Thursday, May 7, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: MICKEY BRYCE


Mickey Bryce
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of interviews that focuses on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to our current stay at home mandate continues today with a conversation with actor, director and Zao Theatre's Artistic Director, Mickey Bryce. 

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

Bryce: "Zao Theatre was two weeks into Little Shop Of Horrors when the quarantine was initiated."

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

"I am an extrovert, so I have missed time with people.  I have gone to an empty building almost every day, and gotten a lot done, but it’s been a lonely time for sure.  I am also fairly impulsive, and have had to discipline myself to not drop by stores and gas stations and restaurants at will.   I am not a neat-nic or a germ-a-phobe, so certain disciplines have been a challenge for me.  I would much rather play in dirt."

How has your daily routine changed?

"My daily routine has changed dramatically. (no pun intended)  I still get up and go to the church/theatre almost every day.  What has changed is that no one else is there.  No costumers, no set crews, no theatre anything, no rehearsals every night, no CJ, no wonderful people excited to be cast in whatever show it was, no food service volunteers. As a pastor, I have had to establish alternate ways to communicate and shepherd our congregation through online technology, telephones, and written communication.  Every week, we send a sermon and worship to our congregation online.  We have included our Zao friends in this transmission during this pandemic as well.  "

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"I am not sure about the answer to this.  My guess is that we will transition back to integration with each other gradually just as we transitioned to the quarantine.  Each theatre will have to instill confidence in people that precautions have been taken to provide a safe environment to reintegrate, especially in the initial stages of our return to normal. I think also we will see some changes in what people are comfortable doing in open society in terms of proximity and touch.  This will be a shame since we are social creatures. "

When do you think that’ll happen?

"I think we will see this begin in May or June, and be fully accomplished by August.  I may be wrong."

Mickey Bryce in Zao Theatre's A Few Good Men
photo courtesy Zao Theatre


What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"Most of my creativity has been at the working end of a hand tool, and on a hydraulic lift.  I have spent the last six weeks or so doing technical improvements to our theatre space.  I added 36 new lighting circuits, relocated 48 circuits, remodeled the front edge of our stage, redid the theatre carpets, rebuilt 3 stair units on the front of the stage, rehung lighting fixtures, hung new curtains in the café area of the theatre, and remodeled our café.  

On the personal side, my wife and I have enjoyed getting to see our kids and grandkids even more often than normal through Zoom teleconferencing.  We have had game nights every week, and many more extended Facetime calls than pre-quarantine."

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"Yes, several.  John Adams, Outer Banks, The Crown, Property Brothers, come to mind."

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"I don’t have room for new hobbies.  My life is too full of old ones: fishing, sports, woodworking, gardening (some), come to mind."

How has this experience changed you?

"I don’t think we know fully, except in retrospect, how experience changes us.  We look back and see that we are changed.  

What I know so far is that I consider the relationships I have more precious than I ever imagined.  This is the cry of a suffering extrovert, no doubt.  But more deeply, I have come to treasure each and every person I know, from the occasional to the daily.  

Second, and I think this is true for all of us; I have experienced my own human frailty more vividly than every before.  This has to do with loneliness, fear, even anger at whatever I may not like.  All of these have driven me back to my faith in Jesus Christ.  This faith has given me great comfort, and has made me easier to live with, I hope. "

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to when the stay at home order is lifted?

"A long rehearsal with Adam, Tyler, Elizabeth, Bryan, CJ, David, Ashley, Becca, Brianne, Sarai, Lizz, Hale, et al."



No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.