Saturday, May 23, 2020

Quarnatine Q/A: JAMES MAY

James May in the orchestra pit at Arizona Broadway Theatre

by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate, continues today with a conversation with Broadway, National and International Tour, and Arizona Broadway Theatre Music Director and Conductor, James May.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?  

May: "I was preparing a cabaret show for a friend in LA, and of course it got canceled. But we hope to restart as soon as we can!"

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?  

"I live on my own, so for me, it has been a very lonely time. I try to Facetime, or Zoom whenever I can, but almost all the time I am 'on my own'. It has provided a lot of extra time to work on new projects, brush up on my Spanish, read more books on theater (presently I am re-reading those two wonderful books on lyrics by my idol, Stephen Sondheim!!"

How has your daily routine changed?  

"I love to explore places, and although we are supposed to stay home, I have been taking short or not so short road trips quite often. It is just me in the car, going to Sedona, or Prescott, or various hiking places that I can accomplish without too much physical harm! LOL! I listen to glorious music, especially Mahler, Sondheim, and whatever else is floating my boat that day. One day I was in Sedona, and I was playing 'The Grand Canyon Suite', by Ferde Grofe, a symphonic piece which glorifies the wonders of Arizona, while marveling at the red rocks!

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?   

"I try to be positive, but if social distancing is the rule, I don't see how theaters can survive playing to 33% houses. I know that once there is a vaccine, we can all return to normal. But that may be a year or more. So if people can dig deep and try to be generous in supporting their favorite theater with a donation, no matter how large or small, it's a great thing to do, as well as quarantine cabarets! I also think, for a while anyway, cast sizes could be smaller, orchestras smaller. "

When do you think that’ll happen?   

"I feel like there will be some attempts to restart by summer, maybe late summer. Actually, I plan on winning the lottery and giving it all to theaters in town!!!! HAHA!!!"

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time? 

"The activities I mentioned earlier. Also cooking new things, hiking new places (more remote places) and I am writing some  Christmas songs for an album that will be put out late this year by former members of a group for which I used to be music director....The Young Americans. It is so fun to write Christmas music when it is 105 outside!"

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched? 

"Not really, except for Ozark and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I also like to go to HBO and pick a movie I haven't seen, or one I have seen, but long ago."

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?  

"Being a better housecleaner!  Coin collecting. I have a collection of 1882 Silver Dollars I enjoy looking at!"

How has this experience changed you? 

"I worry very much for our country. More than ever. I have never seen such bitter vitriolic division. And a national disaster like this should bring us all together, like 9/11 did. But I don't sense that is the case now.  I used to be more positive, and I am trying to maintain that attitude, but this has changed me, not all for good."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to not that the stay at home order has been lifted and some businesses have started to reopen?

"Oh wow, I am most looking forward to going to the theater, restaurants, movies, and maybe even a baseball game! I know, you asked for ONE, but I am rarin' to go. I gotta get up, I gotta get out, I gotta get up, get out, and DO IT!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.