Friday, May 3, 2019

Talking with Tony and Olivier Award Winner LEA SALONGA, who will be appearing in Scottsdale on May 17

Lea Salonga
photo by Raymund Issac
by Gil Benbrook

Thirty years ago a young woman from the Philippines made her London theatre debut in the new musical from the creators of Les Misérables and went on to win an Olivier Award for her efforts. A year after winning the Olivier, she would make her Broadway debut in the show and win the Tony Award at just 18 years old. Winning that award also made her the first Asian woman to win a Tony.

The show was Miss Saigon and the young woman was Lea Salonga.

Today, after numerous Broadway appearances, including playing both Eponine and Fantine in Les Misérables and receiving acclaim for her performance in the recent revival of Once on this Island, performing in numerous shows in Manila and singing for two Disney princesses in the films Aladdin and Mulan, Salonga is a much in demand actress and singer.

In addition to the many cast recordings and film soundtracks that feature her beautiful voice, Salonga has released several solo albums, including her most recent recording, "The Story of My Life: Lea Salonga Live from Manila."

Salonga is currently on her "The Human Heart" tour, which plays in over two dozen cities in the US as well as dates in the UK and Australia, and will be in Scottsdale on May 17th at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts. At the concert, she'll be performing selections from her most recent live recording, which includes some of her favorite Broadway, Disney, and pop songs, as well as songs from some of the musicals she's appeared in over her career.

Earlier this year, Salonga suffered a broken leg due to a skiing accident and had to postpone some of her concert dates. But that accident, in true "break a leg" fashion, hasn't stopped Salonga who has been using crutches to get around on stage during this concert tour.

Lea took a brief break between her concert dates last week to talk about her past, the shows she's done, her two Disney princess roles, as well as to talk about what's next on her schedule - playing Mrs. Lovett in a production of Sweeney Todd in Manila in the Fall.

Lea, first let me say how honored I am to get to ask you some questions. I saw you in Miss Saigon on Broadway and have been a big fan of yours ever since. This year marks the 30th anniversary of Miss Saigon opening in London. That show clearly changed your life. You won the Olivier Award and the Tony Award for your performance.  Looking back at it now did you feel much pressure being the female lead in the follow up to Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boublil’s Les Misérables? Or were you too young at the time to really realize the pressure they were up against?

"I think everyone was feeling a great deal of pressure, since Miss Saigon was the follow-up to Les Miz, which was an otherworldly hit on both sides of the Atlantic. There were great expectations from Alain and Claude-Michel, as well as from Cameron Mackintosh and Nick Hytner. I tried not to let the pressure get to me, as I already had enough on my plate to worry about. Perhaps it was an advantage to come into the show so young, I could just focus on whatever I needed to do."

After Miss Saigon you went on to appear in numerous musicals, both on Broadway and in your home country of the Philippines, and sung as two Disney princesses. I’d like to ask you a few questions about those experiences. 

You were one of the first actresses to play both Eponine and Fantine in Les Misérables. Which of those two Les Miz characters did you like to perform better, and why?

"I can’t really say which character I enjoyed more, because each one came at just the right time in my life for that persona to appear. Eponine is the young girl experiencing unrequited love. Fantine had far more mature concerns, what with the man she loved leaving her and having to raise a young child, and scraping the bottom of the barrel to support her little girl. Each had their own challenges, but suffice to say I was at that point in my life that was right for when each character arrived for me to play."

You’ve sung for two Disney princesses, Jasmine in Aladdin and Fa Mulan in Mulan. How different was your experience in Aladdin compared to Mulan when you were more experienced, not just in performing but also in being more familiar with the specific requirements of an animated film?

"Well, in Mulan, I got to sing more, which of course made me very happy, but the main difference was that Mulan was a character that I resembled. She was an Asian heroine, and very empowering to other young women that looked like her, like I did. The representation for someone like me was far more powerful, and it was so important for Asian women that that film exists."

The musical Allegiance seemed to be a labor of love for all of those involved. How did your association with that show happen?

"I have to credit George Takei for that. He said that he was already a fan of my work, so he wanted me to be a part of Allegiance. I was involved in it from the first public reading, and stayed with the show until its run on Broadway. The story was just so important to tell, and felt very personal as my husband is Japanese-American. He had relatives that were interned and fought as part of the 442."

Your most recent Broadway appearance was in the revival of Once on this Island. How was it to perform in the round and having all the audience so close to you? Any fun stories or experiences that resulted from how that show was staged?

"All the fun stuff happened during the preshow, where everyone in the cast (except for our Ti Moune, Hailey Kilgore) came out in character and was able to interact with the audience. I would usually drape a mosquito net on young children and romantically involved couples, either giving a story about mortals turning into gods, or talking about Filipino wedding traditions that involved a veil. It was so much fun to do."

You've also appeared in several modern plays, including Proof and God of Carnage - are there any other plays you'd like to tackle?

"Oh goodness I don’t know! It’s not something I think about as I’m drawn to musicals much more."

You’ve also played the lead in Cinderella, Mei-li in the Broadway revival of Flower Drum Song, Grizabella in Cats, the Witch in Into the Woods and Helen in Fun Home. Having played so many different characters, in both classic and new musicals, which role has been your favorite and why?

"My favorite show is the one I’m either currently involved with, or was the last one I did. That’s it! I immerse myself in whatever I’m playing at the moment and try not to think about the past."

Lea Salonga in concert
photo courtesy Lea Salonga
You've created many iconic roles on both stage and screen, as well as played several beloved classic musical roles but what musical roles are you still itching to play and why? Personally, I'd love to see you as Mama Rose in a few years.

"Yeah, give me a few years before I tackle Mama Rose! Maybe when I’m deep in my 50’s! In the meanwhile, I have Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd to start preparing for. I’ll be doing that in Manila this October."

I think you will be superb as Lovett. I believe your last concert in Phoenix was a few years ago when you appeared with the Phoenix Symphony Orchestra. I was there and thought  your performance of “Burn” from Hamilton was superb. What other current shows are you passionate about and why?

"I’m about to see Hadestown and Oklahoma, so for sure I’ll be head over heels crazy about them, but one show that stuck to my heart was Come From Away. Just the kindness shown by the people of Gander which was then placed on that stage with so much love and joy is something everyone needs to watch. It will renew your faith in humanity."

Come from Away is also a personal favorite of mine. I know your brother Gerard has been musical director for some of your concerts in the past. Will he be with you in Scottsdale? And what are the pros and cons of working with family?

"Nope, he won’t be with me as he has his own professional and personal life to be on top of. He’s currently the resident conductor of the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra, and is dad to two amazing kids. His plate is full. Working with family is something we’ve become very good at. There’s a shorthand which makes communication efficient, and no ego. We know each other only too well."

When you first appeared in Miss Saigon you were just 18. We have a large number of youth performers in the Phoenix area, including one who just joined the cast of Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway and another who is currently in the national tour cast of that show. For any young performers who are reading this, what do you believe are the biggest pitfalls they should avoid when they go to NYC?

"Avoid the sycophants! Enjoy the adoration of your fans, but at the same time, stay grounded in the truth. A lot of folks can get way too immersed in the adulation of others that they forget what the reality of things is. And “yes men” are dangerous to have around. "

You seem to be always performing, either in concert or a show. What do you do....or drink....when you're sick but still have to perform?

"I try to see a doctor in town and follow his/her instructions. If I’m fighting an infection, antibiotics might get prescribed. If it’s a virus, all I can do is try to handle symptoms and be mindful of my singing technique. Singing can be very hard, but Throat Coat tea helps... glycerin pastilles... lots and lots of water... essential oils... and sleeeeeeeeeeep."

Your most recent recording "The Story of My Life: Lea Salonga Live from Manila" was just released. Can audiences in Scottsdale expect to hear you sing selections from that recording? Or are there any other songs that weren’t on that recording that you plan to sing?

"I’ll need to look at both set lists to see what they’ll have in common as the Scottsdale set list might have some marked differences."

What’s next for Lea Salonga?

"After this tour, sleep. Lots and lots of sleep."

CLICK HERE for more information on Lea Salonga's concert at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts on May 17th

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.