Saturday, November 24, 2018

Valley star Phoebe Koyabe brings Tony-winning musical DEAR EVAN HANSEN home to ASU Gammage

Phoebe Koyabe

from our friends at ASU Gammage:

How does it feel to be cast in your first national tour?

PHOEBE KOYABE: I couldn’t be more excited to be joining the DEAR EVAN HANSEN family. Being able to do theater has been a dream of mine for half of my life. I never imagined it could become reality so soon.

Tell us about your audition and when you found out you got the part.

PK: The auditioning process was pretty long, and I had to fly back and forth from Arizona to New York. I was thrilled to be in a room with such amazing and talented people. I really tried to think of it as a learning experience. I always tried my best but every time I flew home, I was full of self-doubt, frustration, and a feeling that I could’ve done better. I actually never even thought I had a shot at the part (especially considering my age) so I was really confused when my agent asked if she could call me. I was actually in the middle of teaching dance classes so as soon as my first break began I picked up the phone. Hearing the news was so overwhelming! It was such a shock that I screamed and started crying... that was difficult to explain to my students.

What about being a part of the DEAR EVAN HANSEN national tour are you most excited about?

PK: I am thrilled to become a part of the DEAR EVAN HANSEN family. As soon as the cast was announced I received messages from a number of my cast mates. Everyone seems so kind and the cast is so close! They’ll be my home away from home and I can’t wait.

What does it mean to you to be a part of show that has such a strong and impactful message?

PK: As someone who has personally been on the receiving end of bullying, being part of a show that has such a strong message is beyond amazing. I’ve gotten so many messages from other teenagers telling me how this show has changed their life for the better, and I am so glad I get to be a part of it.

Tell us about growing up in the Valley; how did the local theater scene impact your experience?

PK: The Valley is so great because we have so many theaters (especially community and youth). The theater community is so big, yet so close, and everyone knows everyone. The level of talent in the Valley is very high and I was able to learn so much from the people I worked with. Growing up
home-schooled, theater was my social life. I hung out with theater kids, theater kids, and maybe a few more theater kids along the way. Aside from that, I was still able to do some community and professional shows around the Valley which made me comfortable working with people of all ages.

What are your memories of attending shows at ASU Gammage?

PK: My first memory at ASU Gammage was 9 years ago when I saw LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE with my mom and sister. It was so long ago, but the thing I remember the most was how overjoyed I was, and this overwhelming feeling of wanting to jump up on the stage and join the actors.

What are you most looking forward to when you come to perform at ASU Gammage?

PK: I know it might sound silly, I can’t wait to see ASU Gammage from the other side of the stage. For 9 years I’ve seen shows from the audience and being up there one day almost seemed like an impossible dream.

CLICK HERE for more information on Dear Evan Hansen at ASU Gammage, which runs November 27-December 2

1 comment:

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.