Thursday, October 7, 2021

Talking to Kate E. Cook about playing Guenevere in CAMELOT at the Phoenix Theatre Company

Kate E. Cook in Camelot 
photo by Reg Madison Photography

by Gil Benbrook

In Camelot at The Phoenix Theatre Company, Kate E. Cook is playing Guenevere, her third lead role at the oldest professional theatre company in Phoenix. She previously graced the Phoenix Theatre stages as two other well known female leads, playing Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors and Roxie in Chicago. In all three roles she was excellent, finding a way to bring both humor and heart to this trio of famous musical theatre roles.

While Cook currently lives in Seattle, this Phoenix native isn't a stranger to theatregoers in the Valley who have seen her not only in several other shows at Phoenix Theatre but also in several supporting parts at other theatres in town including numerous roles at the Hale Centre Theatre. And before those shows she also performed in youth theatres in town as well as in productions at Mesa High School. She's also an ariZoni Award winner. 

Cook took a few minutes in between performances to sit down and answer some questions about her role, what the theatre community in Seattle is like, this new version of this classic musical and why she keeps coming back to appear on stage at Phoenix Theatre.

Camelot is an incredibly well known musical but for someone who has never seen it or heard of it what would you tell them it's about?
 
"This updated version of Camelot is told by a band of traveling revelers. Within the story, an optimistic King Arthur hopes to create a kingdom built on honor and dignity. His ideals are tested when Queen Guenevere falls in love with Lancelot, and the fate of the kingdom hangs in the balance. 

While this version is abridged and paired down, you still get so much wrapped up in our show. Exciting group numbers, thoughtful storytelling, a love triangle...we've got it all! "

You play Guenevere. What can you tell us about her?
 
"Guenevere is a deceivingly difficult character to be play, particularly in our production. In simplicity, she is the Queen whom Arthur falls in love with. They create this bond and kinship, which is then tested when Lancelot arrives in Camelot to become a Knight of the Round Table. 

When I was first asked to play this role- I was honestly confused. She is traditionally played by a beautiful soprano ingenue- and nothing like I normally gravitate towards.  But when Michael Barnard expressed his vision for her, I knew I wanted to be a part of this production. Our Guenevere has a brassy strength and spirit that I LOVE. She is independent, feisty and complex. It is not often you get the chance to play a leading woman who gets to do it all- sing, dance, laugh, cry...

At the beginning of the show I am shot out of a cannon that doesn't stop until the end. And I wouldn't have it any other way. "

Did you do any research on the history or the other characters in the show to prepare for this production?

"I am about to sound like a terrible actor, but to be honest....no. In full transparency, I didn't know the show at all. I had heard some tunes before, like "What do the Simple Folk do?" and "Camelot". But other than that, I didn't know much. 

What I did know was that this small cast version took a different approach and our director(Michael Barnard) had a fresh take on the show. Of course I have seen some other iterations of the story of King Arthur, Camelot and Excalibur. But knowing that we were going in a brand new direction, especially with Guenevere, I didn't want to be bogged down with preconceived ideas of what these characters should be. It almost felt like going into a workshop for a new work, and I think that helped to create an entirely new world for these characters to live in. "

In this small cast version of Camelot you are the only woman on stage. What has that experience been like?

"Before rehearsals started I was a little nervous about this aspect. Being a female in theatre (or anywhere for that matter) is difficult. There are pressures and expectations that we feel that are magnified when you are the only woman onstage. In saying that, our cast is so amazing and supportive. And with quite a few intimate moments onstage, I had the two best scene partners (Toby Yatso and James D. Gish) who always made sure everyone felt comfortable and safe in the moment. 

Also, during the rehearsal process I was so lucky to have amazingly strong women around me. Our female stage management team (Sam Monson and Katherine Lang), our choreographer (Cydney Trent) and many others. They were that fierce energy I needed to exude through Guenevere. I never felt alone."

What is your favorite part in the show?

"This is such a hard question, because so much happens within the show. I would have to say getting to perform the number "Take Me to the Fair". While our production takes a more modern approach to the telling of this story, this song feels like a quintessential golden age musical number. It's fun, upbeat and I get to interact with so many of my brilliant cast mates. It's just a blast! It is also one of the last moments before the show takes a turn into a more serious tone. "

You are from Phoenix but moved to Seattle a few years ago. What can you tell us about the Seattle theatre community and what has your experience in shows there been like?
 
"Seattle has a wonderful theatre community, I have loved getting to work there. Seattle is a huge hub for New Works and playwrights, so it's very exciting to be around that energy. There is this constant push to ask more questions, try new things and explore new thoughts. I think it is really important for artists to go to new places and meet new people from other theatres and artist communities. We can very easily become single minded in our view of the arts, ourselves as artists and what we deem as success. But when we step into another world, you learn more about yourself and what you value. "

Kate E. Cook in Chicago
photo by Erin Evangeline Photography

This isn't the first time you've come back to Phoenix to appear in a production at The Phoenix Theatre Company. What keeps you coming back to appear on stage there?

"The Phoenix Theatre Company feels like home. I grew up seeing shows here, my first regional contract was at Phoenix Theatre, and so many of my closest friends I met here. I always have a great experience working with this company, and I am so grateful for the opportunities I have had. Some of my most challenging roles have been on this stage, and I have grown and learned immensely from them. As a performer, I want to be challenged. I want to be a better version of me by the time the show closes, and that always happens here. "

What do you hope audiences will take from seeing Camelot at The Phoenix Theatre Company?
 
"I have two things I hope for. I want audiences to leave feeling inspired and hopeful. While there is a lot of tragedy within our story, there is so much optimism specifically from King Arthur. This story is centuries old, but there are so many aspects that feel relevant in our world. One of the most impactful lines in the show, I believe, is 'Compassion is not weakness'. Simple. 

I also hope that audiences can truly come to the theatre, leave their worries and stresses of the day outside and just enjoy escaping with us to Camelot. The world is odd and tumultuous right now. We were forced to go about our lives without theatre for so long and it was hard. For actors, directors, audiences, crew, wardrobe....we all lost something that is a part of us. I hope every audience member truly just enjoys 2 hours of beautiful music, thoughtful storytelling and pure joy. "

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.