Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: SCOTT HYDER

Scott Hyder
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate and the recent protests to fight racial injustice, continues today with a conversation with Valley actor Scott Hyder.

The COVID-19 virus and the protests for racial equality in support of #blacklivesmatter  have affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight into what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

"I was in tech for All My Sons at Stage Left Productions. The shutdown happened a few days before we were supposed to open."

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

"I am fortunate to be able to work easily from home. My family and I are healthy, knock on wood. I am having a hard time not being able to perform. Before the pandemic, my nights were busy with rehearsals and performances. Now, I have too much time to think, watch too much cable news, and eat more than I should (although I am back on my diet for the time being). It is very easy to become isolated and anti-social when you don’t get out of the house."

How has your daily routine changed?

"The most significant changes are not participating in theater and getting together in-person with friends. Ironically, I would always complain about my long commute to and from rehearsal. What I would give to have that commute again."

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"I’m not a theater operations expert. My gut tells me that there will be anxiety for a while, both from audience members and performers. Things will start slowly. There may be more cabarets or smaller shows that are cost-efficient and allow for social distancing with smaller audiences. There may be more outdoor performances.

Until there is a vaccine or medicine that prevents serious escalation of the disease, willing audiences and performers will have risk. The key is being educated and taking precautions, so you can make a calculated risk. The frustrating thing is that if testing and tracing would just become readily available, we would be able to make that calculation with more confidence."

When do you think that’ll happen?

"That’s the million dollar question. I think it will depend on when there are some clear guidelines to minimize the transmission of this virus between cast and crew (i.e., safety guidelines from Actors’ Equity). It comes down to when audiences are willing to come out. Maybe October or November? If we see an escalation of cases within the next couple of months, I can’t see how theaters can reopen until next year."

Scott Hyder and Michael Stewart in The Producers - Fountain Hills Theater
photo by Stephanie "Tippi" Hart

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"I recently performed in Radio Free Europa for Space 55. The theater initially slated it to be its final show. The play focuses on a late-night radio show host and involves a series of telephone calls and interviews. The author Ashley Naftule cleverly adapted his play into a virtual show. All of the actors read their scenes via Zoom. It was presented live on YouTube every weekend, with amazing illustrations and sound effects. The viewer never sees the actors, only hears them. I hope people tuned in to see it. It was free, but donations to Space 55 are appreciated. It closed on June 7th and I believe the plans are for one of the performances to be available permanently to view.

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"I’ve been watching a lot of older shows, for some reason. There is a craving for nostalgia during stressful times. I watched Defending Jacob and The Morning Show on Apple TV. I wasted a couple of evenings of my life that I’ll never get back watching Tiger King. "

 Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"Not really. I've been doing more things around the house. Believe it or not, I find peace doing mundane things around the house that I should have done a year ago. I always spent my time memorizing lines and going to rehearsal. I am bored out of my mind without doing theater."


Scott Hyder and the cast of Follies
TheateWorks
photo by Wade Moran
How has this experience changed you?

"I realize how much I took for granted, particularly the opportunity to perform. I took it for granted that many of the theaters with whom I customarily perform would always be there, ready to welcome me whenever I was itching to get on stage. This tragedy has made me realize how fragile that infrastructure is. We all need to support the theaters and their staff in any way that we can.

In addition, watching these protesters for the last two weeks has been a much-needed wake-up call for me. They are fighting against racism and injustice, and they are wearing masks doing it. I was reading how several New York City theaters have opened their lobbies to provide a safe space for protesters. Some theater lobbies have offered protesters bathrooms, water, and a place to rest. The protesters’ determination inspires me, and I need to get off my butt and try to help any way I can."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to now that Arizona and most states have lifted the stay at home order?

"Even though it's already been lifted, I am still staying home other than going to the grocery store or Target occasionally. When the worst is behind us, and I feel more relaxed about getting out, I look forward to seeing and talking with friends again, joking around, and interacting person-to-person."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.