Friday, November 5, 2021

Talking to Actress Johanna Carlisle-Zepeda about her roles in THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW and ¡AMERICANO! at The Phoenix Theatre Company

Johanna Carlisle-Zepeda (seated, center) and the cast of The Rocky Horror Show
photo by Reg Madison Photography

by Gil Benbrook

Equally adept at both drama and comic musical roles, native Arizonian Johanna Carlisle-Zepeda has appeared in dozens of shows in theatres across the Valley, and a woman that seems to never stop working.

She has played some of the most beloved major comical or villainous musical roles on stage in town, including Miss Hannigan, Madame Thernardier, and Yente, the matchmaker, while also tackling intense dramatic characters in both musicals and plays, such as Diana in Next to Normal, Mary in The Whale, and Mrs. Johnstone in Blood Brothers.

She's appeared at the Phoenix Theatre Company in dozens of roles, including the dual role of the wicked Mayor and the lovable mom in The Toxic Avenger, the evil Miss Andrew in Mary Poppins, the bawdy Celia in Calendar Girls, and the warm-hearted Abuela Claudia in In The Heights. In early 2020, she created the role of Felicita Valdovinos in the world premiere musical production of ¡Americano!. a role she's re-creating for the New York City workshop production of the show.

She's currently playing both Eddie and Dr. Scott in The Rocky Horror Show at Phoenix Theatre, roles she also performed in Nearly Naked Theatre's 2008 production of the musical, and Johanna sat down to answer some questions about the show and the roles she plays.

I have to imagine that just about everyone has heard about The Rocky Horror Show but for those who haven't, what would you tell them it's about? 

"A newly engaged couple get a flat tire on a rainy November evening. They come across a castle and what ensues is the stuff of a classic B movies. This tale is told with a sexy mix of love, hate, Frankenstein, sci-fi and a message of finding your true self. "

Do you remember what your first experience was with either the show or the film? 

"Friday, September 4th, 1981 - I experienced The Rocky Horror Picture Show with my high school friend, Erin Feeney. I was a virgin and she decked me out. We took lighter, spray bottles, rice, toast, confetti, toilet paper and Hostess Ding Dongs. We threw those during 'Planet Schmanet' when the bell rings (ding dong) at Camelview Theater in Scottsdale. This experience led to an addiction like no other. I was involved with Rocky at numerous theaters in Arizona and Iowa. I have seen the movie so many times in English and Spanish I have lost count and I am proud to be a part of its history!"

In the show you play two roles, both of which are male. Is this the first time you've played roles in drag like this? 

"LOL, nope! My first time in male drag I was 17 playing Scrooge with Phoenix Children's Theater. It was an amazing opportunity because the board voted to allow me to do it and the president Sandra Knudson rallied for me and we won! I have played Eddie and Dr. Scott in two other productions of Rocky, and played male characters in productions of Devil Boys from Beyond and Time Square Angel."

What can you tell us about the two roles you play, Eddie and Dr. Scott?  

"Well, I don't want to give anything away, but I will say for being from the same tree they are very different branches."  

What is your favorite moment in the show, and why is it your favorite?  

"Hearing Šime Košta sing 'I'm Going Home' every night is just epic. He is such an amazing Frank-N-Furter. The roar of the crowd afterwards is EVERYTHING!"

This is a show that, like the movie, gets a lot of audience reaction. What has been either the most shocking or hilarious thing an audience member has said so far in a performance? 

"The shocking stuff we see is too risqué to say, but the most hilarious moment was when Frank-N-Furter was singing 'I'm Going Home' and an audience member got up and walked out. Sime, without missing a beat, said 'where are YOU going?' then belted out 'HOOOOOME.'  He is so good with replies to callouts as is Cullen Law, the show’s narrator. He has some great quips to some of our dirtier callouts."

You've appeared in dozens of shows in numerous theatres around town but it really seems like The Phoenix Theatre Company is your home. What is it about The Phoenix Theatre Company that keeps you coming back to perform there? 

"As a child actor in town, my goal was to perform at the then Phoenix Little Theater. Then I worked with Michael Barnard right out of college. I learned so much working with him and Jerry Wayne Harkey. When I did my first show at The Phoenix Theatre Company with Michael directing and Alan Ruch as Musical Director, I felt the family around me, and what a family we are. Totally dysfunctional, immensely talented and there for each other. Not just the actors but also my Front of House team and the patrons, many of whom I call my friends. I adore them all.

Johanna Carlisle-Zepeda in ¡Americano!
photo by Reg Madison Photography

You're about to head to NYC to reprise your role of Felicita Valdovinos for the staged reading of ¡Americano!. What can you tell us about the experience of being in that show? 

"It was a work of love over the years. To be a part of a developing theater piece is truly amazing and to have been a part of it from day one, when it was a TOTALLY different musical and story, has been humbling. I am honored that Michael trusted me with playing Felicitas. I am humbled to call the real Felicitas my friend and her son Tony is a true inspiration to the Latinx community, not just in Arizona but across the United States."

What do you hope audiences will take away from seeing The Rocky Horror Show at The Phoenix Theatre Company? 

"I hope they enjoy our zaniness and just have fun during their visit to the Castle. I also hope they see the joy and openness Director, Robbie Harper, has created and that as an audience, they give themselves over to absolute pleasure."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.