Friday, May 8, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: MICHAEL BARNARD

Michael Barnard
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of "Quarantine" interviews that focuses on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to our current stay at home mandate continues today with a conversation with The Phoenix Theatre Company's Producing Artistic Director, Michael Barnard. 

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.


Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started? 

"We had just finished the first dress rehearsal of Something Rotten! when we had to close. We had gone through tech, all the costumes made, set built. The set is still sitting in our MainStage Theatre waiting for an audience. Something Rotten! is certainly the perfect show to open with once it is safe to open. It’s nothing but fun, zany, great dances, fun songs and pure escapism. "

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

"It’s hard not to worry about the future. The Phoenix Theatre Company has such a hardworking, dedicated staff, the best in the business. We’ve been able to keep our 48+ full-time artists and arts administrators employed. I want to do everything in my power to ensure they are safe, healthy and taken care of."

How has your daily routine changed? 

"I’m at home on 'Zoom' calls a lot. It is so difficult to be without the world of theatre. The challenges of this virus have shaken our world for sure. I lived in a world of meeting, greeting, entertaining, engaging, teaching and uniting folks together, in person. You can’t do much of that these days. My days are 180 degrees different. "

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts? 

"I anticipate fewer audience members in attendance. We’ll put social distancing protocols in place. Less physical contact. No handshaking or hugs. I’m hopeful that those that are here will be very excited to be back, be entertained. Theatre brings out the best of us. We’ll all be thankful for the opportunity to feel normal again."

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?  

"My team and I have been doing lots and lots of planning. We are working on bringing our audiences back, finding new ways to fundraise. I’m working on rewrites of Americano!. I’ve started writing a book. I’m preparing for what the new normal will be like.

We’re thinking up ways to develop online experiences for our supporters. Our Partners That Heal LIVE initiative is still spreading joy in hospitals for kids and adults through online visits. We have a weekly show on Thursday evenings called Behind The Curtain where me, our staff and artists talk about everything that makes theatre so magical. In the works is a series of cabarets and online summer camp classes. We also have a very special event with some great actors who have graced our stage over the years. An Evening With Friends will feature me as the host and guests James Gish, Kathy Fitzgerald, Brittney Mack, Sam Primack and Nick Cartell singing Broadway songs with some fun surprises. It’ll be such a treat!"

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched? 

"The Voice"

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on? 

"Decorating, cleaning my house and yard"

How has this experience changed you? 

"I’ve taken more time to reflect on who I am and what people mean to me. My relationships, friendships, life in general, that’s all deeply important to me right now. "

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to when the stay at home order is lifted? 

"Being a part of a rehearsal. I can’t wait to get back to creating, connecting with humans and making something magical."


No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.