thrill."

The Wizard of Oz at Don Bluth Front Row Theatre
featuring Carolyn Kinzie's hair and make-up designs
Zoni nominee Gary Caswell, Rick Davis, Emily McAtee and Allie Angus
Photo: Lori Kunzelman
Carolyn Kinzie
Hair & Makeup Design - Non-Contracted Theatre: Don Bluth Front Row Theatre  The Wizard of Oz

"I was actually at CVS with my Mom when I found out I was nominated. My sister called me practically hysterical to congratulate me. I was SOO confused. When she calmed down and told me I was nominated for a Zoni I just about cried because I never expected any kind of attention for my work. I've never been nominated for anything, ever, so it's a HUGE honor to be recognized for something I've worked so hard on."


Mark Hackmann and Melody Knudson in
The Man Who Came to Dinner- Hale Centre Theatre
photo: Nick Woodward-Shaw 
Melody Knudson
Actress in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Play: Hale Centre Theatre  The Man Who Came to Dinner
Actress in a Supporting Role - Non-Contracted Play: Don Bluth Front Row Theatre  Arsenic and Old Lace

"I am a company member at Brelby Theatre Company.  We are big on community here at Brelby so a number of our company members went to the reading of the AriZoni nominations together.  I was at the Brelby studio rehearsing for our upcoming production of Poseidon's Regret.  I grabbed my phone on a break and I had a text from one of my roomates that said, "You got a Zoni nom for Arsenic and Old Lace."  I asked her if she was sure it was me; I knew there were several productions of the show this season so I thought she must have been mistaken.  I received a text back saying, "It was for the Don Bluth Front Row Theatre, actress in a supporting role".  I was just shocked. I hadn't had formal training, I had no idea what an acting 'resume' should look like and I was using my pageant headshot since it was the only one I had.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I knew that I had a lot to learn and I was determined to establish myself as as an actor here in the Valley.  Staring at my phone, I got goose bumps. And I just kept staring at the text on my phone.  Shortly after that, I received another that said 'Congrats girl.  Two!  Best actress.  Man Who Came to Dinner'.  My jaw quite literally dropped.  I have spent the last two and a half years working hard to push myself, to grow in my craft, to learn from my directors and fellow actors, and work with a variety of theatre companies to get different perspectives. I want to prove myself as a seasoned actor in the Phoenix theatre scene. It had never really occurred to me that I would be acknowledged as part of that group of artists that I so admire and respect.  Suddenly, in the span of one week, I had been cast at Southwest Shakespeare Company for the first time and been nominated for two Zoni awards. I have never worked hard at my craft with the goal or intention of receiving accolades.  I work hard because my art is my passion and because there are stories to be told.  I work hard to present well developed, complex characters because I want to do justice to the character and to the playwright's vision.  To me, being nominated for both Best Actress in a Supporting Role AND Best Actress in a Leading Role is a confirmation that I have done just that.  It is a privilege and a pleasure to be nominated. I think of my directors at the various companies, who pushed me, took chances on me, and who gave me consistent words of praise, and I hope that my nominations means that I have done them proud."  

Jon Gentry and Molly Lajoie in The Three Javelinas - Childsplay
Photo: Tim Trumbule
Molly Lajoie
Choreography - Contracted Musical & Actress in a Major Role - Contracted Musical: Childsplay  The Three Javelinas 

"I was in San Diego visiting some family when I found out about the nominations.  I was looking at Facebook and people started talking about it.  Some of my dear friends, colleagues and students were mentioning each other, so I went to the site and started reading through the lists seeing names and feeling so proud of everyone! We have such a wonderful theatre community here in Arizona!  I came upon Contracted Lead Actress in a Musical and was so surprised to see my name!  I have not been nominated in this category before and I was truly excited!  But I am also so thrilled for the other women in the category, most of whom I know very well and are so proud of their work!  But it is a wonderful feeling to be recognized!  Working on a brand new show, The Three Javelinas, and a musical at that, was an amazing experience, but a tough one. But I learned so much from all of those involved on the project and I know it has made me a stronger actor and singer! I was excited to see that the choreography was also nominated!  It is quite a tough task to be in a show and choreograph it as well, especially to create a dance solo for yourself.  But what a wonderful opportunity and challenge it was!  I have been nominated in this category many times and have won for my work on The Producers with Phoenix Theatre years ago.  I also have won in the choreography for the youth show with Les Mis at Greasepaint a few years back.  As always, it is wonderful to be recognized, but I do this because of my passion for the arts and how it enhances not only my life, but those around us!  It is a gift!"

Griffin Ellis LeBlanc
Actor in a Major Role - Youth Musical: Starlight Community Theater  Li’l Abner 

"I was at Valley Youth Theater on Monday when the nominations were read. My mother, who was at the reading, texted me saying 'OMG, you just got a nomination for Lil' Abner! I'm so freaking proud of you!' I was in shock. I dropped my phone and sat in my chair, staring at my phone. Some of my castmates asked what was wrong and I told them that I got a Zoni nomination. I was very happy because it was my first time getting nominated for this award."

Sammie Lideen in Oliver! - Mesa Encore Theatre
photo: Sarah Rodgers
Sammie Lideen
Actress in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Musical: Mesa Encore Theatre  Oliver! 

"So I think it was early morning and I was in my apartment when I got a text from a friend I had done a show with that said 'congrats!' and I kinda had to wrack my brain as to what it might be about. But then I remembered that it must be about the Zonis as I have a lot of theatre friends on facebook and there was a lot of buzz about the Zonis recently.  I performed in Oliver! almost a year ago so the show or the possible nomination was not really in the forefront of my mind.  I had been eligible a few times for a Zoni but never received a nomination so I really didn't think this year would be any different.  It's always nice to be recognized for something that you love and put a lot of work into. I've gotten a lot of messages/texts from theatre friends to say 'congratulations on the nom.' I just moved to New York to pursue theatre and while sometimes homesickness gets the better of me, this little nod from the theatre community in Arizona was really nice to wake up to."

Emily McAtee
Actress in a Major Role - Youth Musical: Don Bluth Front Row Theatre  Disney’s Beauty and the Beast  

"When I found out I was nominated I was laying on the beach in Newport California watching the sunset around a fire. Paul Peterson tagged me in a congratulatory post. A smile grew across my face larger than it had in a long time. I am so honored to be recognized for all the hard work I put into Beauty and the Beast. This is my first Zoni nomination and it's a wonderful feeling to be recognized. I honestly didn't know Don Bluth Front Row Theatre was a part of the Zonie community, so I had no expectations of getting a nomination. Thank you so much to everyone who saw our show and partook in our little slice of magic!"

Shelby Maticic and Brian Maticic
Original Script - Adult - Play or Musical & Original Music Composition – Adult - Play or Musical: Brelby Theatre Company  12 Days of Christmas 

"Brian was actually at rehearsal for our upcoming world premiere, Poseidon’s Regret. I brought a handful of our company members to the reading of the nominations. They dressed up, got drinks beforehand and made a night of it! We’re proud to have been recognized for the second year now in the categories of original script and original music composition. We’re a new works incubator, so we’re honored to have been recognized for our storytelling and bringing something completely new to the Arizona arts landscape. We also were so proud of our production of She Kills Monsters by Qui Nguyen last season, that we were incredibly happy to have had a nomination from that production. Our artists have a lot of ties to other organizations in the valley, so we spent a lot of time cheering for our fellow nominees from ASU, Theatreworks, Southwest Shakes, Phoenix Theatre, Hale, Don Bluth, etc."

Zoni nominees Ron May and Austin Kiehle in The Year of the Rooster
Stray Cat Theatre
photo: John Groseclose
Ron May
Overall Production - Non-Contracted Play: Stray Cat Theatre  The Brothers Size
Director - Contracted Play: Actors Theatre  Seminar & Phoenix Theatre Buyer and Cellar
Director - Non-Contracted Play: Stray Cat Theatre  The Brothers Size  
Actor in a Major Role - Contracted Play: Phoenix Theatre  One Man, Two Guvnors 
Actor in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Play: Stray Cat Theatre  Year of the Rooster  
Sound Design - Non-Contracted Theatre: Stray Cat Theatre  The Brothers Size

"I found out because I was at the nomination reading. ZONIs are such a love ‘em or love to hate ‘em kind of thing. The awards themselves are 'whatever' but the idea behind it - a ceremony to celebrate everything locally and get everybody in one room for one night to just have a party is something I really dig. Whether Stray Cat gets a bunch of nominations or none. That kind of gathering just never happens otherwise. And there’s always such an electricity in the room that night. I dunno. I used to be really snarky about ‘em but the more I’ve gone, the more I just think they’re fun. I’ve been nominated before and won before. Of COURSE it feels good to win. But it’s not like anyone necessarily remembers it a week later. Or two hours later depending on how much you’ve had to drink."

Krystal Pope and David Nelson in The History of the Devil
Nearly Naked Theatre
photo: Laura Durant
David Nelson
Actor in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Play: Nearly Naked Theatre  The History of the Devil 

"I was actually in the gym when a friend texted me congratulations on my nomination. That was the first I had heard of it. I generally don't follow award ceremonies as I am not typically a person who looks for recognition. I like to show up, do my work (I should say our work, I had a great set of people to work with.) and, when the production is over, wash my hands and walk away so to speak. With that being said I was pleasantly surprised to hear of my nomination. This particular role took quite a bit out of me and I was never quite sure I had done it justice. I have never won a Zoni but I have been nominated in the past. I look forward to the celebration."

Aaron Potter
Actor in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Play: Ethington Theatre-GCU  Sherlock Holmes: The Final Adventure 

"I found out that I was nominated in a kind of backwards way. I was sitting at home, about to go to bed, when I got a text from a fellow GCU actor that simply said, 'Congrats!' My first thought was 'how sweet,' but then I realized that I actually had no idea what I was being congratulated for! I knew I must have done something, and it couldn't have be too bad if I was being praised for it. So, I figured that I should check Facebook, as it tends to stay in the loop a little bit better than myself. After checking the GCU theatre page I found that our scenic designer, Bill Symington, had posted a list of all the Zoni nominees for the 2014-2015 season. After seeing my name on the list, which did not consist of many other students, but rather, professional performers and designers, I was utterly humbled. This is not only my first Zoni nomination, but also my first real award nomination for acting, ever. It's a wonderful feeling to be recognized for the hard work that we do as actors. Most of us are even incredibly loathe to admit that we may be half decent at this thing, but if I've taken anything away from my few short days of being a new nominee it's that independent of all of the congratulatory remarks and high fives, it's a great comfort to know that what I'm doing is being seen, that it matters, and that I'm going in the right direction."

Mason Reeves
Actor in a Supporting Role - Youth Musical: Desert Foothills Youth Theater  Hairspray

"When I heard about my Zoni nomination I was hanging out on the rooftop of the Valley Ho with some good friends of mine in Scottsdale! As this was only the second time I've been nominated, my reaction was a little over-enthusiastic and I began to jump for joy. Anyone who has been nominated or appreciated for doing what they love can attest to the sheer happiness that comes with that. I especially love that it was for the role of Seaweed in Hairspray, which I have been waiting to play for a very long time, regardless of whether I win the award or not, the enjoyment and recognition have been more than enough!"

Brian Robertson in Moonprince
East Valley Children's Theatre
photo: Penrod Photography
Brian Robertson
Actor in a Major Role - Youth Play: East Valley Children’s Theatre  Moonprince 

"I found out about the nomination at work by a close friend of mine, Tyler Briggs. I remember feeling the same emotions as I felt last year when I was nominated for Best Male actor in a Youth Play and Youth Musical. Excitement, overjoyed and thankful. Sure, it's another nomination but the feeling and reaction doesn't change. Everything you put into a role is recognized and you as the actor feel amazing and grateful. There is nothing like a Zoni Nomination and or award."

Michael Schulz
Actor in a Major Role - Youth Musical: Spotlight Youth Theatre  Annie Get Your Gun
Actor in a Supporting Role - Youth Musical Spotlight Youth Theatre  Rent

"When I heard about my Zoni nominations, I was with my friends, Ali Whitwell and Mason Reeves (both also nominees). It felt really good to be recognized for two of my favorite roles! It also really prompted me to look back and reflect on how much fun both of those characters were to play."

Jesse Kamps and Allison Sell in Uncle Vanya
Southwest Shakespeare Company
photo: Mark Gluckman
Allison Sell
Actress in a Major Role - Contracted Play: Southwest Shakespeare Company  As You Like It &  King Lear
Actress in a Supporting Role - Contracted Play: Southwest Shakespeare Company  Uncle Vanya

"I was fortunate enough to be working  on my next project - Hysteria, Southwest Shakespeare Company's season opener - when I received text messages from a friend at the reading of the nominations.   I was previously nominated for Supporting Actress in a Contract Play for the last two years, including a win for The Taming of the Shrew last year. As flattering as it can be to be nominated, I always find it awkward.  I would have been unable to work to my potential without the creativity, support, and vision of the teams of designers, crew, directors, and fellow artists that I was fortunate enough to work with last year. I'm not walking out there to do a one-woman show that I have designed, produced and directed.  Each and every time I am afforded the privilege to walk onstage, it is because of the tireless efforts of other artists who work just as hard as I do, and I hope I am honoring their work as well."

Jessica Sinodis
Actress in a Major Role - Youth Musical: Studio 3 Performing Arts Academy  The Addams Family

"When I found out about my AriZoni nomination I had just finished my performance at the NYAS and Connor Brigola, my 'Gomez,' who is one of my really good friends, ran up to me and told me both him and I were nominated and I was so unbelievably in shock! I had never expected to be nominated and so when I learned I had been I was completely over joyed! I had never been nominated for an AriZoni for an individual role so to be nominated for my portrayal as Morticia Addams, one of my favorite roles, was such an honor!"

Zoni nominee Jeannie Shubitz in End of the Rainbow
featuring Terre Steed's hair and make-up designs
Phoenix Theatre
photo: 
Terre Steed
Hair and Makeup Design - Contracted Play: Phoenix Theatre  End of the Rainbow & Phoenix Theatre  Shear Madness 

"I was at home watching Dynasty on Netflix. My friend KatiBell posted on my Facebook wall that I'd been nominated. And honestly, I was a bit shocked. I had only worked on two shows this season, and it just never entered my mind that I would be nominated, let alone for both of them. I had just spaced it out. I am the Susan Lucci of the Phoenix theatrical community, apparently. At least that's what I have been dubbed. The La Lucci torch has been passed around for a while. My friend Johanna Carlisle was the Lucci for YEARS and then she passed the torch to Yolanda London who then LITERALLY passed the torch to me two years ago as she walked off stage after accepting her second Zoni of the night. She walked off stage and mimed the passing of the torch as she passed me in the wings of the TCA. I almost laughed out loud. I've been nominated for the hair and makeup design Zoni at LEAST 10 times (more like 16, I think) and never won. One year I was even 2 of the 5 nominees (like this year). Honestly it is exciting and an honor to be nominated. But after so many years and so many many nominations, it's almost become a bit of a joke among my friends and colleagues in the theatre community. Every time I'm nominated there is always a flurry of texts and posts saying "this year is your year" and someone even posted on my wall that it was a 'TRAVESTY' that I have yet to win one. It makes me smile to think that there are so many artists who support and respect my work in the theatre community. And THAT means more to me than ANY award."

Cole Brackney and Neda Tavassoli in Pluto
Stray Cat Theatre
photo: John Groseclose
Neda Tavassoli
Actress in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Play: Stray Cat Theatre  Pluto 

"I was just lounging on my couch at home.  I had forgotten that the nominations would be that night, but Ron May made sure we all new who represented Stray Cat at these awards.  That was very kind and even motherly of him.  When I found out I was nominated for Best Actress in a non-contracted play, I honestly thought, 'Oh.  What do I do now?' I had heard about the Zonis almost all of my acting career in Arizona.  I had attended one way back for a friend.  I didn't remember much, except that the friend forgot to thank her parents.  I made a mental note of that.  And yes, it is very nice to be recognized for your work.  I just keep in mind that those who helped me along the way deserve a big nod of recognition as well."

Ava Tyson
Actress in a Supporting Role - Youth Play: Musical Theatre of Anthem  The Diary of Anne Frank 

"I was in my room, about ready to go to sleep when my mom had noticed the Zoni nominations had been posted. She ran back to my room telling me that I had gotten an ariZoni nomination for my role as Margot in The Diary of Anne Frank. I felt so much joy when I found out, especially because both of my two nominations I've received had come from straight plays, not what I usually pursue but I have fallen in love with them all thanks to the hard work done by the talented director of those shows, Laura O'Meara. To be recognized for my work means the world to me and I can hardly believe it, because I am still so young. I am so thankful."

Joshua Vern
Actor in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Play: Scottsdale Community Players  The Wallace and Ladmo Show
Actor in a Supporting Role - Non-Contracted Musical: Theater Works  Follies

"I'm terrible at accepting compliments. I was in rehearsal for Crimes of the Heart at the Theatre Artists Studio. I had my phone silenced, just in case. I felt like this had been a really good season for myself, and for a lot of my close friends. I mean, I had a lot of once-in-a-lifetime opportunities this season. There were only a few people at the rehearsal-- It's a small cast-- and I'm not exactly a social butterfly, so when I found out, I contained my enthusiasm pretty well. But really-- It's an amazing feeling. I'm turning twenty three this month, and to have this kind of recognition-- I already have two awards, plus two nominations from previous seasons, two from this season-- I don't even know how to process it. I get so excited that I just shut down."

Annalise Webb and James D. Gish in
Hale Center Theatre's My Fair Lady
photo: Nick Woodward-Shaw
Annalise Webb
Actress in a Major Role - Non-Contracted Musical: Hale Centre Theatre  My Fair Lady 

I found out about my nomination online on Monday evening. After seeing a post on Facebook from another nominee, I quickly went to www.arizoniawards.com to see the nominations for myself. After all, I have A LOT of theatre friends and come on, we've all been waiting for this, right? What I didn't anticipate were all 16 nominations for our production of My Fair Lady. I mean I know how fantastic the production was--and what a blessing it was for me to be a part of it--but it was phenomenal to see the recognition from the ariZoni committee. I was of course excited about my first Zoni nomination, but I was even more excited for the collective nominations that we received. Everyone worked hard, no question, but we also had such fun doing what we love! I have unending gratitude in my heart for the experiences I had with the cast, crew, and patrons that came to see My Fair Lady at Hale Centre Theatre.


No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.