Thursday, December 10, 2020

Talking to the "Marvelous" women who make up Zao Theatre's WINTER WONDERETTES

Melissa Van Slyke, Rebecca Bryce, Heidi-Liz Johnson, and Gina Kim 
photo by Mickey Bryce

by Gil Benbrook

Roger Bean's The Marvelous Wonderettes was a hit Off Broadway, running for over 1,200 performances, and has been peformed by hundreds of theatre companies across the country.  Mixing nostalgia with humor and featuring over 30 classic ’50s and ’60s pop hits, Bean hit upon a formula for success that he's repeated in numerous other jukebox musicals, including several Wonderettes sequels.

Zao Theatre in Apache Junction presents Bean's holiday Wonderettes offering, Winter Wonderettes, which opens tonight and runs through December 20th. The four women Zao has cast to portray the four Wonderettes - Cindy Lou, Missy, Betty Jean and Suzy - have plenty of experience with their characters and the format of these shows as all have played these roles before and performed together in The Marvelous Wonderettes and its sequel The Marvelous Wonderettes: Caps & Gowns

Rebecca Bryce (Cindy Lou),  Heidi-Liz Johnson (Suzy), Gina Kim (Missy) and Melissa Van Slyke (Betty Jean) took a few moments in between final tech rehearsals for the show to sit down and answer some questions about their characters and this 


Rebecca Bryce (Cindy Lou)

Tell us a little about the character you play in the show 

"Cindy Lou was the most popular girl in high school. She likes to wear a lot of pink, and she can be a bit (ok, more than a bit) of a flirt. In high school she was the type who’d steal your boyfriend when you weren’t looking, and wouldn’t think twice about it. She likes to have fun and loves being the center of attention. She definitely can get upset when things don’t go her way, and while she’s grown up a lot from high school, you still see glimpses of the friendly rivalry she has with her best friend Betty Jean. She has a bit of a sarcastic, sassy streak, but once in a while she has moments of honesty and clarity where the confident face she usually puts on goes away, and you see that she does have a softer, more vulnerable side. "

How do you feel you and your character are most alike and what is a character trait or idiosyncrasy about her that you feel you don't share?

"I’m definitely a girly girl, so I love the floofy dresses and heels. She enjoys being the star of the show...sometimes (not unlike me). Other times she prefers to observe the action without being front and center (like when Missy is scolding Betty Jean for acting up). Like me, it’s easy for Cindy Lou to feel confident when people lavish her with attention, but she also sometimes hides her true feelings because she’s uncomfortable being vulnerable, so she often puts on a brave face. I find I can connect with her need to feel acceptance from her best friends, and to want to hide the things that are hard to deal with. 

I definitely was nowhere near the popular, pretty, cheerleader type in high school, so it’s fun to pretend I was. At times Cindy Lou has a bit of a mean, vindictive streak, which I hope is nothing like me! I would say high school Cindy Lou was a bit of a “bad girl”, which is the literal opposite of me. I never dated the bad boy, I never got nominated for Prom Queen, I never stole my best friend’s boyfriend. I avoid conflict at all costs, and Cindy Lou thrives on it. Over the course of these shows, Cindy Lou does exhibit a lot of growth, but much of it comes from a hard, lonely childhood and a lot of tumultuous, sometimes tragic love and life experiences. It’s fun to explore the nature and growth of a character whose life was so unlike mine. "

This isn't your first time playing this role, or the first time you appeared in a Wonderette show with this cast. What is it about these women and these songs that has made you want to play the role again?

"This is the third time I’ve played this character (and the third time doing a Wonderettes show with these ladies), but each time have gotten to explore new stories for these women. In the first two shows we did, Act 1 and Act 2 are set ten years apart (senior year of high school and then ten years later), so we’ve gotten to touch upon so many different moments in these girls' lives. Winter Wonderettes is unique in that the entire show is set in 1968 (ten years after high school), so a lot has already happened leading up to it. It is great fun getting to live in these characters and this universe, and getting to explore the friendships and antics of these women. 

Beyond that, I love nothing more than singing great music. We have gotten to perform SO many fantastic, timeless songs over all three of these shows. The arrangements are so creatively written, and it is an absolute pleasure getting to sing good music with such uniquely talented performers. There is something very special about working alongside people who you not only enjoy working with, but who are just GOOD. I can’t say enough about the talent of each of the other three women onstage with me. I would always say yes to another Wonderettes show with these ladies."

What is your favorite part or song in the show and why is it your favorite?

"One of my favorite numbers (which I definitely did not expect) is the Bells Medley.  It is chaotic (mostly controlled chaos) and lively and the number is a little bit different every time. It’s just a lot of fun and I am very excited to get it in front of an audience. 

There are a couple of moments in the show that can be unpredictable (no spoilers!) but I love when I can catch one of the other girls doing something super spontaneous or funny. Sometimes you have to roll with the .punches and that’s one of the things I love about the nature of these shows. I find myself genuinely laughing sometimes (in character, of course!) at the ridiculousness of it all."

What do you hope audiences will take away from seeing Winter Wonderettes?

I hope this show can provide an escape for people: to step out of the real world and stop thinking about all the things that have happened this year (and are still happening), and for a moment be a part of something that is simply a couple of hours of great entertainment, with a lot of laughter and maybe some "warm-fuzzy" moments too. I think audiences will recognize many of the Christmas tunes in this show, and they will enjoy hearing them again. My hope is that over the course of the evening, that their hearts emerge a little less heavy and their spirits a little more uplifted. 

Heidi-Liz Johnson, Melissa Van Slyke, Rebecca Bryce, and Gina Kim 
photo by Mickey Bryce


Heidi-Liz Johnson (Suzy)

Tell us a little about the character you play in the show

"Suzy is bubbly, excitable, innocent, fun-loving, and genuine (sometimes to a fault). She is a loyal friend and an unconditional supporter, though she hates conflict. She's always the first to jump in and put out the flames amongst her fellow Wonderettes, simply by pulling them apart with a smile!"

How do you feel you and your character are most alike and what is a character trait or idiosyncrasy about her that you feel you don't share?

"It's a difficult question as I think Suzy and I have very different temperaments! I'd like to think that, like Suzy, I am a loyal friend that finds joy in the happiness and personal successes of her loved ones. As far as differences go, there are a few, but I think the most notable difference is that Suzy is a chronic extrovert. She absolutely loves people and wants nothing more than to share her enthusiasm with everyone she encounters. Let's just say I'm a little less zesty!"

This isn't your first time playing this role, or the first time you appeared in a Wonderette show with this cast. What is it about these women and these songs that has made you want to play the role again?

"The easy answer to that question is simply that the Wonderette shows are bottled joy. For both the audience and the actors, you can't help but leave the theatre with a smile on your face and the catchy music in your head. Not to mention I think the blend of this particular cast of ladies is pretty stupendous!"

What is your favorite part or song in the show and why is it your favorite?

"I have a very specific favorite moment, and it's the first four-part harmony section in the last song of the show, Winter Wonderland. This particular line is acapella, and every time we sing it, I can't help but think, "Ooh, this sounds so cool!" All the music is difficult harmony-wise, so when we nail it, I find it endlessly satisfying."

What do you hope audiences will take away from seeing Winter Wonderettes?

"This year in particular, when the world is a little more stressful and unsure than usual, I really hope that audiences walk away from this show feeling even an ounce of the warmth and delight of Christmas. If we can sweep just one person away into the Wonderette world and help them forget what's going on in our own for even an hour and a half, I will be content."

Gina Kim (Missy) 

Tell us a little about the character you play in the show 

"My character can be a bit bossy and wants to be in charge of everything! She is very particular, smart, quirky, and has a little flare of dorky sexy sass that emerges from time to time"

How do you feel you and your character are most alike and what is a character trait or idiosyncrasy about her that you feel you don't share? 

"We both are perfectionists. When I complete a task I will always give it 100 percent. I take pride in my work. Everything Missy does must be perfect!"

This isn't your first time playing this role, or the first time you appeared in a Wonderette show with this cast. What is it about these women and these songs that has made you want to play the role again?

"I absolutely love the music and the blend that the four of us have together! It is an honor to work with such talented women!... And it's nice to be a part of something that brings such joy in such a dark and scary world right now."

What is your favorite part or song in the show and why is it your favorite?

"Snowfall!! It is so incredibly beautiful with intricate and unique jazzy chords! It's a difficult song, but when done correctly it's absolutely stunning and different than any other song in the show. I love singing it with these girls!"

What do you hope audiences will take away from seeing Winter Wonderettes?

"I'm hoping people can come to the show, relax, smile, feel the music, sing, and feel joy! Hopefully any ailments, heart aches or stresses can be forgotten for the short while that we share this wonderful playful show! I think everyone will also absolutely love the set! It's gorgeous!"

Melissa Van Slyke (front), Gina Kim, Heidi-Liz Johnson, and Rebecca Bryce  
photo by Mickey Bryce



Melissa Van Slyke (Betty Jean) 

Tell us a little about the character you play in the show 

"I play Betty Jean Reynolds in the show. Betty Jean is the jokester of the group.  She cares much more about chasing the funny than about the actual show.  Whatever type a is, Betty Jean is the opposite.  She works at the hardware store who is hosting the Christmas party.  Betty Jean has experienced a lot of heartache in her life and wears her heart on her sleeve.  She is loyal to a fault which keeps her constantly trying to get attention from her not-so-nice best friend Cindy Lou and her terrible husband Johnny. Beyond her jaded exterior, she has a heart of gold."

How do you feel you and your character are most alike and what is a character trait or idiosyncrasy about her that you feel you don't share?

"There is a lot in Betty Jean that i relate to.  My sense of humor has carried me through all the hard times in my life. Betty Jean has had to be scrappy and fight for everything she has.  She loves big and is very empathetic. Unlike Betty Jean, I have a wonderful and supportive husband that I adore. "

This isn't your first time playing this role, or the first time you appeared in a Wonderette show with this cast. What is it about these women and these songs that has made you want to play the role again?

"I originally auditioned for this show because it made me think of my Dad who passed away far too soon.  He loved all this music and filled my childhood listening to it, so it felt like a big love letter to him.  He used to call me Missy.  Each show makes me smile thinking of him in the audience smiling and humming along.  I also have a 5 year old son that will get to watch me perform for the first time so i'm looking forward to that. In fact, these shows have been a really fun way to introduce my kids to all this amazing music.  I also love these ladies so much and these shows are just fun."

What is your favorite part or song in the show and why is it your favorite?

"My favorite song in the show is probably Mele Kalikimaka.  It's always been one of my favorite Christmas songs and always puts a smile on my face."

What do you hope audiences will take away from seeing Winter Wonderettes?

"I hope the audience can just have a  pleasant escape for a little while.  This year has been such a challenging one, so hopefully we can bring a little Christmas cheer for a few minutes."


No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.