Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: CHRIS CHÁVEZ

by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate and the recent protests to fight racial injustice, continues today with a conversation with Valley actor and director Chris Chávez.

The COVID-19 virus and the protests for racial equality in support of #blacklivesmatter  have affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight into what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

Chávez: "I was directing Shopping and Fucking at Laughing Pig Theatre set to open on March 27th at the Mesa Arts Center.  I was in Portland, Oregon and flew back to Phoenix on March 10th and went back to rehearsal March 11th.  We found out then that Mesa Arts Center was suspending all rehearsals/shows/performances indefinitely on March 16th.  So, after almost 3 months of rehearsals, 11 days before we were supposed to open, we found out it wouldn’t be happening.  I felt bad for LPT and the cast, because they all had worked so hard on this show, and it was more than ready to open."

How have you been personally impacted by both COVID and the stay at home order in March as well as the current situation with the protests fighting for racial justice and #blacklivesmatter?

"My plan was to drive back home (to New Mexico) and see my family at the end of July.  This was before our infection rate started increasing dramatically.  Now, I won’t go for fear of unintentionally infecting my family.  On top of that, I would have to quarantine for the full time I would be there.  It’s unfortunate, but my family understands.

I also found out recently that two people I know have tested positive for COVID - none whom I’ve been in contact with physically.  So as it relates to my own physical health, I’m thankfully doing well.  Mentally, I’m doing as best as I can.  It’s very difficult being an omnivert and not being able to see others or be social.  My weekly podcast recording sessions and grocery trips are the extent of my social life at the moment.

Regarding BLM and the protests, I have always been a strong advocate for social issues, but with the murder of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and countless others, it made me realize that this fight is far from over. In fact, I would say it’s just beginning.  Being part of the BIPOC community myself, it has also made me reflect on many situations that I have experienced in my life which, even if I didn’t realize it at the time, were racially motivated.  Additionally, I have taken more social action for change, and become more outspoken on matters that affect marginalized communities.  When it comes down to it, the only way to progress forward as a world, is to make change, and be a part of that change."

How has your daily routine changed?

"Prior to the COVID madness, I was working from home twice a week.  After COVID, we were told we would be working home until the end of March full time.  The end of March came around and we were told we would still work from home until June and then reassess.  Last week, we found out we will be working from home at least until the end of the year.  Outside of work, I’ve become more physically active, running 10-18 miles a week, but now that the heat is killing that vibe, I will have to stick to doing indoor workouts. "

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"The most obvious answer-everything!  I mean, theatres are going to have to change a lot in order to help prevent the spread of COVID.  This means shows with smaller casts, smaller audience capacities, and so on.  Overall, theatres will just have to be more cautious."

Chris Chávez (right) and the cast of In the Heights - Mesa Encore Theatre
photo by Justin McBride

When do you think that’ll happen?

"My hopes are for the fall since I already have a directing job lined up (Deathtrap at Fountain Hills Theatre).  In meeting with them, I have found that they are taking a lot of precautions.  Even so, it is really hard to determine what may happen.  So, right now it’s a day by day, week by week, kind of situation. "

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"Anything and everything to keep myself sane! Haha.  Seriously, I have been part of a lot of virtual theatres and readings, both directing and acting.  I have been involved with Virtual Theatre of Arizona, Signifying Nothing, Southwest Shakespeare, and Virtual Theatre Lab.  Also, in the midst of all this I have been elected to the board at Mesa Encore Theatre.  So needless to say, I’m still part of theatre, even if not in the conventional sense."

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"A few.  Honestly, it really takes something special to really keep my attention.  Some that I have finished, loved, and highly recommend are Gentefied, Undone, Tales from the Loop, and Shrill."

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"I have always enjoyed reading for pleasure, but that kind of fell to the wayside for a while.  So, I’ve started reading again, and even joined a book club with some friends, which has been very enlightening and fun.

I have always claimed myself a great cook, but a terrible baker because it’s so precise.  Over the last few months I have taken up baking and have learned to make a lot of delicious things.  It’s not great for the waistline, but that’s why I work out, right?.  At least, that’s how I justify it!"

How has this experience changed you?

"I have been working on myself personally a lot this year.  So being homebound a lot has, in a way, been ideal for that.  It has also taught me patience.  Not to say that I wasn’t patient before, but now, as much as I would like to do something about a lot of situations, there are some things that are simply out of my hands.  In some cases, all I can do is wait patiently. "

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to now that Arizona and most states have lifted the stay at home order?

"Hmm…I still don’t trust it yet.  I think we are moving too hastily into lifting stay at home orders and opening the state.  So, even though it is happening, I’m still being cautious.  That being said, once things are in some semblance of normalcy, I just want to be able to see friends and enjoy their company again.  And of course, go to the theatre!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.