Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A conversation with Phoenix native Beka Burnham from the national tour of WICKED

Beka Burnham
by Gil Benbrook

Beka Burnham grew up in Apache Junction, moved to Boston to study Musical Theater at The Boston Conservatory and very soon after graduating found herself cast in the ensemble of one of the biggest Broadway tours on the road - Wicked. This Arizona native is about to celebrate her one year anniversary on the tour in the best way possible - coming home to the Phoenix area where the tour of Wicked runs at ASU/Gammage in Tempe from August 26th to October 4th. Beka took a few minutes in between performances of the tour, where it is currently playing in Portland, Oregon, to answer some questions exclusively for PHX Stages.

Wicked is one of the longest running shows on Broadway as well as has found huge success in London and many other cities around the world. Why do you think Wicked has struck such a chord with audiences?

"I think the reason Wicked has done so well is because it tells a very honest story of friendship. That's something that everyone can relate to I think. At the same time there's a love story and there's heartbreak. But what really amazes me about the show is that while it's a heartfelt, truthful story it's also one of the biggest spectacles you can find in theatre. The show is captivating and the costumes are beautiful. Wicked has everything. It's the full package and I think that's something that everyone wants to experience."

Alyssa Fox and Carrie St. Louis
photo: Joan Marcus
It really is a musical that has everything. When was the first time you saw a production of the show?

"The first time I saw Wicked was in August of '06 at ASU Gammage. I was so excited because I had listened to the cast recording repetitively. I'll never forget how that first time moved me."

I can only imagine! What is your favorite part of the show?

"It changes depending on what role I'm playing, but the first hour of the show is definitely the most physical and energetic and I really love that."

As this is your first National Tour, how does that compare to doing a show that only plays in one city/theatre?

"It's really a different experience. Every other show I've done has been relatively short term compared to this. I've been on tour a year now and it definitely becomes more of a lifestyle being on the road, doing 8 shows a week."

With your one year anniversary on this tour just right around the corner, is being on the road for such a long time what you thought it would be like?

"It's everything and more. There was definitely an adjustment period for me, transitioning from school to tour, but what I found is that the people in this company are so caring and wonderful. It's a family in a sense and I wasn't necessarily expecting that."

As one of the understudies for both Glinda and Nessarose, how often have you gone on in either of those parts?

"I've been on for Glinda ten times and for Nessarose ten times."

the ensemble of the National Tour of Wicked
photo: Joan Marcus
As an ensemble member you have a huge number of parts to play, with numerous costume changes. How difficult is it to appear in a show that requires so much attention and effort while understudying other parts?

"It can be difficult. There have been times that I've felt stretched pretty thin. But what gets me through is that I truly love doing it. Working on either role is so fulfilling for me, it gives me energy to keep going!"

Any fun or wild mishaps you've had during the show?

"Nothing too crazy... I've fallen a couple times but considering how many times I've done the show I figure a couple falls isn't too bad!"

I'm happy to hear you haven't had any major mishaps! Before moving to Boston to study Musical Theater at The Boston Conservatory, I know you attended Mesa Community College at a relatively young age. How was that experience?

"It was great! I started taking classes there when I was thirteen. I took general classes like, English, Math, Science and French but mainly I focused on my Music, Theatre, and Dance classes. I loved
it!"

Well that's impressive that you started at MCC at just 13.  Did you perform in any shows at MCC and were there any other theatre companies in Phoenix that you performed at?

"I did a lot of shows at the Theatre Outback. My first show there was actually The Wizard of Oz and I was a poppy. I also did theater at Hale Center Theatre, Greasepaint Youth Theatre, Phoenix Theatre, and Fountain Hills Community Theatre."

Nice to see the Oz connection from your very first show to you current one, and that you performed all over the Valley. Do you still have family in the Apache Junction or Phoenix?

"Yes! My parents live in Apache Junction and both my sisters and their families live in AZ too. I have 7 nieces and nephews and I'm so excited to see them when we get to Tempe."

Will this be your first time appearing on the Gammage stage?

"Yes. It's super surreal to think that I won't be in the audience this time."

See Beka and the National Tour of Wicked at ASU/Gammage from August 26th to October 4th.

To purchase tickets for Wicked, at ASU/Gammage CLICK HERE

For more information on Wicked, both on Broadway and on Tour CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.