Tuesday, August 25, 2015

PHX Stages Q/A with the three leads of Valley Youth Theatre's JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT

By Gil Benbrook

Valley Youth Theatre's production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat opened on the Herberger stage two weeks ago, earning rave reviews and high praise for the shows three leads. Nathan Sheppard who plays Joseph, Payton Bioletto who is the Narrator and Jack Rose who plays the Pharoah, all sat down to answer some questions exclusively for PHX Stages:

Nathan Sheppard and the cast
Nathan Sheppard

Your name and the character you play in Joseph?
My name is Nathan Sheppard and I play Joseph in Valley Youth Theater's production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

How old are you?
I am seventeen years old.

What school do you attend?
I go to Sandra Day O'Connor High School.

What is your favorite show? Musical? Play?
My favorite show of all time is a tie between the musical Rent, or Les Miserables.

Have you ever been cast in it?
Just recently I got the amazing opportunity to perform in Les Mis at the Musical Theater of Anthem as one of my all time dream roles, Marius! That experience was definitely an unforgettable one.

What is your DREAM role?
My biggest dream role is definitely Pippin in Pippin the musical. I am absolutely in love with the score of that show, specifically the songs and verses that Pippin sings.

Have you ever played a part in a Joseph production before? Have you ever played this part before?
I have never been in a production of Joseph before, but I did happen to catch it at ASU Gammage when the national tour came to perform.

What if any type of research did you do for your role?
Being raised in the Christian religion, I've known about the story of Joseph and his eleven brothers since the age of six. In preparation for this role, I took a stroll down memory lane and revisited the incredibly famous story of Joseph and his coat to get a sense of who and what Joseph was. After watching the Donny Osmond movie, and countless high school, community and professional theater adaptations, I finally started to get a sense of how I was going to portray Joseph on the Herberger stage. To me it's important to find your own character and be an original, rather than try to make a carbon copy of another performer. Although I spent loads of time researching the history of Joseph, how I portrayed him was ultimately my choice as an actor.

How many hours did you spend practicing your role outside of rehearsal? 
Oh man, tons of hours. It's important as an actor to know your material well so it' second nature on stage. You can then focus on what your character would do, rather than "Uh oh whats my next line". I came home most days and would just run through the show musically to make sure I had a good sense of rhythm and pitch.

What was the rehearsal process like?
The rehearsal process though strenuous and tough, was incredibly professional and not to mention just a blast. Rehearsal times were Monday-Thursday 4-10 and 11-6 on Saturdays. From 4-5 and 11-12 we actually spent time doing a dance workshop led by our wonderful choreographer Lucas Coatney. We spent an hour every day stretching to make sure our bodies were limber enough, and working out to make sure our stamina was high. When doing a show as energy sucking as Joseph is, it's important that everyone of the actors have high stamina to keep up with these crazy dance numbers. Eventually, we found ourselves finally rehearsing at the Herberger itself. through hours and hours of spacing and tech elements the show finally began to come together and we began to get a sense of how this thing ran.

When did you start rehearsing? 
Well actually for me, I started about two weeks after the rest of the cast did. Through auditions, Valley Youth Theater still couldn't find a Joseph that was the right height and still fit the character. Someone actually messaged me and told me about the opportunity, and the next day I was at VYT auditioning for the role. After my audition I was offered the role, and  rehearsal began the next day!

What is it like to perform the Mega Mix part at the end of the show? It must take a lot to keep going?
The Mega Mix is an absolute blast to participate in. Joseph doesn't really get a lot of dancing time in the show, so to come out at the end and dance with the cast was wonderful. (Even though I don't dance half as much as the other actors in the show) The minute we come offstage from the Mega Mix, everyone is out of breath and sweating because of it's length and intensity! It again just makes me thankful that we had the opportunity to strengthen our bodies daily!

Have you worked with VYT before? 
This is the first show/class I have ever been a part of at Valley Youth Theater, but their professional and family environment will keep me coming back to perform more and more!

Where have you performed and in what shows/parts/characters?
I have performed mainly at my high school, Sandra Day O'Connor. Some roles include Ren in Footloose, Jack in Into the Woods, Troy Bolton in High School Musical, Emmett and Warner in Legally Blonde Jr. and Kenickie in Grease. VYT and Musical Theatre of Anthem are the first community theaters I became a part of.

Nathan Sheppard
What is your favorite moment in Joseph that you are a part of?
Joseph is so much fun all the way through, but my favorite part of the show is the song “Close Every Door”. The emotion and passion that lies behind that song is incredible, and every night I am so honored to perform it. A close second is the Mega Mix, due to its high energy and fun choreography. But overall, the entire show is just so much fun to perform.

What is your favorite moment of the show that you are not a part of?
My favorite moment that I’m not technically apart of (even thought I am on stage) is the Pharaoh's song “Song of the King”. Jack brings so much fun energy as Elvis, and I love seeing the audience react the way they do every night!

Joseph is a very fun, upbeat show, but also has some lessons within the story. What do you think is the most important message of the show?
To me, the most important message in Joseph is the choice of love and compassion over spiteful revenge. In the end, Joseph has the option to either help his brothers and their starvation, or turn them away and let them go hungry. Even though all eleven of his brothers betrayed him, Joseph still decided to choose love over his revenge. I think we all can learn a lot from Joseph’s choice, as many times this option is given to us.

What do you hope audience members will take away from seeing the show?
I hope each and every audience member walks out dancing and singing these insanely catchy energetic songs. I also hope the audience learns from this story, and can take bits from the show and apply it to their own life and situation!

What makes Valley Youth Theatre unique when compared to the other companies in town?
The thing that makes Valley Youth Theater so unique, is the fact that the environment remains very professional, but the experience is still an absolute blast the whole way through. The bond that I have made with the production staff and cast alike will forever stay with me, and the memories I have made here, I will take with me forever.

What other shows might we see you in coming up? 
I am currently planning on auditioning for Heathers the Musical at Greasepaint Youth Theater, as well as returning to VYT next summer to perform in The Little Mermaid! I also plan to audition for Spotlights “Pitches and Tones”.

Paytol Bioletto and the youth ensemble
Payton Bioletto

Your name and the character you play in Joseph?
My name is Payton Bioletto and I play the role of the Narrator in Joseph and the Amazing
Technicolor Dreamcoat!

How old are you?
I am 15 years old

What school do you attend?
I am a junior at Xavier College Preparatory

What is your favorite show? Musical? Play?
I have many favorite musicals some of them including: Pinkalicious, In the Heights, Rent, A
Chorus Line, Spring Awakening, Seussical the Musical, Heathers, Annie and The Addams
Family!

Have you ever been cast in it?
I have been cast in Pinkalicious, Rent, A Chorus Line, Seussical the Musical and Annie!

What is your DREAM role?
One of my dream roles was actually to play the Narrator in Joseph! Some of my dream roles are
Eponine in Les Mis, Elphaba in Wicked, Wendla Bergmann in Spring Awakening and Veronica
Sawyer in Heathers!

Have you ever played a part in a Joseph production before? Have you ever played this part
before?
No! This is my first time being in this show and it is a ton of fun! I really enjoy it!

What if any type of research did you do for your role?
For my role, I didn't do too much research. I feel that the narrator is developed by the actress
who plays her part. I spent a lot of time developing my character and deciding what role she
actually plays in the story. I like to think of the narrator as the glue who keeps the show
together. She cares for Joseph as a friend and compels the audience by telling his story. She is
vulnerable but welcoming. The story of Joseph is the most important story she has ever told and
it is very near and dear to her heart. Sometimes she can also act as a teacher, especially to the
children's chorus.

How many hours did you spend practicing your role outside of rehearsal?
The narrator has a lot of singing lines to memorize and that did take time. Most of my lines,
since they are all to music, just came when we learned the blocking to all of the musical
numbers. Character development took the majority of my time. Maybe an hour every day before
and after rehearsal!

What was the rehearsal process like?
The rehearsal process was very fun for me! Most of my time was spent looking at my music
because the narrator has minimal movement compared to the other cast members in the show. I
think that's one of the best parts of this show for me. I am so used to singing and dancing for the
majority of the shows I've been in, so for this show I was forced to spend more time on my
character and my acting which really helped me to grow as an actress!

When did you start rehearsing?
We started to first rehearse in the beginning of July!

What is it like to perform the Mega Mix part at the end of the show? It must take a lot to keep
going?
Yes! The Mega Mix is a basically a summary of the show, almost like a recap! Yes it can be
tiring, but that is all part of the process! We have to keep our energy up down to the very last
note and the very last dance step!

Have you worked with VYT before?
Yes! This is my 14th show with VYT! I started when I was 9 years old.

Have you taken Education classes with VYT? If so, how did they prepare you to perform?
When I first started with VYT, I was part of a program called Playmakers. We would rehearse for
about a semester and then put on a show! I did A Christmas Story, Annie and Dear Edwina!
This was really the beginning of my interest musical theater. I loved these classes more than
anything. They prepared me to perform by showing me a safe and loving environment where I
was free to express myself at a young age.

What VYT shows have you performed in and what parts have you played before?
I have been in many shows at VYT! Some of my favorites include: Gertrude in Seussical the
Musical, Pinkalicious in Pinkalicious the Musical and Francisca in West Side Story!

Where have you performed other than VYT and in what shows/parts/characters?
I have done shows at Spotlight Youth Theater and Xavier College Preparatory recently! I have
been a part of Rent as ensemble, A Chorus Line as Bebe and A Wedding Singer as Linda at
Spotlight. I have also done Peter Pan as an Indian and Jane , High School Musical as Sharpay
and Once on this Island as a storyteller at Xavier.

What is your favorite moment in Joseph that you are a part of?
My favorite part of Joseph to perform is Potiphar's song and I also like the part where Joseph
gets freed from being imprisoned! It's very hard because I really enjoy performing the whole
show!

What is your favorite moment of the show that you are not a part of?
I really like the song "Those Canaan Days" and the brothers do an amazing job in that song. They really get to showcase their talent!

Joseph is a very fun, upbeat show, but also has some lessons within the story. What do you
think is the most important message of the show?
There are many messages in Joseph. I personally think that the most important message is the
importance of forgiveness. It's sometimes very hard to choose forgiveness instead of revenge
but when Joseph was faced with the decision in the show, he made the correct choice of
forgiveness!

What do you hope audience members will take away from seeing the show?
I hope that the audiences see the importance of forgiveness. I also hope that audience sees
how much joy performing brings to the actors on stage. I hope it inspires people to do what they
love no matter what anyone says! I hope that people develop their passion and follow if
whatever path it leads them down.

What makes Valley Youth Theatre unique when compared to the other companies in town?
Valley Youth Theatre is very important to me. It made me realize what I want to do for the rest of
my life! VYT showed me my passion! Bobb gave me my start! Bobb gave me a chance and
continues to give me amazing opportunities where I am able to grow as an actress. Bobb puts
on amazing productions, but with that also comes life lessons. How to listen to and one another,
teamwork, HARD work, respect, time management and most importantly to love one another. I
have made my best friends through VYT. I wouldn't trade my experience there for anything! VYT
is my second home and it means more than anything in the world to me! Bobb has shown me
how to be an all around good person and I would encourage everyone to audition for shows
because it can truly be life changing.

What other shows might we see you in coming up?
Next I am planning to audition for Mary Poppins at Xavier College Preparatory! It should be an
awesome show!

Jack Rose and the ensemble
Jack Rose

Your name and the character you play in Joseph?
Hello I am Jack Rose, playing Pharaoh in Joseph.

How old are you?
Eighteen years old, yikes.

What school do you attend?
I am currently a senior at Brophy College Preparatory.

What is your favorite show? Musical? Play?
My favorite show of all time would definitely be The Rocky Horror Show, I remember being twelve and not knowing what I was watching, but enjoying it nonetheless.

Have you ever been cast in it?
Oh god I wish.

What is your DREAM role?
Grab me a pair of fishnets and some pearls, I want Dr. Frank'n'Furter.

Have you ever played a part in a Joseph production before? Have you ever played this part before?
This is my first time doing Joseph, I grew up listening to the cast recording with Donny Osmond in the car though. I haven't played this part before, I'm very lucky to have it under my belt now.

What if any type of research did you do for your role?
I already had a fascination in Elvis Presley, I'm a huge fan of his and any art centered around him, so I just had to kind of adopt the persona he put out on stage, magnify it times a thousand, then tailor it so that there is a little part of myself is also onstage, creating a unique acting experience.

Nathan Sheppard and Jack Rose
How many hours did you spend practicing your role outside of rehearsal? 
Many hours and many strange looks from everyone. I'm constantly doing impressions, whether it's Kermit the Frog, Elvis, Stewie from Family Guy, Terminator, or just throwing accents on words because I think it's funny, so making myself act like the king himself was a great experience for me, whenever I found a mirror I would swing my hips and pop them out a bit, shake my butt, and see what I could do better, funnier.

What was the rehearsal process like?
It was hard work, I had to learn very quickly. Granted I wasn't called as much as the ensemble, I still took the dance classes and learned the music, it was all very rewarding. A new experience.

When did you start rehearsing? 
Midway through summer, Payton, the narrator, sent me a text saying I should audition, I left work early and warmed up in the car, got the part, and started just days later.

What is it like to perform the Mega Mix part at the end of the show? It must take a lot to keep going?
The Mega Mix is so much fun, in my opinion it's a celebration of a successful show, a final blow to take it all home. I can't speak for the cast in terms of endurance because I just shake my can and look pretty on stage;) but I know that the energy on stage is contagious, and that the blood gets pumping and from there it's just go, go, go. (No pun intended).

Have you worked with VYT before? 
This is my first show with VYT

Where else have you performed and in what shows/parts/characters?
I played Edna Turnblad in Hairspray at Greasepaint last December, which was incredible. I have done a lot of work with Brophy and Xavier and their respective theater departments, most recently I played Reverend Shaw Moore in Brophy's Footloose production.

What is your favorite moment in Joseph that you are a part of?
Playing with the crowd and interacting with audience members, I love making people laugh.

What is your favorite moment of the show that you are not a part of?
The Calypso is such a fun song, I would've loved to be on stage to join in.

Joseph is a very fun, upbeat show, but also has some lessons within the story. What do you think is the most important message of the show?
The most important message I took away from this show was forgiveness, I mean if you can't forgive them you can't move on, and in Joseph that is taken to the extreme, it's a great example and message to send out to the world.

What do you hope audience members will take away from seeing the show?
Good memories, something they can think about and laugh or admire, I just want an impression made and I want it to be positive.

What makes Valley Youth Theatre unique when compared to the other companies in town?
Professionalism. And very high energy, it's fantastic.

What other shows might we see you in coming up? 
Hopefully I can snag a role in Greasepaint's Producers, we'll see.

For more information on this production, that ends this weekend, click here.

photos: Barry Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.