Thursday, May 28, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: RICHARD POWERS HARDT

Richard Powers Hardt
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews, which focus on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community an
d their reaction to Arizona's stay at home mandate, continues today with a conversation with Valley director Richard Powers Hardt.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

"Yes!  And I still am, we are in Zoom rehearsal for Reza's Art at the Ghostlight Theatre.  I also helped to prepare the ariZoni adjudicator training for next year, which we just had over 100 people attend over 4 Zoom training sessions."

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

Powers Hardt: "Definitely been impacted but I am lucky enough to still be working, I'm a teacher so I teach classes online every day. "

How has your daily routine changed?

"Most days I get up later. I'm afraid I am much more sedentary of late, but I feel like Jimmy Stewart sometimes, I know exactly what's going on in the neighborhood, when the mail comes, who walks their dog when, if there is a murder committed across the street, I am there. I am counting the days til the pool is warm enough to enter. I find myself locating a lot of little things to do I have needed to do for a long time, organize files, rearrange my study, read plays and I have been trying to do some writing. "

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"It will definitely take a while for the audience to feel safe to go back. We have to be ready for that. It would be nice if theatres got a break on royalties for a while until they are back up and filling the seats again. I fear that we may lose some companies because of this and hope the community will come together to help each other survive, whether that means volunteering sets and costumes from a warehouse or cross promoting or even money. When one theatre thrives it is only good for the rest of us. I think there will be more than one discussion between theatres, directors and actors about when it is safe to go back on stage. I know the theatres have to pay the bills, and I also know as a director, I will never ask an actor to come back on stage before they are ready and feel safe to do so. It's understandable. Actors and theatres want to perform. I  have no doubt there are actors who would want to get back out there as soon as possible and I also know there are actors and directors who believe it won't be safe til end of summer or even early fall. Theatre people are extremely resilient and they are collaborators, I believe we will work through this together in the long run in a way that is both sustaining and supportive for everyone involved. Sounds a bit Pollyanic, naive' even,  but I do believe in theatre people and their inherent ability to overcome obstacles. Hell, we've been a 'dying art form' since the invention of film, but we're still here and we will be long, long after I'm gone. "

When do you think that’ll happen?  

"Even though the governor has opened some things up, I honestly don't think we will be able to have large gatherings throughout the Summer.  "

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"Directing, teaching (yes ask any teacher, teaching is extremely creative)  playing 'Draw Classic' with family and theatre friends.   I feel like I'm busier now than before the shut down.  "

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"Wow, strangely enough, not really. I find myself less interested lately. I did watch Doom Patrol on DC Universe which was pretty brilliant actually. I am interested in The Outsider on Netflix, but haven't watched it yet. I am binging less than I thought I would be. I have listened to a lot of music. Discovered a great young folk singer named Max Morin."

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"Zooming. Zooming with my daughter in Cincinnati while we play Azure."

How has this experience changed you?

"I think I found out that I can handle this better than a lot of people. I love directing, I love the theatre and my theatre friends. But I can handle me time very well. I have very little problem with being just with me and my wife Kim, we get along even being around each other 24/7. The other morning, we got up at 4 am and went out to Lake Pleasant just to take photos of the sunrise. It was very affirming."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to not that the stay at home order has been lifted and some businesses have started to reopen?    

"Seeing if any of my online blocking actually works on stage.   And eating out. "

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.