Saturday, May 2, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: MASON REEVES

Mason Reeves, Collin Baja & the company of the touring production of Disney's Frozen
photo by Deen van Meer
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of interviews with individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community continues today with a conversation with Phoenix native Mason Reeves, who is currently playing the role of Kristoff in the National tour of Disney's Frozen!

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

Reeves: "Yes, there was a show I was involved in when the stay at home order started. I was working on the First National Tour of Frozen playing the part of Kristoff! "

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

"Personally, I’ve been impacted in that the tour has been postponed until at least August as of now and perhaps longer. I’m spending the longest period of time at home with my parents and sister that I have for a few years and that’s been a big adjustment- although I love them all very much! Don’t get the wrong idea there, I’ve just gotten used to a certain independence and self-reliance whilst living on the road and beginning my career and it’s been interesting for all of us to get used to being around each other once again. Of course, we’re doing it all with kindness, generosity, and compassion- well, as much as we can, until we all butt heads as families are wont to do from time to time. "

How has your daily routine changed?

"My daily routine has changed very little, actually. Of course, I was used to having to do eight shows a week and staying on top of my health and rest to make sure I was physically and mentally capable of sustaining, but other than that I actually found that I had a lot of free time once the tour got going. In our first couple cities, there was a lot of press, people to meet, and photoshoots to do, but since then, I’ve mostly had my days free until the shows and have been forced to figure how to spend my free time in a productive and constructive manner. The only things that have really changed since I’ve been home is that I’ve been running and doing a lot of additional cardio to make up for the energy I was used to expending in the show every night; I’ve begun teaching acting lessons to give back as much as I can to folks, keep myself on top of my technique, and give myself and others something to focus on (send me a facebook or Instagram message if you’re of high-school age and might be interested, I love a shameless plug); and lastly, I’ve enrolled in a series of free online courses that Ivy League schools have been offering online to ensure that I continue growing as an individual and a well-rounded, thoughtful, curious artist! These are things that I’d been wanting to get around to doing and I am thankful for this time for giving me the opportunity to build these routines and habits. "

Mason Reeves outside the St. James Theatre in New York City
home to Disney's Frozen

photo courtesy Mason Reeves 
What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"I feel that the theater will absolutely have an air of caution about it. I think mask requirements, gloves, and distancing (as much as possible) will be the norm- at least until a vaccine gets released. It’s very odd being a part of a profession that requires thousands of people to sit in one room together when that is the exact opposite of what should happen, but I hope with a limiting of available seats to 2/3 or lower of house capacity, audiences will feel comfortable to come back and enjoy a lovely night of theater with us and others. Furthermore, creatively I think that we will hopefully see a rise of fresh, innovative theater makers that have finally been able to finish that project they’d been working on but didn’t have the time for. We’ve been seeing a wonderful wave of  society-challenging and complex stories in plays for a little while now, but I’m excited to see how this period will affect the creativity and originality of musical theater productions and the types of people working on them in the seasons to come!"

When do you think that’ll happen?

"I think we’ll start seeing a slight return of theatre in a very restrained capacity possibly early fall, but I cannot say for sure, and I am no expert! Just a hopeful performer. Currently, after a series of pushbacks we are slated to begin Frozen again in August, but who knows if that’ll be pushed back again! "

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"To stay creative during this time, I have been teaching acting, writing little monologues for myself (that I will be filming and posting soon), writing poetry, reading about philosophy, studying Buddhism, working on story-analysis, and I’ve been singing and playing guitar when I feel particularly angsty!"

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"Okay, yes. I’m going to come out and say it, I LOVE anime and I’m not ashamed anymore, okay. I have so far binged the entirety of 'Bleach,' which has some great story-telling, 'Mob Psycho 100,' which has heart-breaking and complex characters, and 'Hunter x Hunter,' which has both! Not all during quarantine, of course, but they are binge-worthy in my opinion. Also- just started 'Insecure,' which is a show with real humans in it, okay, and one that has captured me currently, as well."

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"Yes! Taking online courses for fun and knowledge is my official new hobby. I find it engaging, growth-inducing, and thought-provoking and it always gives me a new lens through which to look at my life and work to improve it. Other than that, just a slight return to older ones like running and teaching!"

How has this experience changed you?

"This experience has changed me very positively, I think. The fact that I have had so much free-time and energy and very little responsibility has given me the space to look at my life and get creative about the way that I wish to spend my time meaningfully. Building a routine for myself, crafting goals, and engaging in activities that are fun and challenging in this period of downtime has helped me clarify what I want my purpose to be in life and has helped me find the tools that will allow me to work in the direction of that purpose every day."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to when the stay at home order is lifted?

"I am absolutely looking the most forward to being able to go back to restaurants and coffee shops to sit down by myself again. I was starting to learn that one of my sincerest joys in life was to be able to have experiences by myself and spend time in a place that is not as confining as my own house or apartment can be. I always found that it helped focus me and make me more appreciative of life and all the people that are around me. Also hugs. From someone other than my mother. I’d love a hug. "

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.