Sunday, May 3, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: LARISSA BREWINGTON

Larissa Brewington
in A Vote from Alice
Photography by Herberger Theater Center
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of interviews with individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community continues today with a conversation with Phoenix playwright and actress Larissa Brewington.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started?

"Yes. I was about to start rehearsals to act in a formal read of a play called Glory (written by N.N. Ewing), for The Bridge Initiative at Tempe Center of the Arts as part of their Bechdel Fest, March 28th.  I then was rounding up a cast for a two-day formal read of my full-length play The Fire In Minerva, for Now and Then Creative Company 4/3 and 4/4. "

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation?

"I’ve been very fortunate because I’m still able to work my day job. And we were also given options of taking some time off work. I think it’s rough enough having to be quarantined, but to be quarantined without income or health insurance is a terrible thought."

How has your daily routine changed?

"I’m an introvert so I was never much for going out. However, I must say that it feels very odd, and next level to be specifically restricted from socializing. I know a lot of extroverts who are suffering. I used to make light, but now I honestly feel for them."


Larissa Brewington and Justin Hosten in
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

photo courtesy Don Bluth Front Row Theatre
What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"I think people will be very apprehensive about how they reenter the world again at first. I know it seems as though there are too many people who are chomping at the bit, as we see with some of the reopenings, but I do think they are in the minority. I feel it’s going to be very slow starting.

Creatively? I certainly believe there’s going to be a lot of entertainment centering on the topic of isolation!"

When do you think that’ll happen?

"I think we will probably be moving into a full open maybe around late September, early October."

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"I have a lot of ongoing projects in general. However, I’m focusing on two full length plays right now. One I’ve been researching for a few months is about a slave who murdered her master in 1848. This story is unique because she had lawyers who actually attempted to get her freed. I am also working on a piece about ethnic massacres, or times when angry white mobs entered ‘black cities’ and destroyed them. It feels timely because of the discussion of reparations.  …so, you know, very light topics!"

Recently, I wrote a one act about micro-aggressions. The thing is, I was trying to ‘take a break’ after coming off of my Herberger show, When Douglass Met Lincoln back in February. I feel very fortunate that we closed maybe three weeks before the shutdown happened. We’d sold out during the run. I can’t imagine being in the middle of a run and being told that you’ll need to shut down. The disappointment, the feeling that your hard work was wasted… Obviously its important to stay safe and healthy, but even so…"

Fred Gerle and T.A. Burrows in
Larissa Brewington's When Douglass met Lincoln
Lunchtime Theater at the Herberger Theater Center

photo by Larissa Brewington 
Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"I’ve stuck with the old standbys! I’m a Trekkie. Then there’s "Buffy" and "Angel." I did try to step out of the box though. I’ve binged :Travelers," "Community," "Brooklyn Nine One," "Bo Jack Horseman," other things I wouldn’t otherwise watch. I’m not much for bouncing around, but I do feel this is the time to explore."

Any new hobbies you’ve taken on?

"No new hobbies, but definitely newer ideas on how I want to do things in the future. This kind of thing makes you more sensitive to what you don’t have now that you’re forced into not having it, you know? I’m really understanding now how important communication is. Not just the action of communicating, but the reality of connecting. It’s important to reach out to people just to check in. It’s important to know how to reach people when you can’t just go to them."

How has this experience changed you?

"I feel a little more aware of my surroundings. I paid attention before, but things like how many times we touch a door knob, how there’s a technique to hand washing, how careless we are with our personal space… I’m more aware of those things."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to when the stay at home order is lifted?

"I’m looking forward to being able to do my art and be available to people/organizations who conduct the way the arts are done! Planning and mapping out any project from talk to display is never easy, but I feel that maybe I took some of that for granted! Theater companies had to scramble to reorganize what took a year before to setup. It takes time to build an audience, to build loyalty and I’m very concerned that this will be an issue once we’re back up and running. Obviously, theater thrives because of social interaction. We can Zoom and FaceTime, but there is something about ‘all the way live’ that’s important and necessary. The theater companies and organizations that help creators be seen and heard are going to be a real focus to me once this is all done."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.