Monday, June 22, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: ALYSSA CHIARELLO

Alyssa Chiarello
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate and the recent protests to fight racial injustice, continues today with a conversation with Valley actress Alyssa Chiarello.

The COVID-19 virus and the protests for racial equality in support of #blacklivesmatter  have affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight into what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?  

"I was two weeks away from starting rehearsals for The Rocky Horror Show with the Phoenix Theatre Company where I was playing the role of Janet and I had a performance of Brock Pro Entertainment's Brockway Concert that was canceled/postponed. "

How have you been personally impacted by both COVID and the stay at home order in March as well as the current situation with the protests fighting for racial justice and #blacklivesmatter? 

"I am a caregiver for my father so COVID has impacted me personally because I have to be more cautious and conscious than most so I can continue to be there for him without endangering him. In regards to the current racial justice situation, it unfortunately is not just current it's been ongoing. It's current now because it's just now being brought to significant attention. It makes me proud the way we as a community of human beings have come together to peacefully protest and stand by each other to fight for each other regardless of race. In regards to #blacklivesmatter and as a Mexican-American woman who has seen prejudice directly affect my family, I wish people would truly take the time to listen and take initiative of what positive action they can take rather than argue so much on social media."

How has your daily routine changed? 

"My daily routine has changed significantly in the sense that everything is much more relaxed. I wouldn't say things have slowed down as far as what needs to get done, but there isn't a rush to get anywhere at a specific time. My schedule used to be, wake up, go to the gym, see my family, then go to the theatre. I had become used to having a more regimented schedule so I almost didn't know where to start creating a new schedule. "

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts? 

"I feel that some people may be understandably hesitant, and there will be some social distant regulations. However, I think overall the big difference will be the exhilarated buzz from the actors and the patrons. Every theatre lover, whether patron or performer, are missing it on deeper levels than they imagined. Some people are realizing now just how much they depended on it since it's been taken away. Live theatre is a beautiful outlet that connects people to each other and themselves in new inspiring ways and in ways that they maybe forgot. "

When do you think that’ll happen? 

"I am hoping that it will happen by Fall or Winter of this year."

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time? 

"I'm very excited about an upcoming Latina concert I am working on with Brock Pro Entertainment where I'll be leading the vocals of the best hits of Gloria Estefan, Selena, Shakira, and Jennifer Lopez with choreography by Nick Flores. I've also set up an at-home studio in my house to do some free-lance music recordings and to start working on some projects of my own as well. "

Alyssa Chiarello in Evita 
The Phoenix Theatre Company
photo by Erin Evangeline Photography


Any binge tv shows you’ve watched? 

"Oh absolutely! My top 3 binge watching consists of Ozark, Family Matters, and catching up on Supernatural."

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on? 

"I love reading, but I didn't always have time for it with my schedule prior to this. So I am catching up on books I've been wanting to read, re-reading some favorites, and working on projects around the house I have been wanting to get done. "

How has the experiences of the past three months changed you? 

"I thought myself to already be pretty self-sufficient (especially after living in New York) but I've found a new level of self-sufficiency/independence that makes me feel more proud and able. "

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to now that Arizona and most states have lifted the stay at home order? 

"I am most looking forward to seeing and hugging all of my family and friends. I have a large family but we haven't been able to all gather together like we normally would since this has happened. I also have some really amazing friends in my life who are family to me and I have missed seeing them so much."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.