Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: ASHLEY WHITE

Ashley White
photo by Andre Harrison II
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate, continues today with a conversation with Phoenix actress Ashley White.

The COVID-19 virus and the recent protests in support of racial injustice have affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight into what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started? 

White: "I was preparing for a callback for Beauty & Beast at Hale Center Theater. I was heartbroken that the show had to be rescheduled."

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation? 

"Regarding COVID-19 I have been blessed to still have my full-time job in which I currently work from home. I have also been able to start two businesses (a podcast  called 'Life Around Us' and a livestream called 'Better Together Phoenix: A Live Stream Experience') however, my heart has truly been shattered regarding the recent events surrounding the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery 

I am very saddened to see the state of our society today. I am currently making use of my business platforms (my podcast and livestream) to let my voice be heard and speak out against the senseless violence that has taken place. It is time to make a stand and evoke change. This is where what we do as creatives is so needed and important. What we do can serve as platforms to speak out and also serve as healing for those who are hurting in this time. I encourage all of my fellow creatives to take a stand and let your voice be heard!

How has your daily routine changed? 

"Due to COVID I am currently working from home for my full-time job however, it has not changed my daily routine too much. It has however allowed me more time in my schedule/day to record for my podcast and build my artist repertoire. "

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts? 

"I can imagine that there may be a chance that we will potentially see more social distancing in theaters as to prevent the further spread of corona-virus."

When do you think that’ll happen? 

"I am hoping that theaters will open sooner then later!!! I miss my theater family and the stage!"

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time? 

"I have learned new monologues and songs to add to my audition repertoire."

Ashley White in Disney's Newsies - Hale Centre Theatre
photo by Nick Woodward-Shaw

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched? 

"I am a huge fan of Law & Order: SVU, I have been re-watching the entire show from Season 1 to Season 21...never gets old andddd I hear that Elliot Stabler is RETURNING to Season 22!!"

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on? 

"I have recently started a podcast called "Life Around Us" with my co-host Anthony Jones (Shameless plug: Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Spotify and Sound Cloud). It is a podcast with two creatives talking about real life and how it "revolves" around us! I also host a bi-weekly live-stream show called "Better Together Phoenix: A Live-stream Experience". It is a platform that was created by creatives as a way for us to continue to operate in our craft amidst the pandemic while maintaining safety precautions. "

How has this experience changed you? 

"This experience has definitely made me more appreciative for my loved ones and what I have. I appreciate even the small things. It has also allowed me to develop my skills as an actor and a singer and opened new doors for me to venture into areas that I have never experienced."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to now that Arizona and most states have lifted the stay at home order? 

"I am most looking forward to theater ramping back up. WE NEED THE ARTS!!! As creatives, we are ESSENTIAL!!!"

Ashley White in Aida -Hale Centre Theatre
photo by Nick Woodward-Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.