Monday, May 4, 2020

Quarantine Q/A: BOBB COOPER

Bobb Cooper
by Gil Benbrook

Our series of interviews that focuses on individuals involved in the Phoenix theatre community and their reaction to our current stay at home mandate continues today with a conversation with Valley Youth Theatre's Producing Artistic Director Bobb Cooper.

COVID-19 has affected us all in many ways. The theatre community has been harshly impacted with show closures and postponements. We hope this series of daily interviews will be a way to provide some personal insight to what people are doing during this period of time while highlighting familiar individuals from the theatre community in town.

Was there a show you were in or involved with or preparing for when the stay at home order started? 

Cooper: "Yes, we were in rehearsal for our production of Dear Edwina which was to have opened on April 3rd."

How have you been personally impacted by our current situation? 

"Personally, this has taken a toll on me.  I am trying to keep a positive attitude.  I am getting used to uncertainty and the difficult in planning for the future.  I have had people in my life fight the virus and some who have not made it.  It is heart breaking."

How has your daily routine changed?

"I have spent more time in my home on a daily basis over the past six weeks than I have since I started working with VYT.  In order to keep my sanity, I enjoy taking a hike around the mountain near my home. "

What do you feel will be different when theater restarts?

"This is the great unknown!  Will people want to assemble and feel safe?  Will parents send their children to our camps and classes?  I really don’t feel that we will be safe to resume 'business as usual' until there is a cure and a vaccine."

When do you think that’ll happen? 

"Some time in 2021"

What have you been doing to stay creative during this time?

"We hold Zoom meetings with our VYTeens twice a week and I am in contact with our alum.  We work together to stay creative and inspire each other.  As a staff, we meet several times a week via Zoom and are being a creative together as possible."

Any binge tv shows you’ve watched?

"Schitt’s Creek and Ozark

How has this experience changed you?

"I have learned to relax and listen to the advice I have been giving for a very long time….   Don’t worry about things that you have no control of and keep a positive attitude."

What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to when the stay at home order is lifted?

"Actually, it will be to embrace each other again."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.