Friday, March 19, 2021

Talking to Broadway Performer Lana Gordon, who co-stars in BROADWAY PERSPECTIVES: A CONCERT CELEBRATING DIVERSITY at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts on April 3

Lana Gordon

by Gil Benbrook

On April 3, Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts will present a concert created exclusively for them that features some of Broadway’s top Black artists. Entitled "Broadway Perspectives: A Concert Celebrating Diversity" this brand new cabaret show will feature four Broadway artists performing signature songs they've sung on Broadway along with songs from roles that Black artists have not traditionally played. They will also share personal stories that provide perspective into their experience and also honor their icons that came before them.

Created by New York casting director and producer Stephen DeAngelis, the concert will feature Doug Eskew, Lana Gordon, Jelani Remy, and Syndee Winters, who have appeared on Broadway, touring and regional productions, including The Lion King, The Color Purple, Ain't Misbehavin', Chicago, Smokey Joe's Cafe and Hamilton. The concert will also include a special appearance by Arizona’s own Alexandra Ncube who appeared in the national tour of The Book of Mormon

The evening will showcase musical selections from Hamilton; Ain’t Too Proud: The Life and Times of the Temptations; The Lion King; Ragtime; The Wiz; The Color Purple; Chicago; The Book of Mormon and more.

Lana Gordon, who made her Broadway debut as Shenzi in the original cast of The Lion King, and who most most recently co-starred as Velma Kelly in the Broadway company of Chicago, studied dance at New York City's Alvin Ailey School and also played the role of Dionne in the European tour of Hairand appeared in the Broadway revival of Jesus Christ Superstar. She's also appeared in Europe and the Middle East in lead roles in various shows, including Chicago, Sister Act and West Side Story. She most recently appeared on NBC’s “One Night Only: The Best of Broadway” where she led the cast of Chicago in "All that Jazz".

Gordon sat down to answer a few questions about her Broadway experiences and what Scottsdale audiences have to look forward to in the "Broadway Perspectives" concert.

What can you tell us about "Broadway Perspectives" and how did you get involved in this upcoming concert? 

Gordon: "I have been extremely fortunate to have known Stephen DeAngelis for a number of years now, and he has always looked out for amazing opportunities for me to be part of. Of course, I knew that this one was especially special, 'Broadway Perspectives', and to be a part of an extremely talented group of artists made it even better."
 
You made your Broadway debut in The Lion King. What was it like being involved in the creation of what has become one of Broadway's longest running shows?

"As a member of the Original Cast of The Lion King on Broadway, it was an absolute joy in my life. It was my first Broadway show, and I waited on line for 7 hours to sing 12 bars of my song of choice, returned for 3 days of auditions, and finally I received that call that I was selected as one of the dancers. This was one of the best moments of my life. I remember putting on the Cheetah puppet for the first time in rehearsal and one time I was stopped by Julie Taymor who could not get over how much I morphed into this puppet and became the Cheetah. Being part of The Lion King opened many doors, but one in particular stands out. As a dancer I loved watching Heather Headley perform as Nala, and for fun I would stand in the wings, and learned the whole role by watching her. I would go home at night after the show and sing 'Shadowlands', the song Nala sang in the show, at the top of my lungs. One day Heather fell and twisted her ankle and both of her understudies were out, I told the dance captain at the time, I knew all her lines and could perform. On that Saturday night I went on for Nala, and became her understudy from that day on. So being part of Lion King, has been an absolute gift to be part of and because that story has been told for years!!" 

You also appeared in the Broadway revival of Jesus Christ Superstar as well as played Velma Kelly in the long running Broadway revival of Chicago. What are some memorable moments from those two shows?

"I was part of the revival of Jesus Christ Superstar, in the year of 2000, and it was a wonderful journey, but closed after 6 months. The exciting news was when Disney called me and offered me the role of Shenzi, in The Lion King, bringing me back for another two years, being the third Shenzi to perform on Broadway.  

After being on Broadway for a number of years I decided to audition for West Side Story as Anita. After getting the role, I joined the company and was the Anita off on for 6 years. I have lived in Germany/Austria for 10 years, playing various roles in the German language. The last being Chicago, as Velma Kelly, which has led me to play the role on Broadway.  Playing this role was a blessing and I was made history in being the first to grace the stage as two black co-leads in Chicago with the amazing iconic R/B singer Brandy I also graced the stage with many celebs such as Veronica Dunne and Christie Brinkley."

Lana Gordon (center) and the cast of Chicago perform "All that Jazz"
in the NBC special "One Night Only: The Best of Broadway" 

In December, you appeared in the NBC "One Night Only: The Best of Broadway" concert with the cast of Chicago where you performed "All That Jazz." What was that experience like and was it the first time you'd performed with the cast of the show since Broadway closed down last March?

"Since the closure of Broadway and the change in the world with the pandemic, I was called in by the producers of Chicago, to partake in a special tribute to represent Chicago as Velma in an NBC Special "One Night Only: The Best of Broadway”. Being part of this made my insides tingle, gave me hope, filled my heart with light and love. I was absolutely grateful to be the one to share part of me on that cold day in November with the world. What made it even more special about this was not only being able to perform, but be alongside my collages and do what we love, also this was a live performance which brought along another side of art to the viewers that normally isn't seen on Broadway!"

For "Broadway Perspectives", I know you and the rest of the performers will be recreating a few memorable musical numbers. Can you tell us a couple of the numbers you'll be performing and what those songs and the shows they are from mean to you?

"One of the songs I will be singing speaks volumes in my heart, 'Don't Rain on My Parade.' I feel that in life we have so many ups and downs, and I have sung this song many times, but this time its different. I have changed as a result of so much that has shifted in this world, and now more than ever I feel connected to the words in this song."

I understand the concert will also give each of you a chance to honor your icons. Who are your icons, and why are they important to you? 

"I have many people I admire and look up to but to me my icon is my Mom. She has been the main reason why I keep on keeping on. When things seems as though there is no way out, I remember her words from the late poet Langston Hughes, ‘Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.' "

What do you hope Scottsdale audiences will take away from Broadway Perspectives?

"Joy, Hope, Change and Love for ALL Beings!!!"

CLICK HERE for more information on Broadway Perspectives: A Concert Celebrating Diversity, on April 3 at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.