Friday, March 15, 2019

Forging Family Bonds to the Music of ABBA: talking with the Mother and Daughter duo of MAMMA MIA! at Arizona Broadway Theatre

Alexandra Carter and Kaitlin Lawrence
photo by Scott Samplin
by Julia Bashaw

It's okay if you haven’t seen the musical. It's alright if you haven’t seen the movie. But, if you've never heard of the hit musical Mamma Mia!, you must have been living under a rock for the past 20 years. Set to the music of ABBA, this timeless musical premiered in London in 1999 and instantly became a crowd pleasing show that's been seen by millions of people around the world. Arizona Broadway Theatre marks the 20th anniversary of the show in a production that features Kaitlin Lawrence as Donna Sheridan and Alexandra Carter as her daughter Sophie Sheridan.

“If we had to answer what it’s about,” Lawrence said, “It's about a mother…”

“...a daughter…” stated Carter.

“...and three possible dads!” they said in unison, laughing.

Sophie Sheridan is getting married and wants her father to walk her down the aisle; there is only one problem, she doesn’t know who he is. She and her mother live in Greece where her mom owns and operates a hotel, but Donna has never revealed the identity of the father. Sophie decides to read her mother’s journal, which includes details of three possible men who could be her father. So, Sophie decides to invite all three to her wedding.

Alexandra Carter
“Sophie is in many ways her mother’s daughter,” said Carter. “She definitely inherited this free-spirited way of life and way of thinking but at the same time, she craves a traditional life. So, I think Sophie is a little bit at war with herself in wanting to honor her mom and the way she was brought up but also wants a traditional white wedding with her father walking her down the aisle. Discovering where she is between those two lifestyles is the little journey that she goes on.”

“Donna is this free-spirited independent single mother,” said Lawrence. “She really lives on this idea of being independent. I think why Sophie wants to get married is because she sees actually that Donna isn’t as strong as she puts on, like every human out there. We can all be independent but we can all have some weak moments which you really get to see with her, especially when these three men come back into her life. She really did raise this daughter all by herself and she is about to lose her daughter, in a way, since she is getting married. At the heart of it, she is just a really passionate person which is what all the men and all the people love about her, but it's also what tends her to get into trouble.”

Lawrence and Carter met on the airplane after being cast. Both have appeared in shows at Arizona Broadway Theatre before along with performing in many musicals across the country. They luckily bonded quickly and found it natural to play mother and daughter.

“I really do feel a natural connection to Alexandra, I feel like she makes my job so much easier,” said Lawrence truthfully. “I feel connected to the show in our scenes and I think we found ways to naturally just relate. We are really lucky.”

“We both communicate really well with each other, so it is really nice working together,” added Carter.

Since Mamma Mia! is such an iconic show, the characters of Donna and Sophie are big shoes to fill. However, that doesn’t stop any actor as long as they can find a connection to their character. Sometimes, it even reveals something about themselves.

Kaitlin Lawrence
“I claim also to be highly independent, just like Donna believes she doesn’t need any help,” explained Lawrence. “I think in ways I relate to the idea that on the exterior I really like to be seen as wildly independent, but I'm also human and I am not afraid to tell you that there are moments when I am in my room staring at the ceiling, just like Donna saying gosh this is a little difficult. I am an actor I move every two months, I don’t have a lot of community, just like Donna sometimes, I feel really connected to her in that way that I know how to look independent whether I feel it in the moment or not. She is one of the characters in my life that I actually feel the most connected to, I love Donna.”

The actions Sophie takes in order to discover the truth might seem a bit rash and rushed. Making this spur of the moment decision does start the plot but also causes a lot of hurt for her mother. It’s not abnormal to wonder if she should have consulted her mother before inviting these three men from her past.

“As me, Alexandra,” began Carter. “I think you should probably talk things out, especially big decisions because honesty and open communication are really important in real life. Looking from Sophie’s eyes, it wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but I think she needed it to open up communication with her mother. She needed it in order to discover herself. If she didn’t invite the three men secretly, none of this would have ever happened. She did what she had to do. I don’t think Sophie would have known how to just ask her, they needed the plot of the show to discover that they really can talk to each other, even if their relationship changes and other people come in, they still have each other.”

When you hear Mamma Mia!, usually ABBA music pops into mind - happiness, and humor. But this show actually has a deeper meaning when you view this relationship between a mother and daughter. Especially a mother and a daughter who only had each other to depend on.

“I am currently in my life a daughter, but not a mother,” Lawrence explained. “In the show, there is a scene where Sophie says to Donna some of the things she didn’t do quite right as a mom. I remember the first time I heard the scene and I remembered saying stuff like that to my mom. I actually called my mom and said I was sorry, that I was just a kid back then and how I really think she did the best she could do. So, I hope every mother and daughter who see this show can relate to the fact that most moms are just doing their best and they aren’t perfect.”

“It is a lot about relationships and communication and the different ways you let people in and let people affect you,” added Carter. “It really is just a lovely show about humans and vulnerability.”

Even though Mamma Mia! is a fun, entertaining show for the audience, it is the cast that has to prepare for the stamina and ability to keep up. Carter and Lawrence have realized the extent to which they have had to push themselves to succeed. And through that, they have discovered what they are capable of and what they have taken away from this experience.











“When you hear Mamma Mia! you think of fun music, upbeat numbers, and a happy fun show,” stated Carter. “Musically speaking, it is one of the hardest pieces I have ever done. There is so much music, so many harmonies, and intricate parts, it is non-stop! Having the energy to run the marathon of the show has been a muscle I needed to get stretched out.”

“I go on moment by moment because that is the way it is written and I want to live my life more like that,” Lawrence stated firmly. “I try to remember that even on my worst days I can find a moment to be a 'Dancing Queen.' ”

“And nothing gets me excited like a good ABBA song,” Carter added. “It is so contagious, you can’t help but get into it and excited.”

“Doesn’t matter if you know ABBA when you come,” Lawrence laughed. “You’re going to love it when you leave!”

Mamma Mia! runs at Arizona Broadway Theatre from March 15th-April 20th. Carter, Lawrence, and the cast could not be more excited for audiences to come and h'ave a good time.

“I hope you leave with a warm, full heart, dancing all the way home.” Carter smiled.

“Silence your cell phone and for two hours go on this journey with us,” Lawrence said. “Maybe you can put your life down, come join us, and just have a good time. I think the cast would agree that we all bring all of our hearts to it. When you come to the theatre you are going to see a bunch of humans that really want to be up there. Putting our hearts and souls into every moment of the show.”

CLICK HERE for more information on this production, which runs through April 14th

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.