Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A conversation with the director of CHARLEY'S AUNT, Cheryl Schaar

by Gil Benbrook

Actress and director Cheryl Schaar has appeared at many theatre companies across the Valley. Tonight Charley's Aunt, that she directed, opens at Don Bluth Front Row Theatre in Scottsdale. Cheryl took a break from rehearsals to sit down and answer some questions exclusively for PHX Stages readers about the production, her theatrical experience and the fact that she is the first female director at Don Bluth Front Row Theatre.

Charley’s Aunt isn’t a play that is produced very regularly, so for those who don’t know the play, can you tell us what it is about?

Charley’s Aunt is a hilarious British farce that was written by Brandon Thomas in 1892. It has been and still is internationally performed on stage and was also made into a film. In a nutshell …and I mean nutshell, because this is a crazy fun show. Jack Chesney, soon to be Oxford graduate, is in love with Kitty Verdun. Charles Wykeham, also soon to be an Oxford graduate, is in love with Amy Spettigue. The girls have been invited to lunch to meet Charley’s wealthy aunt from Brazil. When the aunt is delayed, the boys, unwilling to miss the opportunity to spend time with the girls they love since the period required a chaperone to be present, persuade their friend Lord Fancourt Babberly to pretend to be the aunt.  Comedy ensues.

Philip McConnell
photo: Lori Kunzelman
What do you hope audiences will take away from the show?

"Well, Don Bluth tells a story he once heard from Lillian Gish….yes THE Lillian Gish…
She said… 'when you go to a play or a movie, or any artistic endeavor… your molecules are being rearranged. While you’re watching the play or movie or whatever, you are being changed inside. You can be inspired, educated, uplifted, or made more thoughtful or appreciative.  Bottom line, you are changed somehow and usually for the better.'

There is no deep underlining meaning in this play,…it’s a British Farce so it’s just a silly joyful romp  about the oft times difficult path to true love during a period in time that had extremely strict rules regarding love and courtship…  They say that laughter is the best medicine and this play is purely designed to make you laugh. I hope the audience takes away the delicious feeling you get from enjoying a good hearty laugh and know their molecules have been rearranged for the good!"

This play requires a bit of cross dressing and mistaken identity. Tell us about the cast you’ve assembled to pull off the hilarity.

"I just love any man who is not afraid to dress up like a girl. I always have. That guy just exudes confidence in my book. I have been lucky to get such a guy to be our cross dressing Lord Fancourt Babberly/Charley’s Aunt. He is Philip McConnell and he is hilarious.  Watching him learn how to flirt using a fan will always be a cherished memory for me. His fellow chums at Oxford are Jack Chesney, played by Randy Rice and Charles Wykeham played by Van Rockwell. Both these seasoned performers play their parts brilliantly. Energy and accents are flying fast and furious as they move from one absurd predicament to another. Peter Cunniff and C.D. Macaulay play our two dashing older gentlemen… both of whom are seeking  the hand of the lovely Donna Lucia d’Alvadorez aka Charley’s Aunt.  These two are pure joy to watch. Their command of the stage makes my job as their director so easy. Peter was recently nominated for a Zoni for his role as Col. Pickering in Hale Center Theatre’s production of My Fair Lady.

The actual Donna Lucia d’Alvadorez/Charley’s Aunt is beautifully and elegantly played by Jaimie Sofia. Her classic beauty and style contrasted with Phillip’s portrayal of her is just ridiculous fun. She will captivate you. Our beautiful, younger ladies, and our boys love interests, are played to perfection by Hillary Low, Jori Mosier and Erica Parrish. Oh the 1890's were difficult times for young women, especially as far as romance was concerned. They were not even permitted to be in a room with a young man if there was not a chaperone present.  Thank goodness for Charley’s Aunt!

Randy Rice and Van Rockwell
photo: Lori Kunzelman
Lastly but certainly not least is Jack Chesney’s manservant Brassett, dutifully played by the comic genius Neil Switzter.  Neil’s deadpan delivery never fails to make me laugh… and I have seen him deliver his lines many many times!  I have been so fortunate to gather together this group of incredibly talented people. I cannot wait to share them with the theatre going audience."

In true “the show must go on” fashion, you’ve had some cast changes happen before and even during rehearsals. I know they were due to schedule conflicts as well as work injuries but can you tell us briefly about how you drew upon the theatre community in the Valley to help you quickly find replacements and how that has impacted the rehearsal process?

"Before rehearsals started I was in Florida visiting family when I found out I had to re-cast two parts. After finding out that none of my “go to” guys were available, I contacted some amazing director friends of mine, and they directed me to you and your PHX Stages site! You got back to me that very day and were able to quickly send out an emergency casting notice.  Almost immediately I was getting emails from actors. They sent me auditions via their phones and voila…I was able to recast the parts while in Florida and all thanks to you Gil! Rehearsals went pretty well, then one of the actors suffered a serious concussion at work and of course could not continue on in the role. Diane Senffner, who is our dialect coach, immediately thought of Van Rockwell to take over the role. All this recasting had an amazing effect on the cast. They pulled together and supported each other even more. They had greater focus and determination.  We all wanted to kiss Van as he walked into his first rehearsal with us."

Hillary Low, Philip McConnell and Jori Mosier
photo: Lori Kunzelman
Well I'm glad that I was able to help Cheryl!  Have you learned anything during rehearsals that made you change your original ideas of how to direct this play?

"Of course I see the play in my head before rehearsal begins, but when I am actually directing, the whole rehearsal period is a relearning, collaborative creative time for me...  I am completely open to new ideas that pop into my head that could improve the play. My actors are inspiring me constantly with their abilities. I think you need to trust yourself that the perfect solution to an acting, blocking or any type of problem will come to you and that you mustn’t settle until it does. I don’t know why it is, but I am comfortable being uncomfortable with a stage problem that must be solved. It is just fun, and working with wonderful actors who like to play too…well it just doesn’t get better than that.

Tell us a little about your past acting and directing experience.

"I have always loved the theatre, ever since I was a little girl. I summoned the nerve to sign up for Drama in the 7th grade and then proceeded to sit at the back of the class, afraid to do anything. Small assignments I anguished over and presenting my scenes was agony for me.  Time came for the teacher to announce who was cast in our year end play, The Mouse that Roared… the teacher said the part of Queen Glorianna goes to Cheryl Morgan, my maiden name. I had been much more the mouse than a Queen that whole school year.  The whole class looked around as if to say…WHO?? I was just as surprised. Mr. Davis later took me aside and in true great teacher fashion said to me…. 'You can do this. There is more in you than you know.'  He saw something in me that no one else ever had.  Well that’s all anybody needs, right? Thank you Mr. Davis for believing in me.

My day job during the past 15 years has been as a Drama/Improv teacher at a charter school in Chandler. I found that I loved directing. I have always been a bit bossy I guess. Just ask my three brothers. Ha! Anyway, during that time my two daughters and I also started our own youth theatre troupe called Into Theatre. We had so much fun working together and sharing our love of the theatre with young people during our summer theatre camp and our annual “It’s a Charlie Brown Christmas” benefit for homeless children.  After 7 years though, we were all busy in other theatrical pursuits. It was a great time with my girls that I will always cherish.

My youngest daughter Amanda Schaar is an actress and playwright, currently living in San Diego. She and an incredible group of actors recently formed a new theatre called New Fortune Theatre Company where she is the managing director.  Molly Schaar Idle, my oldest daughter is a very popular children’s  book author and illustrator. Her book “Flora and the Flamingo” won a Caldecott Honor in 2014. For those who don’t know, that is the academy award in the children’s book publishing world. The Caldecott goes to the very best illustrator and the Newberry goes to the best children’s writer.  She is one talented and very busy lady… Yeah… I’m pretty proud of both of them.
.
So, in between teaching and directing, I managed to get some stage work over at Southwest Shakespeare, I was in The Comedy of Errors, The Importance of Being Ernest and Richard III. What  wonderful experiences those were.  The past ten years I have been working mostly in the east valley. I have worked with the Hale Center Theatre in Harvey and The Man Who Came to Dinner, Mesa Encore Theatre in 39 Steps and of course the Don Bluth Front Row theatre.

Peter Cunniff and Randy Rice
photo: Lori Kunzelman
The first time I auditioned for Don was for his production of Blithe Spirit.  I actually thought he didn’t care for me, because I was only a little way into the side, when he said…”I’ve seen enough. Thank you”.  Roger McKay was reading with me and we were zipping along beautifully  I thought.  Well in true Don Bluth fashion, he didn’t waste much time. He had already cast me in his mind and told me so the next day.

That was as they say, the beginning of a beautiful friendship. I have been working on and off with Don and his wonderful theatre for about the past four years. During that time I have performed in Barefoot in the Park (twice),  Blithe Spirit, The Sound of Music, Guys and Dolls, It’s a Wonderful Life, God’s Favorite and Arsenic and Old Lace.


Why did you choose this particular play to direct?

"Don actually chose me to direct. Don was crazy busy directing all the time. Happily the theatre began growing which placed more demands on him all the time. He began looking for potential guest directors to ease the demands he was constantly under. I had previously told him that I had directing experience. He filed that little piece of information away and when the right play came along, he asked me if I would like to direct….Did I hesitate? NO!!! I think he felt I would be a good match to direct Charley’s Aunt.  I am very familiar with British plays and especially British farce. I love Noel Coward, Oscar Wilde and now Brandon Thomas… and Monty Python! It was serendipity that this play came along as Don was looking for a director and I was looking to direct. I am one happy girl.

You are the first female director at Don Bluth Front Row Theatre. Tell us a little bit of what that means to you.

"I knew I could do the job. I think Don knew I could do the job. If I do a good job, then maybe I’ll be invited to direct again sometime. If I don’t, then I won’t be. I don’t think either of us even gave it a thought that I was female. I hope not anyway. It’s the work. I am so honored to be given the chance to watch and learn and work with Don Bluth."

Randy Rice and Philip McConnell
photo: Lori Kunzelman
The theatre at Don Bluth is very intimate, with a thrust stage that has the audience surrounding the stage on three sides. How did the arrangement of the space limit or expand your directorial choices?

"I would say the space both limits and expands choices. We have a very small space, which means everything must be carefully considered for maximum audience sightline. Once the play is blocked so that the audience has a good view of almost all the action, we need to make it seem natural and as real as possible. Now all though we are limited in space, this actually opens itself up to a very intimate and unique theatre experience for the audience. Time and time again audience members have told me how they felt like a “fly on the wall” watching the play. They felt like they were in the play, just watching from the edges of our living room. How cool is that! I want to continue to make the audience feel as if they are all but participating in the action on stage. Then once again they will leave the theatre with their molecules rearranged."

You’ve acted at many theatres across the Valley. What makes Don Bluth Front Row Theatre unique when compared to the other companies in town?

"Well Don Bluth for one!  You don’t get that chance every day. The intimate living room quality his theatre offers sets it apart. Every seat is perfect. You feel like you are actually in his living room.
 This intimate space gives actors a chance to hone their skills and really feel the audiences’ reaction.  It gives the audience an intimate experience they can’t get in a larger space. I love any stage…let’s face it… all the worlds a stage… where have I heard that before? Actors and audiences alike should enjoy all of them.  I for one am thoroughly enjoying my time at The Don Bluth Front Row Theatre."

1 comment:

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.