Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: MAX CRUMM

by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the theatre community and their reaction to Arizona and other state's stay at home mandates, continues today with a conversation with Max Crumm.

Crumm grew up in Phoenix and appeared in youth shows at several theatres in town, including Valley Youth Theatre and Desert Stages Theatre, before becoming famous when he won the role of Danny in the 2007 Broadway revival of Grease from his appearance on the TV reality competition show Grease: You're the One That I Want! He's also appeared on Broadway in Disaster! as well as in shows Off Broadway and in regional theatres.

The COVID-19 virus and the quarantines and stay at home orders have affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight into what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

Crumm: "I was in the Off-Broadway hit, Emojiland when we got the call that we would no longer be finishing our Sold-Out run. It was a fantastical little show on 42nd street about emoji's living inside of a smartphone! I played 'Man In Business-suit Levitating' and did the entire show on a hoverboard. We had just opened 2 months before the virus hit the US. The show only had 2 weeks left on the contract. So, luckily there wasn't too much money lost for the company. Still it was devastating to end so abruptly. We never got a closing night performance or party!"

Max Crumm (center) with Lesli Margherita and Josh Lamon in Emojiland
photo by Jeremy Daniel

How have you been personally impacted by both COVID and the stay at home order in March?

"I have luckily been staying healthy and as safe as possible here in NY. The beginning of Quarantine was super isolating and scary because New York was the epicenter at that time. Now that things are slowly getting back to a calm and steady rate, it is much easier to handle the stress of COVID."

How has your daily routine changed?

"My routine has changed drastically in terms of cooking! I cook EVERY. DAY. I used to eat out for every meal, it seemed. Learning to make different meals has been a blessing in the midst of all of this. I plan to continue my journey with food and grocery shopping."

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"I HAVE NO IDEA. I am excited & nervous for what’s in store but I am here for it."

When do you think that’ll happen?

"I hope it will happen sometime next summer. Again, I have no idea what theatre will look like in the future but I hope it’s still a live experience with a live audience in some capacity."

Max Crumm and Laura Osnes in Grease
photo by Joan Marcus

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"I have been playing Guild Wars 2 (shout out to any gamers out there!) it’s a GIGANTIC Rpg fantasy computer game that has kept me BUSY:) I started a virtual studio a couple of months ago. So a lot of my attention has gone to teaching acting lessons & personal coaching sessions on zoom! The VS (virtual studio) is a space for performers/everyday people to work on whatever they want with me - An upcoming audition, public speaking, memorizing lines, acting through a song...you name it, I can help! It's been super rewarding to be able to connect with people from all walks of life.  Hopefully the virtual studio can grow and grow into a much bigger, meaningful business. I love helping artists! hit me up!"  (For information or answers to questions about Max's virtual acting, coaching and singing classes, email him at COACHCRUMM@gmail.com )

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"I have always loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer but have recently re-watched almost all of the seasons. I’m about half-way through the series!"

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"COOKING :-) "

How has this experience changed you?

"I think it has made me realize what really matters. Spending quality time with the ones i love and Spending quality time with myself. I have also become an avid biker.. i bought a bicycle and I am never NOT riding it by the river. (with my mask on of course) "

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to now that most states are starting to lift the stay at home order?

"Being able to get together with friends and have a drink outside. Hopefully enjoy a bit of the summer :) "


No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.