Sunday, July 19, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: MAREN MACLEAN

Maren Maclean and Sasha Wordlaw in
The Revolutionists by Lauren Gunderson for The Bridge Initiative
photo by Laura Durant

by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate, continues today with a conversation with Valley actress Maren Maclean.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight into what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

Maclean: "Was very much looking forward to my daughter’s choir concert. I was also honored to be prepping for Gertrude in Hamlet for Flagstaff Shakespeare."

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation? 

"My job teaching Shakespeare for Marin Shakespeare Company's Arts in Corrections program came to a screeching halt on March 13th. Most recently, over half of the inmates at Chuckawalla Valley State Prison have contracted COVID 19. To say this is heartbreaking is a dire understatement. Please tune in to the podcast Ear Hustle for some true insight to an exploding epidemic of our incarceration protocol."

How has your daily routine changed? 

"My kiddos have not seen their friends except for these crazy drive-by Birthday parades. I’ve gained 10 pounds. I revel in naps. AND I have found our society increasingly frustrating."

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts? 

"So much, I am not certain where to begin. I sincerely pray this is giving every artist a time to reflect and consider a deep plan of authentic inclusion and true safe spaces in all of the upcoming plans to play. I'm hoping that we can save some money and utilize all the positive skills we learned in Zoom or Teams, etc., for some alternative design meetings and table work. I think our unions have a LOT of work ahead of them too, but that is for another Q & A (and bottle of Shiraz)."

When do you think that’ll happen? 

"I must trust that the theatres are working like mad now to hopefully open January 2021, but with these new numbers, I am not holding my breath"

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time? 

"I have joined a few groups in order to learn more about anti-racism and to listen HARD. I am fortunate to have been working on some education reform with current leaders here in the valley and regionally. Lots of Zoom readings, which I gratefully lean on my creative friends to organize. I’m sewing, cooking a ton, learning Spanish and brushing up on my American Sign Language, as well."

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched? 

"My hubby Chris and I have dug Ozark. I binged High Fidelity and Schitt’s Creek on my own and LOVED both. My oldest and I were thrilled with Legendary and cannot WAIT for more episodes. And my youngest and I finished Riverdale in a matter of days (don’t judge!)."

Any new work you’ve taken on? 

"Meditation on my privilege. I have never been good at meditation. Always have a hard time clearly my head. But I am trying and finding fleeting moments where it is actually working. LOTS of work to do."

How has this experience changed you? 

"It continues to change me. Words like 'action' and 'community' are different to me know. I’m tried one hour and highly motivated the next, no caffeine necessary. I don’t’ want to return to hustle and bustle and 'my plate overfloweth'. I would like to see the closeness I feel to the true friends I am finding on our way through this. I enjoy the quiet, hibernation with my family."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to when the stay at home order is lifted? 

"A meal with my parents at their dining room table."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.