Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: JOHANNA CARLISLE-ZEPEDA



by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate and the recent protests to fight racial injustice, continues today with a conversation with Valley actress Johanna Carlisle-Zepeda.

The COVID-19 virus and the protests for racial equality in support of #blacklivesmatter  have affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight into what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started? 

"I was supposed to be playing Dr. Scott in Rocky Horror Show with The Phoenix Theatre Company through June.  We were also taking Americano to NYC in April for a 29 Hour reading.  I was really excited for both shows."

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?  

"I have been unemployed from all of my jobs (theater and bartending) since March 16th.  My son, Maxx, had a mild case early on.  He lives in NYC.   I have lost 2 friends (neither from Covid) during this time.  I have seen my friends lose relatives and other friends or co-workers.  It's hard.  I attended my first socially distanced funeral and hope to never have to experience that again.  Grief needs human contact...hugs not elbow bumps. 

I am usually a go go go type and work 18-19 hrs a day.  I also travel across the country for work.  I am finding that now that I am not go go go all the time my body is like 'Hey so I hurt...a lot... here and here and here and could you fix me?' I have had a lot of time to work on healing my physical body and my soul. .  I have had time to reflect on who I am and how I am seen not just in the theater community but in the world as a whole.  The big change is I am having knee replacement surgery on July 8th!  After years of dancing and onstage antics and accidents, I will get a new knee to hopefully keep me moving on and off stage for another 40+ years!!"

Johanna Carlisle-Zepeda in Americano - The Phoenix Theatre Company
photo by Reg Madison Photography

How has your daily routine changed? 

"Well I don't go to work LOL BUT I do still go get my bulletproof coffee from Copper Star Coffee every day!  My partner is working from home so during the official lockdown, I would go to my other quarantine house and hang with Joe Cannon (my hubby from Americano).  We would go hiking and watch tv and did an online show called VD with Triple J.  Now that Joe is back to work my schedule is more boring.  I get my coffee, try to exercise as best as I can and watch way too much TV. (True Facts)"

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?  

"Smaller cast plays or cabaret style will be the norm for a while I believe.  Bigger musicals will require more thought on how to function.  We may see a resurgence of the concert style musical.  However, we will figure it out.  I also believe this gives us an opportunity to try new things.  Theater has survived the Plague, the Spanish Flu and we will survive this.  Each obstacle allows for us to find new creative outlets, and we will develop and grow from this.  I know that many theaters will not make it through because of financial reasons which is awful.  We need to fight to keep theaters alive.  During the lockdown people looked to the performers of the world for entertainment and we proved we are needed.  Don't tell us we need to look for other jobs or careers.  We have a career and it's a needed one.  Watch Hamilton or Newsies or Zoom play readings or online cabarets and remember that we are unemployed but still working to bring joy to the world.

We will be more aware of our physical health and of those around us.  We will be more assertive when we don't feel well.  Honestly, it is what we SHOULD have been doing during flu season.  Don't go to work sick - wear a mask if you must go to work. Wash your hands, ETC."

When do you think that’ll happen? 

"Honestly - Fall of 2021 is when I believe we will start seeing Covid treatment plans which will help us get back into houses with fuller shows and houses.  Prior to that I think small shows and cabarets will start to appear in March or April 2021."

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time? 

"I mentioned that Joe Cannon and I did an online show called VD (VIRTUAL DISTANCING) with Triple J.  He also wrote some amazing songs that we have dabbled with and started to record.  Maybe an EP is on the horizon?   I have done a few online Cabarets for theaters in Boston and Phoenix (see clip below of Johanna singing "Little Girls" in a Mother's Day cabaret)  I did a virtual reading of the Classic Spanish play La Vida Es SueƱo (Life is a Dream) with Signifying Nothing Theater.  I started writing poetry again and am working on my 1 woman show The Con Artist with the help of Michael Barnard.  I recently started working on McCobb Mortality Services (A Musical Radio Play) with ASU Alum Drew Nichols.  It's a super cool piece and helps me get my feet wet in the voice acting world.  I did a love project for a friend by recording a novel for her which also got me interested in trying to read for Audible.  I now have a small recording studio set-up so who knows what the future will hold!!"


 Any binge tv shows you’ve watched? 

"Peaky Blinders, EVERY season of RuPaul's Drag Race/Untucked/All Stars (except season 5 so no spoilers)/Review with a Jew, One Day at a Time, Hollywood, What We Do in the Shadows, The Mandolorian (again) - never finished Tiger King or The Great but there is still time LOL"

I also have watched a ton of documentaries including Circus of Books, Have a Good Trip, We Are DREAMers, Disclosure and The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on? 

"Dabbling in audio recording and a return back to cooking which I love to do and working on family recipes including making tortillas and posole"

How has this experience changed you?  

"I am learning that the Universe provides signals and guidelines for what lessons we need to learn.  I am working on patience with self to be able to give the Universe a better me...a mentally and physically better me.  I also realise I wish I could check on more people every single day but I am not always great at it so to my friends and family, I love you all very very much and hope you are doing well.  Reach out to me if you need anything.  I am great for a call or a cornbread :)"

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to now that Arizona and most states have lifted the stay at home order?  

"My new knee LOL. I will continue to support local businesses and GrubHub (Goddess Bless GH+ and it's free delivery and perks)  I want to remind everyone to be respectful of each other.  Remember we are all different but still all human and not cookie cutter humans."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.