Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Talking to Debra K. Stevens about BECOMING DR. RUTH

Debra K, Stevens
photo by Reg Madison Photography

by Gil Benbrook

Dr. Ruth Westheimer became a household name in the 1980s due to her radio and TV shows where she spoke frankly about sex. While her extremely candid and no-holds-barred talk about some of the most intimate sexual things sometimes made people embarrassed, her warm personality and her little childlike giggle, combined with her sense of compassion, put people at ease. 

What many people didn’t know, and some still don’t, is that there was much more to the story as to how this young Jewish woman, who was born in 1928 Germany, grew up to become a famous sex expert. That story is the steady foundation of Becoming Dr. Ruth, Mark St. Germain’s one woman show that has been performed in numerous cities across the US, and that opens this week at The Phoenix Theatre Company staring well-known local actress Debra K. Stevens in the title role. 

Before final rehearsals of the show, Stevens took a few minutes to answer some questions about the play, Westheimer, the experience of performing a one-woman show about this fascinating woman, and what it takes to become Dr. Ruth.

Dr. Ruth Westheimer might be a small person but she is also someone with a very large personality. How difficult is it playing someone who is not only incredibly well known, and still alive, but also someone who people have most likely seen numerous times on TV or heard on the radio? 

Stevens: "Of course there is the obligation to get it right.  Playing a real person, much less a living real person, is daunting.  It requires a great deal of research and study to be ready. You read as much as you can, but we are lucky that there is SO much available about Dr. Ruth on the internet. Then there is the need to capture her essence. You don't want to tip over into an impersonation or worse, a caricature.  The vocals are the most difficult as her accent is so iconic and such an amalgamation of everywhere she has lived: Germany, Switzerland, Israel, France, and the United States.  I am focusing on trying to get her inflections and rhythms along with the irregular Dr. Ruth rules of German dialect. And throwing  in a little of her vocal fry for kicks! Ha!"

What type of research did you do for the role? 

"I read a few books, watched the documentary (Ask Dr. Ruth), watched her TV shows, followed links on the internet, and read articles. "

Previous to being cast, how aware were you of the details of Westheimer's fascinating past before she became the famous sex therapist? 

"I was not aware of the amazing life she has had. I knew her from watching her TV show in the 80's and being stunned at the things she was able to say on the air.  I did know that she was a German Jew and had family in the Holocaust.  I did not know that her entire family had been killed though.  I don't wish to give too much away, but there is another episode of her life in Israel that is utterly fascinating.  I had no idea what a true bada** she was!"

Mark St. Germain's play does an incredible job at not just detailing Westheimer's astonishing past but also in ensuring the wit, wisdom and courage of Dr. Ruth comes through loud and clear. I think audiences will be amazed to learn everything that Westheimer lived through before she became famous. What is the most fascinating thing you learned about Westheimer while you were preparing for this show? 

"I do not want to give it away for those who do not know--but I just alluded to it in the previous question.  What she did in Israel and what happened to her was a surprise to me.  Also, she has been married 3 times.  I love that this little woman talking to us about sex has had such a colorful life!"

What elements of Dr. Ruth or her life do you relate to? Are there any character traits you found that you have in common? 

"Apart from both being short? Although I do tower over her as I am 5 feet tall.  We are both resilient and I know just how much more ground she has on me in that aspect. I have had my own challenges, particularly in the last few years, as have most people.  I try to find the joy in everything I do also--again, she has me beat on that front as well. I do think that short women are often underestimated, but I can still hit a softball out of the infield and smack a mean forehand crosscourt on the tennis court.  I like seeing the surprise in the eyes of those who don't expect that! I think Dr. Ruth has surprised most people with what she has endured, accomplished, and experienced in her extraordinary life.  I hope I will be able to say that as I approach the age of 93 too! 'Though she be but little, she is fierce!' "

While there is much drama in it, the play does have some comical moments. Dr. Ruth is well known for her frank sex talk and her bubbly, comical nature, and she has been parodied and lampooned on TV before. How difficult is it to stay true to Ruth’s giant personality without veering into parody? 

"It is a balance, but as with any role, you look for the honesty and truth in the playing of it.  Finding the verisimilitude is key! (God, I love that word!)"

I have to imagine you'll be providing an essence of, or homage to, Westheimer's signature accent and way of speaking in your performance. How hard was that? 

"It is probably the most difficult dialect I had attempted--although, as Scott Withers and I say, we love a dialect challenge.  I had had the assistance of the wonderful Diane Senffner listening and making sure I had the tools for the German dialect.  Dr. Ruth has lived in the US for nearly 65 years, so there is that.  She says in the play that her accent is German, French, Israeli, and American. Toss in 6 years in Switzerland too.  She breaks many of the rules for a true German dialect, so the irregularity of it is the biggest challenge for me. For example, she doesn't keep her 'w' to 'v' consistent.  She says her name Westheimer with the American 'w.' Katie and I made the choice to try to keep the early years more of the classic German, but let her grow into the Americanized version for the present scenes.  My ears are bleeding... Ha!"

Is this the first one woman show you've done? If it is, what has that experience been like? If it isn't, is there anything you learned from past one person shows you did that helped in preparing for Becoming Dr Ruth? 

"This is the third one-woman show for me. I just finished a 30 minute version of Pandora for Childsplay that was offered to schools via Zoom, but we also took it out to many libraries throughout Maricopa County and did it live as 'drive-in' theatre.  Before that you have to go back to The Belle Of Amherst when I was MUCH younger.  This show has a 90 minute run time and coming back to performing live and alone for an hour and a half is a stamina challenge right now!  I am getting there.  Breathing is key for me especially at the top of show, then I hit my stride.  Water is also key!"

Katie McFadzen and Debra K. Stevens in 
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - Childsplay
photo by Tim Trumble

You've worked with Katie McFadzen, who is directing this show, dozens of times, appearing together in numerous Childsplay productions. How has that relationship helped in rehearsals? 

"It is an immediate shorthand in the rehearsal room.  We know each other so well.  The trust of each other's artistry is there.  I am benefitting from her perspective on creating the character and world as she has different gifts from me.  We can speak honestly about what works and what doesn't.  She is also calling me out of my 'Debbie-isms' Ha!"

What do you hope audiences will take away from seeing Becoming Dr. Ruth at the Phoenix Theatre Company? 

"The resilience of this amazing human! Also, the importance of love and family. What we think may be the truth of someone we see is only one part.  People are such  complex beings--we are shaped by everything that happens to us and those things we cause to happen.  But mostly, embrace your life and leave the world a better place!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.