Friday, November 3, 2017

Woman of LA MANCHA at ABT

Jessica Medoff
photo by 
by Jennifer Haaland

Man of La Mancha, the classic Don Quixote story has a central lady at its heart.  Aldonza, or Dulcinea as Quixote calls her, in Arizona Broadway Theatre's (ABT) current production of the musical is new to Peoria's stage, but not to the role.  Actor Jessica Medoff's visit with PHX Stages presented what a  2017 woman of La Mancha looks like.

"If we live a life of positive intention, positive things will happen," began Medoff, a trained opera vocalist who has played the Aldonza role on several occasions. "The whole show is filled with touching lessons that are incredibly poignant and timeless."

Medoff wasn't just talking platitudes. She relayed how the role, this time around, applied differently to her personal world than it has in the past.

"Right at the beginning of our rehearsal process the tragedy and shootings in Las Vegas took place. Like most Americans, I was saddened and disgusted and mortified. And after hearing again the lyrics to 'The Impossible Dream,' I thought, 'God. This is so apropos for the time that we are living in," Medoff said as she observed a shift in her own usually quiet presence on social media. "I thought, 'You know what? It is my duty and my privilege as a free and educated person to share my thoughts and to fight for what I feel is right.  To advocate for those who can't.  I will strive with my last ounce of courage to do something better, to make the world better. There's so much turmoil and we need to stand up for what we believe in… In a peaceful, hopeful, not aggressive or violent way."

Turning a little more introspective, Medoff mused about having added the title 'Mom' to her CV since the last time she played the La Mancha role.  As her two-year-old played next to her backstage during the interview, she turned her attention to how blending family and dreams became a priority.

"From an artist's perspective, sometimes I wonder what I'm doing with my life.  Should I have gone into medicine or something?"asked Medoff, but she came came back to that dream. "When we decided to have a child we agreed that Mommy doesn't have to give up because we decide to have kids.  We decided we are going to make it work.  It's a thrilling life.  It's hard at times, but we are making the sacrifice to dream.  So, on a personal level, this show at this time in my life is quite special."

Medoff relayed how she and Aldonza have rubbed off on each other over the years, which makes for a memorable performance.  Her ownership of the role causes ABT's audiences to shed tears on several occasions.

"I feel like I'm a pretty feisty, strong woman, that doesn't put up with a lot. Considering she was spawned in a ditch and expected to die there, I think Aldonza is, too. She is in control as much as she can be of her plight," Medoff said. "There is a lot to be said about being a strong woman. About taking what you've been given and making the best of it, always longing for something better."

Foreseeing a better existence brings the conversation back to ABT's specific production.  The set, unsurpassed in its imposing prison setting during the Spanish Inquisition, creates a world for cast mates James Rio (Don Quixote) and Andy Meyers (Sancho) to work their magic on Aldonza (and those watching).

"He brings in this breath of promise.... A breath of fresh air that these prisoners have forgotten.  He reminds them that there can still be hope in the darkest of times," Medoff said. "I think he gives her great strength. He says at the end, 'I have no intention of burning' when he is hauled off to the Inquisition."

Bringing hope to the audience and Medoff's woman of La Mancha simultaneously, ABT's music and inspirational ending of Man of La Mancha lingers long after the curtain call.

"When I hear him say that, it allows me to believe I have no intention of dying in this prison either.  I have no intention of letting this place break me."



No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.