Sunday, July 12, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: LIZ FALLON

Liz Fallon in Funny Girl
Arizona Broadway Theatre
Photo by Scott Samplin
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate and the recent protests to fight racial injustice, continues today with a conversation with Valley actress Liz Fallon, who has appeared in over a dozen shows at Arizona Broadway Theatre and was playing Roxie in their production of Chicago when Arizona's stay at home order went into effect.

The COVID-19 virus and the protests for racial equality in support of #blacklivesmatter  have affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight into what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

"We were about to finish our opening weekend of Chicago at Arizona Broadway Theater when Governor Ducey said that large gatherings were prohibited. I felt really lucky to have had the opportunity to at least open our show. I know some amazingly talented folks in and out of state who didn't get that chance. Plus, every show we did do that weekend had this 'leave it all on the stage' kind of energy throughout the cast. Opening night is always amazing, but the thought that our opening could also be our closing, made every show sacred. It was a really special weekend and I cannot wait to be back with that talented cast on that beautiful set. "

How have you been personally impacted by both COVID and the stay at home order in March as well as the current situation with the protests fighting for racial justice and #blacklivesmatter?

"As far as the 'Rona' goes, aside from the show closing, I am thankfully healthy and safe. I have had the opportunity to nest in our new apartment with my fabulous roommates Jamie Parnell and Stephen Hohendorf. Of course, it's challenging to stay distant from family and friends and to not be able to do what we love. I'm very grateful for the sacrifice and bravery of all the first responders and essential workers who allow me to stay safe and healthy at home. 

I've also been incredibly impacted by the murders of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd. My heart aches for the Black community, and I'm taking this time to read, to research, to watch movies and hear stories, to contact those in power, to donate, to sign petitions, and to have the sometimes uncomfortable, yet incredibly necessary, discussions about race in America with family and friends. I find it challenging to find the right words during this time, and yet, I yearn to show my support to the Black community and all communities of color. I have learned throughout this time, however, that being silently anti-racist is unacceptable, and so I'm trying to educate myself on how to be a better ally. This quote sums it up best: 'I understand that I will never understand. However, I stand.' "

How has your daily routine changed?

"Woof. Well, I don't really leave the apartment, so that's a pretty big change. Life moves at a much slower pace nowadays, and I really think that's a gift. Moving from New York to Phoenix was a whirlwind, and I'm trying to use this downtime to breathe, reflect, and set some goals for the future and my new life in a 'new' city. It's scary and exciting, but I'm lucky to have this downtime to transition. That, and I'm listening to A LOT of news radio. Like....all the time. "

Liz Fallon in Chicago
photo courtesy Arizona Broadway Theatre
What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"Everything? And I think that's for the best. I know we have some incredibly intelligent people in charge of the Phoenix theatre scene, and I trust that they will keep the community on and off the stage as healthy as possible. "

When do you think that’ll happen?

"My guess is sometime in the late fall, maybe early winter? I have no idea. It must be such a daunting task to make that call. But like I said, I trust the powers that be, and I'll be ready with my mask, clorox wipes, and peanut butter pretzel pillows whenever that time comes. "

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"Drinking? Haha only kind of kidding. Like I mentioned earlier, we have nested and re-nested in our apartment. The first month and a half were spent painting and ordering every kind of decor online, so that was fun! 

Then I started running a lot and taking online dance classes. My favorite classes from New York are now available via Zoom, so I have mastered the art of living room dancing! Let me tell you, trying to do a combination that is made for a large New York studio, in a third floor Phoenix apartment in your socks, and making sure you don't kick any furniture, is an art. 

And then, after having a conversation about how lucky I am to be healthy and able-bodied during this quarantine, I kicked a weight and broke my toe. Literally. I felt happy and started groovin around my small bedroom, and kicked a dumbbell on the floor. Bye bye dancing and running!

I did find a way to tap dance in my boot while sitting on an ottoman, though. So not all joy was lost. That, and you don't drink wine with your toes :) "

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"What haven't I watched at this point....some highlights are Little Fires Everywhere, Big Little Lies, Mrs. America, Killing Eve, Fleabag, and of course, Ozark. We recently started Westworld, and I'm totally hooked! It's definitely not what I expected the show would be, and so far, I highly recommend it!"

Liz Fallon and the cast of Xanadu - Arizona Broadway Theatre
Photo by Scott Samplin
Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"Cooking!!! I'm so excited about this one. I have always wanted to learn how to cook, and I feel like I'm way too old to only know how to make a few dishes. The boys have been great about letting me try recipes on them. I'd have to say my favorite thing I've made so far was a Tuscan butter chicken with roasted veggies. The highlight of my week is Friday night, when I get to make dinner for the three of us and we watch the ABT cabaret.; it's like our own little quarantined dinner theater! We went through a tense period where I kept making dessert recipes that were meant to serve, oh, about twelve people, and that was rough for all of our waistlines. Thankfully, I've cooled it on the desserts...for now. "

How has this experience changed you?

Honestly, I was a little freaked about the move and how I was going to make everything work. Local actors in Phoenix are freaks in the best way. They juggle insane schedules for shows, multiple jobs, and sometimes even babies! It's going to be a puzzle to figure out the local performer life. Before the Rona, I was nervous, but now I'm so excited to immerse myself in different parts of the Phoenix theatre scene and learn from those freaks I so admire. There are so many different opportunities to be creative here, and this time has taught me to just breathe and lean into the unknown. Into the unknown. Into the unNAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWUHHHAAAHOOOOOON. Had to. "

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to now that Arizona and most states have lifted the stay at home order?

"I'm excited & scared to go visit my family in St. Louis. It's been a minute since I've been home, but I'm still nervous about potentially making them sick. My schedule is usually bananas, so I want to take advantage of this forced downtime in the arts. My family is great about visiting me in Arizona, but I'm usually in the middle of a show, so having the opportunity where all of us can really relax and spend some quality time together will be wonderful. "

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.