Wednesday, October 23, 2019

10 Questions with Patti LuPone, appearing at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts on November 2nd

Patti LuPone
by Gil Benbrook

I've had the honor of seeing Broadway legend and two time Tony Winner Patti LuPone on Broadway in Anything GoesMaster ClassSweeney ToddNoises OffGypsyWomen on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown and The Anarchist. I've also had the privilege of seeing her in concert numerous times, including one of her shows with Mandy Patinkin and her last concert here in Scottsdale.

So, when I was told I had the chance to ask Patti LuPone some questions about her career and her upcoming concert at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts on November 2nd I knew I couldn't pass up that opportunity.

After I painstakingly came up with a list of close to 30 in-depth questions but was then told Ms. LuPone only had time to answer 10, I whittled my list down as best I could to find questions that touch upon her Broadway, TV and concert performances as well as ones that ask her about her family and her past experiences.

Ms. Lupone, first, let's talk about some of your stage roles. What was your most satisfying stage role to play and why?

"Nellie Lovett (in Sweeney Todd) with the New York Philharmonic because it was my first Sondheim role, followed by the ultimate female character in musical theatre, Madame Rose in Gypsy."

What was the one part you had to prepare the most for and what did your preparation include?

"Preparation for a role is half the fun. I don’t think there is “more” prep versus “less” prep. Of course when playing a real, not fictional, person there’s a lot to draw from."

 What stage role of the opposite sex do you wished you'd been able to play, and why?

"I have no desire yet to play a male role."

You're about to play Joanne in the Broadway revival of Company, a role you played in the London production of that show last season and that you also first performed in 2011 in the NY Philharmonic concert version. What made you want to revisit this role again and how has playing against a female Bobbie in this updated version of Company compared to playing against a male Bobby in the 2011 concert production?

"I wanted to be a part of this gender bending revival of Company because I wanted to work with the director, Marianne Elliott. I was so enthralled with her inventiveness in War Horse and Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I think having a woman in the role traditionally played by a man is much more poignant. The question of marriage is posed to women more frequently than to men."

In addition to your vast stage experience you've also starred in or appeared in dozens of TV shows. In Life Goes On, which just celebrated its 30th anniversary of premiering, you portrayed the mother of a child with Down Syndrome, which, I believe, was one of the first depictions in a network TV series. When the show was on, did you feel the importance of that portrayal, or was it not until later when it dawned on you?  And, how did playing Libby on that show make you more aware of how daily life for some people with special needs is a fight to do things that most take for granted?

"I think I understood immediately how important Life Goes On was when I began working with Chris Burke. It was very moving to watch him embrace the challenge of acting, memorizing lines and having a show dedicated to his life with Downs Syndrome. He was a champion for the 4 years we were on. Of course there were difficult moments when the work load became overwhelming. I learned how challenging it must be for parents of special needs children. But ultimately it taught me more of what unconditional love really means."

When you were on Life Goes On you became pregnant with your son Joshua. When I saw you at the Scottsdale Arts Center in 2014, you mentioned that he had recently been out on the road touring with The Acting Company, just like you had done when you were his age. What has he been up to since then and is he still involved with the Acting Company?

"Josh is a struggling actor/ writer with a very cool head on his shoulders. He lives his life as he waits for that one door to open. I’m so proud of the man he has become."

Phoenix is a large city with plenty of youth theatre companies and classes to inspire and help youth performers who want to pursue a career in theatre. You wanted to be a performer at a very young age and you were a member of the first graduating class of Juilliard's Drama Division, so I have to imagine you know how important training and having role models are to young people who have dreams of performing on Broadway one day. What words of advice do you have for aspiring young performers who look up to you and see you as an idol?

"Study your craft. Develop technique. Know the history of the medium you choose to pursue. "

You've been performing for over 40 years yet your singing voice is as clear and strong as ever. As a master at high belting, have you changed your technique over the years or embraced a new vocal range? And are there any specific pre show warmups or post show routines you follow? And are there any diet restrictions, like staying away from dairy, or use a neti-pot to help with your vocal strength?

"I’m still learning how to sing. I have worked with one singing teacher for over 20 years, Joan Lader. She taught me vocal technique and I still see her because I still need to learn something with every score I sing."

Your concerts always seem to have the perfect mix of personal stories that are both humorous and heartfelt along with many familiar tunes that are identified with you, including what many consider to be your signature song, "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," but you always add in some songs that are new to your repertoire. Based on the recording of it, your "Don’t Monkey with Broadway" concert is no exception to that mix of song and story. How difficult is it putting together a show like this and do you labor over trying to make sure the mix of songs and stories is just right?

"I want to have fun onstage. That’s my primary goal. So when I start to work on my solo shows that’s what I think about. If I’m having fun the audience will have fun.  The songs are a result of that focus."

What do you hope Scottsdale audiences will take away from seeing you in concert in Scottsdale on November 2nd?

"I want them to have fun for 2 hours, to forget our painfully troubled world, to remember how music and the arts are a vehicle for emotional healing among all the other benefits."

CLICK HERE for more information on Patti LuPone's "Don’t Monkey with Broadway" concert at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts on Saturday, November 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.